eating my meal sets me off wanting more help

rosie mae

Hi, i have managed to loose 4 stone on the TFR, i had a little break about a month ago, whilst i was on holiday and put on 3lbs, and they got off another stone, going back on it, but i can honestly say, i felt really ill, my hair was falling out, bad mood swings, low in energy, generally low.... i stuck this out for 4 weeks and then my friend who lost 3.5lbs 4 years ago, suggested i stick to two shakes a day and a high protien meal with veg / salad to get the last bit off...so that is what i am doing...

So, all sounds good, well here is my problem, when i start eating, its sets off a trigger in me and i almost switch on a self destruct button and dont want to stop eating... yesterday [day one of doing this] i had salmon, brocolli, spinach, alf alfa sprouts and kale, bliss lovely, i really enjoyed it, and felt normal, then the family got the trifle, lemon tart and cheese board out... i turned down the pudding, but had an inch of pie and stuck my finger in the cream, then i ate cheese, and put some on a cracker, and some on half a ginger biscut, its was like watching a massacre... so today, i had my two flapjacks, drank coffee with milk [is that ok] and ate more fish for tea with a range of lovely leafly greens, which sets me off.... and i ate a peice of cheese, then made a coffee to help me feel full and then cut a maintainance bar in 3 and ate the section....

why do i do this to myself, does anyone else do this and can you offer me any help and support... i dont want to ruin this for myself... help...

Whew. Rosie Mae I COMPLETELY IDENTIFY. I lost about two stone on LT before. But I can't say this enough. We're addicted to sugar. It plays on the opioid receptors in our brain so when you have a tiny it makes you crazy for more, because your body knows it can give you a "hit".

As scary as it is, have you considered giving up sugar, because the yo yo just isn't worth it. Look up sugar addiction. I know I'm a sugar addict. Its why the first days of this diet are SO hard. We're all detoxing off sugar. Just know you're not alone. I think the sweets are what triggered you. It really brings that craving for sugar back. HUGS.

Hi Diva,
thanks for your reply, i know what you mean... i was doing really well on the TFR and my friend made me a shake and put two sweetners in it, i had been bobbing along without, then it sent me crazy... i havent been able to stop using them since, and i hate sweetners... they are so bad for you.. but i am drinking more coffee and tea with a sweetner in... i am addicted to sugar... it sents me la la... yes i need to give them up, do you think that will stop me watning to eat after my meal? - i am really greatful for any knowledge as i dont want to go back to putting weight on... thanks... x

I do think if you can make it a few weeks w/o sugar it will help as you re-feed. Believe it or not its just like an alcoholic. One drink after not drinking for a year, makes you want to drink more and more. Same with drug addicts etc. Basically, because they all play on the pleasure receptors in the brain. Your brain send outs cravings in your body b/c it knows it can get dopamine through sugar. So, I think if you cut out the sweetners that will REALLY help because many studies have shown that your body can't always tell the difference between fake sugar and real sugar. Probably why we're not supposed to have many on LT. More Hugs. And I wanted a mocha today so bad I had to grit my teeth at the coffee shop and just get a coffee. I do not want to have to withdraw from sugar again. Gar.

Stevia is a better choice than many sweetners after you've re-fed and there are naturally sweet things like honey and strawberries. :D Not as yummy as a trifle, but for us the trifle will pack on the pounds, just like a drug will leave an addict wasted. Just a thought. :D Thanks for listening to my gleaming of info from the food industry.

you can do it I was the biggest addict to sugar could quite happily polish off biscuits and cakes like they were going out of fashion hence the rediculous weight!! I was on TFR for roughly 8 weeks and came off done refeed and then stuck to using the maintanance products they really do help with the sweet cravings and that has been me off now for about 5 weeks and I actually now cannot even stand the sight of chocolates and cakes and biscuits really wierd x

maybe you should give the maintanence shakes ago I have 1 in morning as a mid morning "snack" and it helps me feel full x

I get like this too hun, you aren't alone. The feeling of helplessness is indescribable. Give yourself a break tho. The more you berate yourself for doing it, the more you WILL do it. Forgiveness takes the strain away somewhat x

Sugar cravings are a demon. Don't forget that sugar comes in many forms. White carbs convert straight to sugar so it is important to watch your intake of these too. All processed foods contain hidden sugars. Ingredrients ending in "ose" eg dextrose are all hidden sugars. A lot of the diet or low fat products contain hidden sugars to improve the taste.
I did TFR for 26 weeks and then switched to low GL ( google Nigel Denby or Patrick Holford). Basically low GL is about keeping your sugar levels balanced throughout the day. Combining protein and good carbs at each meal is important as is having two small snacks every day. Agave syrup or stevia are acceptable sugar substitutes but try and limit your intake.
Well done on doing so well.

Sugar cravings are a demon. Don't forget that sugar comes in many forms. White carbs convert straight to sugar so it is important to watch your intake of these too. All processed foods contain hidden sugars. Ingredrients ending in "ose" eg dextrose are all hidden sugars. A lot of the diet or low fat products contain hidden sugars to improve the taste.
I did TFR for 26 weeks and then switched to low GL ( google Nigel Denby or Patrick Holford). Basically low GL is about keeping your sugar levels balanced throughout the day. Combining protein and good carbs at each meal is important as is having two small snacks every day. Agave syrup or stevia are acceptable sugar substitutes but try and limit your intake.
Well done on doing so well.

Hi Molly, Ive read many of your posts over the last couple of years, the way you have maintained your loss is amazing, I have pinched your advice from this post and ordered a book about low GL eating, to help me maintain long term. Thankyou :)

Thanks for the kind words. Keeping the weight off can be challenging but it is doable. Low GL makes it that much easier!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Helllooo. I am on lipotrim TFR at the moment but really struggling. I have just got another weeks worth of shakes yesterday but am now considering having the evening meal. If I was to have 2 shakes a day and a very low carb evening meal would I still lose weight? Obviously I wouldn't expect to lose as much as TFR but surely having 2 shakes and only one meal is better than eating for every meal? Also does anyone know if it matters having the TFR shakes? Or does it have to be the maintenance sachets?
Any feedback much appreciated!

Thanks

Back