Extra Easy EATING WHEN NOT HUNGRY

BubblyLady4

Hi all, just wanted to write some thoughts down.

So people that aren't battling with their weight cant believe that i am still hungry when i eat, yet i am not hungry. I just love food :( I am back on the wagon today and i have grazed non stop today but all on track and under syns, snacked on fruit, lean meat and yoghurts etc between meals but i was thinking i am eating but i am not hungry - i just cannot get the mental strength to stop.

It's so weird and overwhelmingly compelling....it's like i can stop, think and say 'no, you're not hungry; you dont need more food' but i just want it. The battle to stop that is so hard. Whilst OK, snacking on good things isn't going to stop me losing weight, i feel it's not helping me 'win' as such.

dont know if that makes any sense at all, just wrote as i thought!!!

Hope everyone's having a good SW day :)

xXx

Hi bubbly...i know exactly what you mean i find myself doing that a lot...i would love to be like my dh. He can leave food unless he's hungry and he can leave stuff on his plate once he's full...an absolute nightmare for me!!!

Hey StrawberryShortcake :) Yep mine too! He's got the perfect relationship with food, he lost a couple of stone before he met me, he's now at his ideal weight and encourages me 100% but he has it down, as you say he can leave food if he's not hungry, have a treat and stop and be back on good things straight away without a care, he's great to have to inspire - just doesn't seem to rub off on me!!

Try a glass of water then if your still hungry after a while have some fruit, or try to busy yourself there nothing worse than being hungry an board it makes you pick more

Im the same! I stand infront of the fridge and think "hmmm what can i have?" I take a slice of ham and roll it, eat and im good, so i graze too, not heavy things, just a carrot, or a quickly bung a tablespoon of chickpeas in a microwave steamer pot and eat them. Im not particular hungry, i just generally graze, even sitting here with a small cup of frozen peas i just poured to cover the bottom, Im just snacking on them. I enjoy it, but im wondering if its damaging hmm :hmm:

How about telling yourself that you can't afford it? (Doesn't matter if it is true or not.)

For me, a yogurt is a pudding after dinner. Just one. They are expensive.

Meat is for meals. Not snacks. (I only have meat twice a week anyway.)

Try thinking of it this way - if you don't eat expensive things as snacks, you will be saving a lot of money you could use for more exciting things!

Keeping your hands busy also helps.

I found my real downfall was if I ever watched TV.
Going to the Gym and also having crafty things to do in front of the TV helps to occupy my hands and stops me from picking at food.
I also need to watch my intake as I'm close to target and over-eating can slow progress.

My hubby is the same he sees food as fuel and nearly eats enough to keep him going! Whereas I like food and don't need to be hungry to eat/want something. One big difference between us tho, I eat my meals a lot quicker, so I can have eaten my meal 10 mins before I realise I'm actually full, he eats slowly and often leaves bits. I am making it my mission to try and eat slower!

I'm lucky in that respect, if I'm not hungry I don't feel the need to graze. One of the best things about SW for me is that I can eat meals that fill me up so I'm not hungry (unlike weight watchers), and then as long as I'm not hungry in between meals I'm fine. It's being hungry that gets me to fall off the wagon lol

That said I rarely eat things like chocolate because of hunger, things like that are more a treat, but not being hungry when I eat them makes it easier for me to stay in control of it, if that makes sense.

Hi all, some great suggestions here, thanks! :) We will see on WI day on Monday if the grazing has stilted the weight loss; but i will try from now to cut it down a bit. Today i have had breakfast and i just succumbed to the bag of pops crisps (4 syns) i was going to have at lunch, but i will have my salad at lunch and try with one piece of fruit mid afternoon till dinner, which i have at like 5-30pm anyway! So not late or anything....was just grazing constantly yesterday and felt a bit :( but i was on track so hopefully should be OK xXx

