Exercise help please, restricted movement

Mrsbod

Hi

Due to a leg injury that is getting progressively worse, I can't really do anything that involves much lower body movement. I am starting physio next week, but there is little prospect of it helping and am likely to need surgery soon.

I used to walk 4 miles a day, and also used to run 2-3 times a week, normally doing about 15 - 20 miles, and did a couple of marathons.

Since my leg has got so bad, I've not done anything. My hubby has weights that I could use, but I'm not convinced that just doing arm exercises will do anything for my overall fitness. I have dug out my old wii and wii fit, so trying to do a little of that, but I've been surprised at how much lower body movement there is even in things mostly for arms.

I hate feeling so unfit, does anyone have any suggestions? I can't go swimming as we have no spare cash due to me needing to take the bus everywhere.

Any help would be brilliant

Hi Hun,

Not sure what type of leg injury, is it movement that hurts or bending etc. If you can still bend (like a squat) you could borrow some light weights and do some squat boxing - works lower, upper and good Cardio, but other than getting into the squat, you shouldn't have to move your lower body much.
Also if you can get to the floor, ab crunches or various varieties are good core and shouldn't involve much moving or legs.
X

I basically can't do anything that involves hip muscles, not sure about squats, they are more front of thighs aren't they.

Definitely can manage normal crunches, will give them a go, hate my jelly belly :)

There are quite a few ab work-outs you can do that don't involve hips or legs at all, even just varying the direction of crunches.
If you lie in a crunch position and hold light hand weights in each hand directly over your chest and bring them down to the floor so your arms almost lie flat that works your chest and abs. The squat boxing can be done without the squat part, but that'll just work your arms and chest, not a lot of anything else.

But don't be too hard on yourself if you can't do much, you're definitely not lazy and if your body needs to rest let it Hun.
X

In the organisation for retired people to which I belong, we have a very successful seated exercise class. We have some members well into their 80s who say that they find the exercises very beneficial.

If you Google seated exercise you will find loads of information and some videos. Obviously you may have to modify some of them so that they fit in with your specific requirements, but they are a good place to start.

Back