Exercise and Protein Shakes

Trijian

I've had some ok success on Slimming World this time around, and have started going to the gym almost every day. I've been given a program by a PT in the gym, and she has suggested protein shakes after exercising, to help recover.

I've looked around at them, but there's just SO MANY! My main goal is ultimately weight loss, while building fitness along the way, but as SW isn't doing as much for me as it did before, I'm kinda phasing in healthy eating rather than strict SW. I just don't know what protein shakes I should be looking for to complement my gym usage. A lot of the 'shakes for women' seem to focus on weight loss as a meal replacement thing, rather than an after-exercise thing.

I just don't know where to start when it comes to protein shakes. Is it even worth looking at dedicated meal replacement ones, or just use another type as both post-exercise and meal replacement?

So confused by it all!

Trijian, I'd go for Optimum Nutrition as they are a reputable brand - there are many protein shakes that do not have what is in the label, so don't buy a non-tested brand.

As for Optimum, you have the 100% Gold Whey and the Lean Why (less calories). If you go for the Gold, people recommend Chocolate or Cookie flavours :) I tried Vanilla and it's fine, but the other ones seem better.

If you want to have a healthy lifestyle, don't use them as meal replacement, but as a snack to recover after your workout. I also read that when you want to lose weight it is a good idea to have them after the workout, because it will let your body focus on the right things to lose while exercising.

I ended up going with USN Ultralean Diet Fuel to start off with, but thinking of switching this to Matrix Diet Whey. Doing shake for breakfast, then another for lunch after gym, then normal meal in evening, aiming for around 1200 cals a day. Just got a Fitbit Surge, so putting all the pieces together this way.

I bought PhD Diet Whey for myself and it reminded me of your post. I used other proteins before but stopped because (1) the taste was horrible, (2) it was not worth the calories and (3) I didn't trust the brand. But I'm really pleased with the PhD Diet Whey, it tastes awesome (got the chocolate orange flavour) and has 91 calories per scoop. What do you think about this one that you bought in terms of taste?

I have spent a fortune on protein powders over the years. I have funny taste buds, so have struggled to find one that i get on with. I found that many have a synthetic taste and that the diet ones tended to be way too sweet. But I was introduced to
WHEY PROTEIN 80 SF+ on The protein works website. I bought unflavored. and it is great. No artifical taste and it mixes well with things like fruit for smoothies. would definitely recommend

I'm an endurance cyclist and I've studied sports nutrition so I've spent some time making sure I've got the right fuel. I use Science In Sport for a lot of my protein. I use whey protein in the morning whizzed up with a banana and coconut oil to start the day. I also use their Rego protein recovery shake after a ride/workout or protein bars. I also use ZipVit for fuel and protein. Both brands are reputable and have done the relevant research for their products. They also have good flavours. I prefer ZipVit for the energy bars and gels as I prefer the taste. It's down to personal choice really, there's no point if it doesn't taste nice and it has to have the right stuff in it

Back