Eatting late, babies and slow cookers?

Ginge

Ok so my daughters 4 months next week and she takes up a lot of time so I've been making really easy and quick meals mainly stir frys, I am getting slightly bored with them lol

I have a slow cooker and use that on occasion for meat and stews but there's only so many recipes i know,but its convenient to put it all on in the morning and its ready by 5.30pm when DH gets home with me having to do a thing and i can concentrate on keeping my daughter entertained :p

also we sometimes don't eat until 7pm is that to late do you think? if i ate earlier would it help me lose more its just that at 6.15pm we normally go for a walk with the pram and the dogs so Amelia gets an extra nap before bed she refuses to sleep during the day :cry:

so does anyone know of any slow cooker recipes or quicker main meals?

Gem x

Dont fret Gem, it will get better!
Have you had the chance to have a look at the recipe thread above? There are some really quick ideas there that are delicious! Things like a diet coke chicken stir fry.
I know how hard it is to cook with a little one, but you just have to structure your day and it is possible.
7pm isnt too late to eat either. Thats the good thing with SW, you could eat 24 hours a day (free food) and still loose weight!

On the SW site there's a recipe for braised lamb shanks (or something like that) and it's yummmm! I'll also do joints in the slow cooker like gammon or even chicken. Or I'll chuck in a load of veg, some chicken, cut up raw gammon steaks, tin of tomatoes and various spices and do a cajun style gumbo.

As for eating late, I don't eat til 7.30 or 8 most nights and then I fill up on fruit salad and have my syns after dinner so I eat continuously til about 10 and it hasn't affected my loss. That said, maybe if I did a week of not eating after 8 then my loss would be better but I've never tried it.

thanks ladies i am a worrier, and im no cook either thats DH so will try and calm a bit i try and plan my meals for the week but doesnt always go to plan luckly weekend DH cooks so can have a break after today lol

Recent studies have been published that indicate that it really doesn't matter too much if you eat late. Your body burns calories all the time. I believe there are two schools of thought on this, but really, as long as over the day you're eating sensibly, it won't do you any harm.

The Spanish don't eat until very late due to their climate, etc. It's just our conventions here that make us think that tea time is 6pm or whatever. I shouldn't worry unduly about it. :)

hiya Ginge

im a bit rubbish with recipes, but just wanted to offer some support with the non-sleeping in the daytime baby! my daughter was exactly the same but after perservering and alot of tears:cry: (mostly mine) i managed to get her into a sleep routine and she now sleeps at 10am & 2pm for anything up to 2 hours each time. i now dont know what i would do without this time to myself, even if its only to do a bit of housework. so keep trying with the naps you will get there!:)

Amy x

Hi,
I use my slow cooker loads and generally just chuck in whatever I have! I don't follow any recipes as such although any casserole type recipe will work, just don't put as much liquid in as they call for.
It often looks a bit dry at first but it's amazing how much liquid is created during cooking.
Curries are good but I do fry the onions and spices first before adding them to the slow cooker.
Tesco have had some great value huge turkey drumsticks recently and i just stick one of these in with some veg and a bit of water and gravy granules and leave it. It's gorgeous!!
I also don't eat until 7ish most nights either and it doesn't affect me.

Thanks AmyEve its nice to know someone else had the same problem she will sleep in her swinging chair but it eats batteries like no tomorrow! and I was power walking with the pram and she slept then but had to stop for now due to hip problem caused by Miss Meele Moo lol so cant wait to start that again

and thank you everyone else DH can make anything out of nothing :rolleyes: so will try lamb and the turkey drum sticks with a load of veg i adore stir fried cabbage so wil give them all ago

Gem x

I've just invested in a new slow cooker. There are lots of websites if you google. and most recipes can be adapted. If you go on amazon, there are alot of SC recipe books. I have one that is for curries and spicy recipes. The food is fantastic, definitely restaurant standard, and altho the Thai recipes have coconut milk, I have lost 10lbs in the last 8 weeks!

I've just invested in a new slow cooker. There are lots of websites if you google. and most recipes can be adapted. If you go on amazon, there are alot of SC recipe books. I have one that is for curries and spicy recipes. The food is fantastic, definitely restaurant standard, and altho the Thai recipes have coconut milk, I have lost 10lbs in the last 8 weeks!

Oooh thanks will get on amazon now and order a few

Gem x

It might also be worth checking out this blog I've been told about. It's from a woman who made a resolution to use her slow cooker, or crock pot as they call it in the US, every day for the entire year. I'm sure you'll find recipes that can be made SW friendly.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Back