Emotional eating

Hi Eve, another great distraction strategy .... what a relief that others are going through the same battles, and winning :) x

I try chewing some minty gum or cleaning my teeth. Or even swirling a bit of mouthwash. Eating junk isn't as nice with the mint taste in your mouth. Plus, my teeth are sparkly ;)

Hey MrsMC! Have no shame! I do the same!

The only time it helps is when I paint my nails. I also try and count to 30.. Neither work as sometimes the allure of doughnuts is too much!

I'm gonna try not have as much junk food in the house as it might help the binging!

No nothing like that works for me! i have to keep busy to try stop me eating! i wish i could have no junk in my house but i think my husband would divorce me! lol
I wish i liked fruit to nibble on that but i dont really! :(

Beverly,

I can totally relate to your story as I was the same, I have to say I love slimming world (never thought I would hear myself say that). What changed with me was that I became selfish about what was important and what was not and some people got offended along the way but the way I see it is, I put on the weight so it is up to me to take it off.

From what your saying Beverly, you have it in your head that your going to succeed and that is the key, if we dont have it in our head then it is pointless going on and I think that is why I have succeeded so far, I'm totally black and white, last night I was visiting a friend with my hubby and there was lots of lovely treats in front of me and I didnt touch any of them, I thought that no this doesnt help with my weight loss so I dont eat it and I have gone like that since about June this year and Im terrified that will change and I will revert back to my old habits again but then I again I do realise that the more I get used to doing it the right way, the more it will come naturally to me

Orla, it was so good to hear from you ... It's a comfort to know other people understand, and you're totally right: knowing yourself and your triggers, and having a small stock of emergency protein will be my way forward. At least while I fight one battle at a time. I have to get the weight off, but to keep it off I have to do the work of recognising what I'm insulating and 'protecting' myself from .... And stop.
For years I told myself I just loooved savoury food and that was my problem ..... No surprise I've been bouncing around on this diet for six years! Well now I know I'm not shallow nor stupid nor lacking 'will power'. I've got an addiction to food and have learnt a terrible behavior I can challenge and fix. So this time is the last time on this diet and I'm getting to goal! :)
Love this quote I've seen on here:
"If hunger isn't the problem, food's not the answer"

Be well xx

Hi Orla, you have no idea: your message was such an inspiration today. I've been going through major emotional upheavals since that family dinner for my Dad on Sunday, and last night was another disaster! But you know what? There will always be something, and the drama will continue without me (and it'll have to if I keep destroying my health with emotional bingeing). 100% today. The only way to win on this diet is to not give up :) Well done you on staying so focused .... It's just the inspiration I needed today xxx

Gosh I'm touched and yet I can totally relate to this. I know this is a public forum but I feel you need to hear how I came to join slimming world as I think we are very similar. All my life I put everyone else before me to my own detriment and it affected me as a person and sadly more importantly it affected my weight. I always gave in to people and always said yes instead of saying no, lately people who know me are saying that I'm different and do you know what, I am. I'm saying no more often and even though I don't like it I know I have to say it and sadly I have lost a few people who I would have called friends because of it. My husband is so supportive and is loving the new me, he keeps telling me that he has a new woman and he does because I'm definitely more confident (some might say I'm cocky but I'm not).

You need to step back and look at the situation and see is there anything you can do and if you can't then you have to move away and put yourself first, I know this is not easy but it is so worth it in the end, in order to lose weight, it has to come from your head first and then your heart and when I did this then I knew I was going to succeed. There is not much I could have done last Tuesday as it was the end of totm and now that I have accepted it, I have moved on and hopefully I will start again with more losses and you can do the same and I have a feeling you will :bighug:

Hi Orla, thank you for sharing that and it's ironic really - I came to that very same realisation on Monday : situations won't improve with me obsessing about them. Other people may need to be ignored for a while because I HAVE to come first for me at some point and feeling guilty is a waste of time :)

So with all that said, I'm proud to say I managed 100% yesterday and I'm going strong today .... Onwards!

How's your day going so far? In thinking of starting a diary thread to keep me focused (had one eons ago on here) - do you have one? Does it help?

Your so lucky to have such wonderful acceptance and support from your OH. My 15 year old son has been amazing: voluntarily cut out the junk he usually requests from the weekly shop and is so supportive of what I want to do. He's beautiful.

Hope you're all having a great day .... And remember the more you drink, the more you shrink! Lol
Bev x

Good on you Beverly, that is the spirit. OH is so supportive he won't have any temptation in the house as he knows I would go for any sweet things particularly evenings/at night. I'm doing good this week and I'm totally focused on been 100% on plan for this week too.

I keep a diary every day (well maybe not on weigh in day) but I write down everything including how much milk I use or what I eat at what time of day. I might actually look back on weeks when I had low or high losses (or even gains) and see why and maybe eat more/less of some foods.

I have really bad anxiety and I usually eat when i am having a bad day with it!! So understand completely! I have started running which has helped lots! Xx

Definitely in the same boat! & you need to find something that you enjoy to replace it I know it sounds impossible but it works. Like run and have a nice long bath because you'll be away from temptation!

Back