Don't enjoy eating out as much

Sio

Anyone else find that when you go out for dinner you finrst hink Oh No! rather than yay?

I know it's worth it to be slim and I could have a flexi day but now I know how bad some foods are I just can't do it.

Sorry for being miserable but I love going out for dinner and a bit fed up of always trying to choose the 'best' thing on the menu and not what I actually want! Plus even when you try to be good they sneak butter and oil in everywhere.

Feel exactly the same! I hate eating things that are ridiculously high in syns that I know I could cook at home and would be free or very low syns. If we're eating out at lunchtime, for neccessity eater than enjoyment, I always try and find either a Wetherspoons or somewhere that will sell a jacket potato and beans. Eating out for pleasure is a pain as I try and choose the best option but that's normally not what I really want. Maybe when I'm a bit closer to Target I won't mind using flexible syns but for now I've been 100% since I started and I want to stick with it!

hi i have to agree with the 2 of u i hate going out to eat we wander round all the restaurants to see if there is any thing s/w friendly my o/h gets so fed up with me, i thought i had cracked it we have a local pub that does a carvery with loads of different veg BUT they smother it in butter gggrrrr why do they have to do that :mad: i find a harvester is the best place to go but they are not always available i am away on holiday next week and am dreading it x

This thread baffles me a little bit. I know that eating out is a little bit difficult but I'd never give it up. I'd rather lose 1/2lb or STS every week than not go out.

And it's so easy to eat out on SW, so many choices. Italians are perfect on Green days, Harvesters are perfect for Extra Easy and I don't do original days but i'm sure there's a resturant out there thats perfect for that.

Eating out is part of my life and i'm not stopping any part of my life while I slim. Sometimes you don't even have to compensate for your food, it's just a case of not having any syns during that day. Sometimes it's low syns the day of and the day after. Sometimes its 5 syns max for the rest of the week (Pizza Express). It's all about give and take which is something you'll be doing alot at target - why not get the practice in now?

xx

Stackhead is right its all about compensating for eating out and drinking. i tend to stay really low syn most days so i can have a night out or go and eat out with my friends or o/h. it is hard to think about at first but you'll get the hang of it.
i track my syns on a weekly basis as well as a daily. so on a monday i start with 70 syns and minus my syns from that when i have them. then if i want to go out i know i have that many syns left for the rest of the week and think how many i can have on my night out or for my meal
Lauren xX

I agree with the first couple of posters. It is infuriating. I am 100% - that means a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 15 syns per day, then start again the next day.

The nearest you can get is a baked potato, with side salad (no dressing) and beans! on a green or extra easy day.

Even adding cheese to the beans is out as it is always more than 28g (they would never use low fat cheese for 42g) as a result it is rubbish eating out and trying to stay on plan.

The amount of added fat, oil, butter, mayo et. is crazy. Hence the call a while back for SW-style or SW-approved restaurants. Everything in a restaurant can be improved upon at home making eating out a lottery.

I lost a total of 6st 13lb by avoiding eating out, or rather eating out every once-in-a-while and not even counting it. (A flexi-day to me is going over your syns for that day to a pre-defined amount - or better still not to kid myself and just have a day off plan)

Whilst I understand having 70 syns in a day might work for some and having the remaining 35 syns for the week over the next 6 days, I choose not to do that as it goes against the 5-15 syns per day rule (an old argument I know, but 100% is 100%;) - you may well lose weight - I know you will but it is still a day off plan in anyone's book)

I'll tell you what kids. It's even worse going out for a meal when you're at target as you don't remain at target for long:eek:

I can recommend pizza hut all you can eat buffets and ignoring the pasta & pizza elements;)

Maximus said:
I agree with the first couple of posters. It is infuriating. I am 100% - that means a minimum of 5 and a maximum of 15 syns per day, then start again the next day.

The nearest you can get is a baked potato, with side salad (no dressing) and beans! on a green or extra easy day.

Even adding cheese to the beans is out as it is always more than 28g (they would never use low fat cheese for 42g) as a result it is rubbish eating out and trying to stay on plan.

The amount of added fat, oil, butter, mayo et. is crazy. Hence the call a while back for SW-style or SW-approved restaurants. Everything in a restaurant can be improved upon at home making eating out a lottery.

