Eat, fast, live longer

Sazbirl

Gold Member
Did anyone watch this programme tonight? It was really good, they were doing experiments on how if you eat normal calories on 5 days a week & fasted for 2 days ( you are allowed 1 meal with 400/500 cals for women and 500/600 for men on the fasting days, but it had to be healthy nutritional foods for that meal) it lowered the risk of developing age related diseases like cancer and heart failure. The bloke lost a stone in weight over 5 weeks and his blood sugar levels came back down to normal from being borderline diabetic. It was really interesting, I just wondered If anyone had watched it, or done the diet? X

Was it the bbc2 horizons one? My friend said it was on but I was working til 10, plan to catch it on the iplayer

Lexie2005 said:
Was it the bbc2 horizons one? My friend said it was on but I was working til 10, plan to catch it on the iplayer

Yeah, it was really good if you can catch it on the holster it's worth watching, it even got my hubby thinking about doing it ( he doesn't nerd to lose an ounce) for the long term health benefits, but it would be a total lifestyle change for us :) x

My friend watched this and was raving about it this morning. Shes started it today, fasted and having a 500cal meal tonight. I just dont see how not eating and then ramming your face with whatever you like the next can work?? Surely the body wants to store fat. Im not convinced...and a SW lover, lol!x

l0v3child said:
My friend watched this and was raving about it this morning. Shes started it today, fasted and having a 500cal meal tonight. I just dont see how not eating and then ramming your face with whatever you like the next can work?? Surely the body wants to store fat. Im not convinced...and a SW lover, lol!x

I don't understand how it works but it did for the bloke testing it on the programme, I'm not sure I could just have 1 meal a day on fasting days though, it said that they found people didn't binge on a massive pile of food on up days they just ate a couple of hundred more cals on those days :) x

I watched the programme & it was very interesting, it's not something I could do, I wouldn't want to go without food for 3 days. The programme promoted fasting for health reasons & longevity, & the weight loss as a bonus. They interview the guy who at 101 'ran' the maraton.

I love SW & it works for me, I also think our bodies are like cars, you can't run on empty:D

I've just watched this programme and the weight loss was a side benefit. It was actually done to see the link between age and age related diseases such as prostate cancer, dementia, etc, and the link they'd found to the growth hormone because of rising obesity. And the people with lower amounts of this hormone were less likely to get these diseases and live longer. They were obviously not overweight internally as well as externally which also helped.
It is worth trying though purely for health reasons. If you prefer more food on fast days I don't see why you couldn't eat smaller bits throughout the day rather than one larger one. It was about the amount of calories in the day rather than when.
Definatley worth watching .

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I used to do this regularly. Stopped for a month but starting again. If you're interested it's worth checking out the juddd boards, although they do it on a every second day basis but I found that it was too frequent for me. I do the 5:2 ratio he followed in the programme. I have to say, I love this way of life. Additional health benefits or not, I have tried for years to follow a conventional diet plan only to throw in the towel. I find it soooo much easier to "diet" 2 days a week then relax on the other days.

I don't have a problem with hunger on my 500 cals days, but I also eat lowish carb most of the time so that curtails hunger.

All I can say is don't knock it til you've tried it :) it may not suit everyone but I love it

I have to say it wasn't something that would have ever crossed my mind before I watched this programme. But the theories begins it were very interesting . I'm not sure I could do it. But wish I could

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

There are lots of ways to go about it but if you decide to give it a go, pick a busy day so you're not obsessing about food, and keep in mind that anything you want to eat you can , you just have to wait until tomorrow.

Some people have 3 meals of about 150 cal each, eg a slim fast shake for breakfast, and for lunch and then something light eg tuna salad for tea.

I prefer to just put off eating that day for as long as I can, then have a reasonable sized meal before bedtime.

Also, don't forget, this 3 meals a day / constant eating is relatively new to our species, for millions of years we ate when we found food and fasted in between.

Good luck if you do decide to give it a go :)

When people do it properly and take into account their activity levels I think intermittent fasting is a fabulous thing to do.

I know that personally that if I added fasting back into my routine i'd slip back into an eating disorder, so definitely not for me, but good on everyone who can do it healthily :).

To much like my eating disorder for me to even go there. Id take it to far, couldnt trust myself. Fasting and restricting is part of my past now, im so much healthier and happier on SW

Back