Exercise & Atkins

I never did much gym work, not even in the Army, but I did run every day, played squash most lunchtimes, swam in the summer and played Rugby and trained twice a week in season. That plus all the mandatory Army workouts. That's why I don't do much except walking and cycling now, I reckon my joints have exceeded their mileage limits. :D

I really need to get my butt back into running, i dont really 'enjoy' it but it really slips the pounds off you and tones you up. However i dont know if my knees could take it running at this weight. And its been 5-6 years and about 4.5 stones since i ran!

I do like the feel good vibes that zip through your body after a hard workout. Just hate the pain and effort to get to that point!

Can you cycle Viks? that's a good low impact work out.

Yes swimming is good as well Laura

I have been going to the gym 3 times a week for the past 3 years, i found it difficult to lose weight but that was my diet as i ate more when training and my weight stayed the same.
Now having been on Atkins for the past 6 weeks i have found my training much harder to do. I do 1 hour cardio and 30 mins weights, but my fitness level has dropped and i am finding it hard to do the same workout i did when eating carbs. I tire much quicker and struggle to do my 30 mins on the cross trainer that i used to find so easy.
But i will keep going as i feel better when training, more energy (after workout) and happier as it lifts your mood. Yes you may stall losing weight as you build muscle but you will look leaner.
The order of weights/cardio at my gym is cardio, weights, then back to cardio...i can't remember the explanation why, but it made sense at the time..lol :bliss:

I could cycle..... mut get new bike tyre and wheel -been broken for about years!

I did go swimming yesterday for an hour with my partner and wee boy so got about half hour of lengths in and half hour messing about. felt very drained today though had to have a nap for 40 minutes this afternoon.

I have a mini tramp which i do occaionally and of course about 4 fitness dvds i should really get one out...... infact i will this evening.

Thanks for inspiring me peeps!!

Can anyone please recommend exercise for someone with the spine of a 90 year old?
I can't do any impact, for obvious reasons, swimming is difficult because my spine is unnaturally curved at the bottom and the swimming position causes extra pressure on my lower back and simple exercises like yoga and pilates mean I can get on the floor but can't get up again!

Oh dear, I sound like Quasimodo!

Help, please?

You could try a cross trainer or a recumbant bike. Neither are too strenuous and shouldn't be too uncomfortable on your back.

Hmm, but would Jar be able to get up from a recumbent bike?

Is a recumbent bike one of those where you're more lying down/sitting back than sitting up? cos if so, I'm not allowed on those either - osteopath's orders. Guess I'll have to drop the weight, be signed fit for work and get walking again. Thanks for your help though. X

Ok, how about a quick warm up using the cross trainer and then some weights. Done in a position you feel comfortable with?

Thanks Jim, They are def the ones I'm not allowed to use, The position puts too much pressure on my lower back. Basically my discs are deteriorating so I have to be careful not to strain it. Never mind, I'll find something. X

Not Good then Jar. :(

Early onset osteoarthritis. I'm 31. Still, everything happens for a reason. Sorry to drag the thread down. As you were! X

ah, I see love. Well you are brave, and acknowledgeing it.

Thanks Jim, can't say I always feel brave, but there you go. Everyone has their battles I guess. Just working towards getting as well as I can and the weight loss is a big part of it. I'm already putting a lot of strain on my spine, so every little helps. X

Thanks Laura, At the moment the muscles in my back are really inflamed so I'm not even allowed to do housework. I could probably find a pilates class when I'm better will see what the osteo says on my next visit. X

Back