Generally, I don't pick or graze and that's because I would rather eat large meals that see me through to the next meal.
Having said that, if I'm going through a period of not being 100%, I can eat even if I'm not hungry, especially if I know something is in the cupboard, I just cannot rest until I've eaten it! I think that actually stems from a lifetime of watching my weight and not allowing myself to have certain foods. Its like I binge on it to get it out of the way and when its gone, its gone and I can rest.....until the next time!! I sometimes think it would be so much better to just have what I want in moderation and then I could keep 'nice' foods in the cupboard but I know in reality, that isn't ever going to happen!
My husband, on the other hand, who doesn't have a weight problem eats huge meals but will leave food on his plate if he is full. He definitely sees food as fuel. He can have treat food in the cupboard for ages and just go to it now and again (if I don't get to it first! lol) In fact a couple of weeks ago, when I wasn't on plan(!), I ate his chocolate snowman that his Mum had given him at CHRISTMAS! I mean, Christmas, that's nearly 4 months ago...who has chocolate for 4 months??!! lol I'd eaten mine, I might add when I was given it!! Haha

Generally, I don't pick or graze and that's because I would rather eat large meals that see me through to the next meal.
Having said that, if I'm going through a period of not being 100%, I can eat even if I'm not hungry, especially if I know something is in the cupboard, I just cannot rest until I've eaten it! I think that actually stems from a lifetime of watching my weight and not allowing myself to have certain foods. Its like I binge on it to get it out of the way and when its gone, its gone and I can rest.....until the next time!! I sometimes think it would be so much better to just have what I want in moderation and then I could keep 'nice' foods in the cupboard but I know in reality, that isn't ever going to happen!
My husband, on the other hand, who doesn't have a weight problem eats huge meals but will leave food on his plate if he is full. He definitely sees food as fuel. He can have treat food in the cupboard for ages and just go to it now and again (if I don't get to it first! lol) In fact a couple of weeks ago, when I wasn't on plan(!), I ate his chocolate snowman that his Mum had given him at CHRISTMAS! I mean, Christmas, that's nearly 4 months ago...who has chocolate for 4 months??!! lol I'd eaten mine, I might add when I was given it!! Haha

I'm like your OH in that respect, I tend to ration my chocolate and have it hang around the house :p

my tip for non hungry grazing is celery and tomatoes. not filling but very low calorie. No need to eat filling high calorie foods when you are not hungry.

My feelings are it has nothing to do with hunger. I am a foodaholic, I like eating. I sit watching tv and doing cross stitch and food is nearly always on my mind. There is something in my brain that forever wants me to think about food.
If there is say a pot of Quark in the fridge I suddenly remember it and get up and eat it. ....... I have just done this very thing.
Some people just cannot understand how I can be like that. My doctor says it is genetic and some people do have "fat genes".
I did see a programme on it last year but deleted it. Wish I hadn`t.

Anyway whatever the reason I just have to try and talk myself out of it. If I am staying with somebody else so not on my own I do find it a little easier because somebody is "watching " me.

If you ain`t got this you will never understand it unfortunately. Good luck to all those that do.

Hiya I can totally understand where you're coming from. There are days where I just want to eat. I'm not hungry but I feel like I need to eat.

For me I think it's down to volume of food. I have days where I hardly eat (because I'm not hungry) then the next day I seem to be playing catch up wanting to eat loads.

I once watched a programme that talked about how we eat the same volume of food regardless whether we're on a diet. The suggestion was... What makes us gain/lose weight is not always the reduction/increase in volume of food but the type of foods we are eating.

We all know that you get more for your calories if it's healthy foods than unhealthy foods. So to have the same volume of food regardless of it being healthy or not it then impacts your calories intake (i try not to think about them little critters)

I think although you're grazing least it's healthy. So yes the volume of food is up but I bet your overall calories intake is low.

For me though I'mtrying to eat consciously and only eat when I truly hungry and feel the tummy rumble, so if I do have a grazing day it's okay cos I'm taking the lead from my tummy not my head

Last edited:
Back