Due to start meeting Thursday- do large numbers make the group less effective?

frankied

Silver Member
How many people attend other people's meetings on average?

I'm starting a meeting Thursday and the best distance and time is the busiest one out of 10 in my town.

Do very high numbers make the group hard to run or do does it just mean there lots of people to talk to- and it being a good thing?

Or do people think lower numbers work much better? As I'm worried very large numbers will been I don't get the chance to get much out of it as there would just too many people

Well, both have their advantages. If one is particularly busy, chances are it has a good consultant and so you should get a lot out of it if they have a lot to offer. But equally it might turn out to be busy but with lots of chatterers. A smaller one will be quieter but may be quieter because of the time of the group, or the location, or because the consultant doesn't have as good a reputation, or it's a newly opened group, or a multitude of other reasons. Best way to find out is via trial and error, to be honest.

hmmmmi'd be thinking if more people go then maybe it's popular as the group works? the group i go to has what seems to be about 70 members, although not allof those stay for the whole session, most just get weighed and go home. there is a lovely group feeling where i go that we are all in the same boat and u get to hear how all the others have done, what they have done, what hurdles they faced that week etc, as much as i hated the thought of the group at first, i really like going as there are more people to talk to and therefore more advice to recieve.x

My group is the biggest in the area - she even made the top 10 for the whole coutry not so long ago but it's split into 3 sessions - probably still 80 odd at the mo per session but far less stay.
You don't get long each to talk in image therapy but I like it when it's busy - lots of ideas and opinions and you still get to know the regulars!

Well, both have their advantages. If one is particularly busy, chances are it has a good consultant and so you should get a lot out of it if they have a lot to offer. But equally it might turn out to be busy but with lots of chatterers. A smaller one will be quieter but may be quieter because of the time of the group, or the location, or because the consultant doesn't have as good a reputation, or it's a newly opened group, or a multitude of other reasons. Best way to find out is via trial and error, to be honest.

i agree, but felt compelled to comment on your magnificent weightloss, may i ask how long it took you??? i have a similiar goal and started in dec, lots 14lbs, seems such a long journey, you have totally inspired me, hope you dont mind me commenting :eek: x

when i joined my class 7 weeks ago it was nice and small - around 16 stayed to class and i loved it. a really nice atmosphere with members having great banter with each othere.

since New Year there have been lots of new members and around 40 stayed to class this week. was a nightmare. i really hate people talking amongst each other when the consultant is talking - to the point where i almost stood up and asked the class to show her some respect by shutting up!

very selfish of me but i can't wait for most of the new members to fall off the wagon and stop attending!

i agree, but felt compelled to comment on your magnificent weightloss, may i ask how long it took you??? i have a similiar goal and started in dec, lots 14lbs, seems such a long journey, you have totally inspired me, hope you dont mind me commenting :eek: x

:eek: Thanks!
I started Jan 20th last year and got to target Oct 25th, so 9 months all in. Chipping a bit more off now because I have it to lose :) Good luck to you, you can totally do it. Once you have 50 posts, feel free to PM me if you want.

Back