exercise v no exercise

I love excercise!!! And I strongly believe it helped me to burn fat and tone up throughout my weightloss. I lost a good amount every single week that I was at ww, and I am sure that was thanks to all the spin classes, circuit training, etc.

Now the weathers warmed up I have frozen my gym membership, and am running outdoors and cycling to work. I absolutely love it, and feel so much better for it - energy levels and mood in particular.

I would def say that the way forward is to tell yourself you will just head out for 10 mins, chances are you will enjoy it and happily continue for longer.

When I was with SW last year I had been losing well and thought I'd buy a Wii. I got EA Sports Active and did the 30 day challenge. My weightloss slowed right down to 2lb for the month. BUT I lost 2" off both my waist and hips! Over the next couple of months my shape changed entirely, I even lost inches from my knees!
Exercise will only boost your weightloss by 1-2lb a month , at first you retain water in the big muscle groups so that's why your losses slow down.This evens out after 2-3 weeks.
I hit the buffers with depression in October, and yes the Dr (at Occupational health) said I had to do 30 mins exercise a day. My counsellor ammended this to trying to do abit each day, but stamina levels in the bad stages are low because your brain has a high level of cortisol. (the flight hormone) Even doing the most mundane tasks can wear you out. As you improve and the levels reduce you can gradually increase what you do, but forcing yourself to do high levels of exercise can be counterproductive and slow your recovery.
Now I have recovered I can cope with life and have started exercising again.

I joined a gym about a fortnight ago. I try to go 4 times a week and on other days I might play squash or just walk the dog. I definitely feel it has accelerated my weight loss. The most important thing about joining a gym, in my opinion, is making sure that it has an atmosphere and type of member you are comfortable with.

Thanks everyone. At the moment its a struggle to get out the front door, but my daughter is going to take me for a walk in a minute so if I feel panicky she'll be with me.

Couldn't face going to Zumba so I've ordered the dvd's instead.

Managed to go to Costa today but while my husband was getting the coffee a man had a go at me for sitting in his seat (reserved by putting his sweatshirt on the coffee table) after that I was so shaky I had to go home again.:cry:

I have just coming through a bad episode of clinical depression and now I am better meds I have started to do exercise. I love doing exercise espeically when I am sweaty I feel like I have worked my whole body and mental state feels so good after :) I also find davina so really good for toning up and after a short time you notice the difference which can be a real motivator :)
Oh and as exercise tones your body and changes it you feel more confident to wear clothes instead of losing weight and having flabby skin with no confidence :)

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. At the moment its a struggle to get out the front door, but my daughter is going to take me for a walk in a minute so if I feel panicky she'll be with me.

Couldn't face going to Zumba so I've ordered the dvd's instead.

Managed to go to Costa today but while my husband was getting the coffee a man had a go at me for sitting in his seat (reserved by putting his sweatshirt on the coffee table) after that I was so shaky I had to go home again.:cry:

I am so sorry that you had that experience.
As Judimac says, sometimes, when you are in the midst of a bad episode, just focus on getting well without 'forcing' yourself to exercise.
I suffer from panic attacks which is closely related to totm. Sometimes, I just want to hibernate! I do love exercise, I cycle, go to aquafit, walk and just started running. This week, I'm trying Zumba and Body Pump. I do as much as I can and as a result, I am almost at target and have some good muscle definition.

Exercise if you can - it does make you feel really good about yourself and can lift a mood, but, if you are having a 'bad' day, then I (personally) would just give yourself permission to not. You will know when you are able.

Over the last few months, my depression has disappeared, like I say, I do still get panic episodes, but I know now that they do end.

Take care. x

Back