I lost a total of 6st 13lb by avoiding eating out, or rather eating out every once-in-a-while and not even counting it. (A flexi-day to me is going over your syns for that day to a pre-defined amount - or better still not to kid myself and just have a day off plan)

Whilst I understand having 70 syns in a day might work for some and having the remaining 35 syns for the week over the next 6 days, I choose not to do that as it goes against the 5-15 syns per day rule (an old argument I know, but 100% is 100%;) - you may well lose weight - I know you will but it is still a day off plan in anyone's book)

I'll tell you what kids. It's even worse going out for a meal when you're at target as you don't remain at target for long:eek:

I can recommend pizza hut all you can eat buffets and ignoring the pasta & pizza elements;)

I agree with you, I stick within 5-15 syns a day, love my syns and would hate to save them up for a night out. Now that I'm 6 weeks in I'd probably do the same as you and just have a meal off plan when eating out. When I first started I didn't want to do that as I really wanted a loss each week. We very rarely eat out anyway and I don't really drink, I'll choose chocolate over alcohol any day! Would live to see a SW approved menu or even a single dish on a menu. Some places put calories in but that's pretty meaningless on SW.

i think that if eating out occasionally, just go for it, eat what you want. You have worked hard to get any weight loss and you deserve a treat.

I'm at target but so easy for one meal to put you over.

Its more that you don't know how bad it is. I despair when you order veggies and they come dripping in butter. I don't even like them like that, or when I ask for something without dressing/sauce and you can see they've drizzled oil over it. It's a control thing for me!

i think that if eating out occasionally, just go for it, eat what you want. You have worked hard to get any weight loss and you deserve a treat.

Yes, a write-off day I used to call it. On a 100% week you can get away with thenm mate.
I'm at target but so easy for one meal to put you over.

Its more that you don't know how bad it is. I despair when you order veggies and they come dripping in butter. I don't even like them like that, or when I ask for something without dressing/sauce and you can see they've drizzled oil over it. It's a control thing for me!

Exactly my thoughts and findings!

I'm now actually 4.5lb above target and although I know I will easily get that back, it just shows how dropping your guard - even slightly can bite you "big-style"

I much preferred taking it off than merely maintianing or containing:(

Perhaps psychologically I have large gains in order to lose it again! - scary!:eek:

i met some friends of my partner the other day and they suggested meeting up for a curry!

My heart sank as I am really struggling to get the weight off (on Slow Team) and if I deviate even slightly bang goes the weight on again.

It is depressing but I also think it is only wise to still continue to live your life. I don't go out much so a curry would be a rare treat for me. I would probably avoid the naan bread/poppadums (the nice bits), etc and try to pick wisely but in the end you can't cut yourself off from other people because of SW scales.

I can imagine it is very difficult for people who eat out a lot or are used to having takeaways regularly.

Maximus said:

Hi Maximus

I am seeing my sister this weekend. We live in different Countries so we don't see each other that often. I am going to cook at home all weekend (SW meals) but want to take her to a restaurant on Sunday night. I was going to save up syns all week and then choose carefully on Sunday but have just looked at the menu and it pretty much looks like it will be a high syn meal. I live in Switzerland and it's not easy to ask for things off the menu or tweaked (they don't do that here and my German isn't really good enough to go in to that much detail). I don't want to pig out - just want to have a nice meal and a glass or three of wine and not let it spoil my evening... Did you not cut down on syns in preparation for a meal off? This would be a real rarity - I have been avoiding eating out except once when I stuck rigidly to plan. Hmmm.. Just don't know what to do...

I have a lady in my group who eats out alot due to her job - she travels abroad alot & lives in hotels 50% of the time. She says she sees it as a challenge to go out & stay on plan. She also saya she's not afraid to ask for things to be cooked differently. I remember thinking at the time that i'd try & take her advice, as i tend to take customers for lunch at least once a week & didn't want that to affect my losses. I can now find something low or syn free on nearly every menu & have found that telling your waiter younare dairy intolerant helps avoid some arkward questions about weight loss.

Hi Maximus

I am seeing my sister this weekend. We live in different Countries so we don't see each other that often. I am going to cook at home all weekend (SW meals) but want to take her to a restaurant on Sunday night. I was going to save up syns all week and then choose carefully on Sunday but have just looked at the menu and it pretty much looks like it will be a high syn meal. I live in Switzerland and it's not easy to ask for things off the menu or tweaked (they don't do that here and my German isn't really good enough to go in to that much detail). I don't want to pig out - just want to have a nice meal and a glass or three of wine and not let it spoil my evening... Did you not cut down on syns in preparation for a meal off? This would be a real rarity - I have been avoiding eating out except once when I stuck rigidly to plan. Hmmm.. Just don't know what to do...

Hi Shrinki

Don't get me wrong - I was very, very hardcore - almost obsessive. I am not saying everyone has to be this way, but I hope it makes sense when I say it HAD to be that way for me.

I am not averse to having words with chefs about what I want and how I like it! - most of them are understanding and will try and help with most dietary requirements (within reason).

I didn't bother. Compromise, to me, is just another nasty "C" word;) - I wouldn't bother synning, flexi-synning or holding back syns or whatever you want to call it!

I think I had something like 4 meals off plan, in the year. I wrote those 4 days off - in the general scheme of things they were nothing. I managed to lose and lose big in each week.

