Eat too fast

Discussion in 'General Weight Loss Discussion' started by Ellegirl, 31 August 2008 Social URL.

1. Ellegirl

Ellegirl Member

I eat too fast.
    I have, all time i seemed to finish eating before everybody else in my family.

I've attempted to chew each bite at least 20-30 times before swallowing but that just gets irritating.

If you used to eat too fast...how did you slow yourself down in order to really enjoy what you're eating?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. MzMonday

MzMonday Full Member

Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I eat fast as well, I find that if I have a big glass of water before I sit down I tend to take longer eating. I don't know, could just be me.

4. caws

caws Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(7.66%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating-ish
    I eat fast as well, but I enjoy my food and chew it properly - I don't shovel it down and think that my table manners are ok so don't see it as a problem.

5. girlygirl

girlygirl Silver Member

I once read a tip to put your fork down between mouthfuls. And pause before you pick it up again!

6. Mixxi

Mixxi Full Member

Start Weight:
    13st11.5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st2lb
    Lost(%):
    1st9.5lb(12.14%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    It may seem tedious at first but chewing at least 20 times when I was eating has made me do it pretty much automatically now so I eat much slower than I once did :)

7. Georgiestar

Georgiestar Silver Member

I eat fast too! :(

8. MzMonday

MzMonday Full Member

Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Last night I tested a couple of "eating slower" tips. I chewed everything at least 20 times and I put my fork down after every second bite. I finished up as second to last in a group of 7 people, so it worked out nicely and I enjoyed my meal.

9. caws

caws Gold Member

Start Weight:
    15st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st3lb(7.66%)
    Diet:
    Healthy eating-ish
    It would irritate me to keep putting my fork down (don't ask why because I've no idea !) I think I'd be better off counting in my head, or something equally as silly, between mouthfuls !

10. girlygirl

girlygirl Silver Member

I actually tried to chew each mouthful 100 times, as (again) I once read somewhere. I don't advise others to try this - it is pretty much impossible as well as over the top! But 20 times seems very reasonable so I will give it a try. Might help to prevent me hungrily scarfing down my grub.

11. MzMonday

MzMonday Full Member

Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    It's tough when you are eating mashed anything with a sauce...not much to chew ;)

12. icemoose

icemoose The Diet Guy

Diet:
    Don't diet anymore!
    I just eat at whatever rate I do ??? Never thought about it! And definately don't compare my speed to others as whether I eat it in 10 seconds or 2 hours the calories are still the same.

Mike

13. MzMonday

MzMonday Full Member

Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    Yes, but if you are at a professional dinner it becomes a matter of courtesy (at least for me). Not only that, but if I am finished first then I start eyeballing my husband's food and I get to where I want something more, a second helping...a pint of Ben & Jerry's... :D

14. icemoose

icemoose The Diet Guy

Diet:
    Don't diet anymore!
    Sorry yes I would agree with that! But then again not sure how fast I do eat!! I'll have to now watch and see how I compare lol

15. MzMonday

MzMonday Full Member

Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    I finished after my husband today and he sat and stared at my dinner until I gave him a bite. Then he felt sheepish and had to apologize for all the times he picked on me for eyeballing his food. Oh it felt good!

16. Floella

Floella Banned

This is a very interesting topic Ellegirl. My sister used to eat faster than anybody I know. As someone else said in a social situation it's not good!

I don't think most people realise how fast they eat & my sister didn't but she literally shovelled it in and sat there twiddling her thumbs. I would see people staring at her and she was totally oblivious. No-one in the family ever said anything because we didn't want to offend her but several relations commented on it.:rolleyes: (when she wasn't around). We were out one time having a meal with some people we'd only recently met and the male friend just looked at her and said "my god, were you THAT hungry?" :confused::confused: I wished the floor would open up. She was scarlet, her hubby was silent and the other wife just said "ignore him" and tried to gloss over it.

But I tell you what, it made her stop and think! She now eats much more slowly by putting down her knife & fork now and again (which she never did before), drinking water slowly and talking rather than just scoffing.

Apparently there's a chemical which is released as your food enters your stomach. It tells the digestion to slow down and also tells the brain that you're full and then your appetite decreases. Takes about 20 minutes so if you eat more slowly your brain and appetite has time to get the message!;)

17. SparklingFairy

SparklingFairy Full Member

I used to eat super fast & I'd still be hungry by the time I finished. I try to go slower now, but 30 chews is way too much & gives me jaw ache lol.

18. Avatar

MiniMins.com Advert

19. MzMonday

MzMonday Full Member

Diet:
    Calorie Counting
    20 chews is where it's at for me, along with that and putting the fork down I've been eating slower than my husband all week! :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.