Exercise on the cheap

GrannieAnnie

Silver Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any idea for exercising without speding a lot

I can`t cycle or run as I have a dodgy knee. I try to walk whenever I can but am trying to think ahead. Before we know it winter and dark evenings etc will be round the corner. I go on some lovely walks at the moment but the route they take I wouldn`t dream of taking in the dark.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Swimming is great exercise and cheap. Or buy an exercise dvd to do at home during the winter. Or become a clean-a-holic lol, cleaning burns tons of calories :) xx

You can always do things at home like press-ups, squats, lunges, tricep dips, skipping, hula hooping etc. All fo these are very good exercise and can be done for free (small outlay- hula hoop/skipping rope)

I was going to say get and exercise DVD- there are some great ones on amazon for pretty cheap.
If you have a dodgy knee, it's not practical to do anything that puts TOO much weight on it- low impact activity like swimming (as said before) and also aqua aerobics are good- it alleviates pressure and is great for cardio and fatloss- and not too pricey either :)

do you have sky? if you have the lifestyle package channels 281 and 282 have exercise classes you can do they have chairobics for people who are mobility impaired and lots of dance classes which don't seem very high impact such as Bhangra which I watched and didn't join in on but looked amazing.

Thanks for the replies folks.
Think they`re gonna be a great help.
Might try the aqua classes, if I can my cossie!! lol

Dvd & hoola hoop sounds fun. Will give OH a laugh!!

Haven`t got sky. In rented flat & landlord says no to sky dish. Not in Virgin Media area :cry:

Hey Grannie Annie (great username btw)

Swimming and walking are cheap/free and fun. Have you ever considered joining a local rambler group? - I did and never looked back.

Our group has all ages and abilities (we have a few octogenarians) and walks are split into 3 categories, i.e. short, medium and long walkers.

I had a quick check on google - there is a Cambridge Ramblers group. A bit of company as well as weekend outing possibly?

Steve

Back