Go off plan, don't "pretend" to be 100% or flexi - but enjoy the meal and get back to plan the rest of the week.

I now prefer NOT eating out as I am stunned at the amounts of additives which do not add any nutrition to meals. I can make better and healthier myself.

Exceptions are work do's and Christmas parties.

Enjoy yourself, but most of the dross (in my opinion) are not worth breaking my plan for.

Oh and as for the German bit - good luck! trying to find healthy food in Germany is needle in haystack territory. In my experience, Phrases like Haben Sie etwas ohne Fett? are met with a look like I'd just eaten their firstborn!

Ich hoffe Sie haben sehr gut geschmacht!

prost!

Steve

a man that understands i couldn't have written it better myself thank you maximus x i am just one of these people that if i eat out and can't have something totally s/w i think that i have "gone off" plan then i pig out on everything in sight, i wish i could relax more, go out enjoy what i want then get back on plan but my mind has other ideas ...........

Last edited:
Ha ha Steve! I loved your German - brilliant :). And true. I live in Switzerland but they are still in to salt and dressing or gravy on everything. I have, on occasion, asked for the dishes without sauce/fat/dressing and they look at me like I am mad... (or ate their first born - like that!). Thing is, i am such a on it or off it person (like you are by the sound of it), and have realised this is why I have failed countless times in my battle of the bulge because I refuse to compromise and then ultimately 'cheat' on the diet and then feel like a failure and so give in and maybe take the whole weekend off or whatever.. Whereas if I accept that there will probably be about six occasions a year that I really don't want to have to worry about it, I would probably just enjoy the meal (not binge or eat huge desserts etc.) then I would almost certainly just get back on the program immediately... Your post really stuck a cord with me. I am not seeking a reason to cheat or relax my diet - quite the opposite.
Danke! Bis später!

I have actually found my attitude to food has relaxed hugely since I started on the plan.

I would say I am 99% on plan, I can't say 100% as I will pinch the odd thing from the kids such as a single crisp, a couple of jelly tots etc but I would normally have enough syns to cover them realistically.

I have had a few meals off plan but I did save my syns for the meal. Exception to this was Disneyland Paris, I had bread rolls 3/4 times with butter, croissant for breakfast etc but we did so much walking & had hifi bars & ryvita minis for snacks.

I've not had a gain or a STS yet either!

All things considered, I have cut down on syns this week (but always eaten at least five) and will stay on track all weekend and not worry excessively on Sunday night although I will avoid anything fried and obviously high syn. Am hoping to have grilled tuna, mash and green beans which will just have a few syns for the mash. Will also have some wine. I won't count syns but will not eat excessively either. Thanks guys x

I work away from home every week so I have to face eating out a lot. I generally find it easier to do EE or red. If there really isn't anything on the hotel menu (and sometimes this does happen) then I will check to see if there's either a Toby carvery or a harvester in the area and if there isn't I will go to the supermarket and get myself a salad and a tin of tuna and a yoghurt and eat them in my room!

If you don't have a choice on where you're eating try and have something to eat before you go like a syn free soup or quiche, at least that way it will be easier to control the amount you eat when you're out

Ha ha Steve! I loved your German - brilliant :). And true. I live in Switzerland but they are still in to salt and dressing or gravy on everything. I have, on occasion, asked for the dishes without sauce/fat/dressing and they look at me like I am mad... (or ate their first born - like that!). Thing is, i am such a on it or off it person (like you are by the sound of it), and have realised this is why I have failed countless times in my battle of the bulge because I refuse to compromise and then ultimately 'cheat' on the diet and then feel like a failure and so give in and maybe take the whole weekend off or whatever.. Whereas if I accept that there will probably be about six occasions a year that I really don't want to have to worry about it, I would probably just enjoy the meal (not binge or eat huge desserts etc.) then I would almost certainly just get back on the program immediately... Your post really stuck a cord with me. I am not seeking a reason to cheat or relax my diet - quite the opposite.
Danke! Bis später!

Danke fuer die Blumen;) Es freut mich Dich zu hilfen:cool:

Please do enjoy your journey and your OWN plan. I won't say my way is the right way, but is is/was for me. I'd failed previously but then one day when people were dying all around me and I had a huge decision to make, I decided to do it properly and not half-heartedly.

Don't continuously deny yourself as that will only lead to resentment - and so begins the circle.

Best of luck with it all. If I can ever be of any help, (even just to mock my rudimentary German lol) just contact through the usual channels.

I happen to love Germany & Switzerland. Have visited everywhere from Geneva, Basle, Berne, Montreux, Zurich, Lausanne, Lucerne, Thun etc. The prettiest and most healthy country in Europe;) - although the food can be quite "loaded" - but hey, the air quality is second to none!

Back