Exercise

vikstar

Silver Member
Has rejoined the gym today and feel better about myself. I did a short session but have to take it fairly easy as only recently finished chemo and had serious reaction to it ending up with a while in high dependency unit.

Anyway, just wondering what you guys do and how you combat the after exercise need to eat loads!!!

:)

I try to drink plenty of water an hour before gym but none, or very little, during as it gives me a stitch. Banana is a good idea. Thanks :) Sure the hunger is all in my head. Have resisted so far and it's nearly lunchtime :D

It's not in your head - I was reading an article in Runners World a couple of weeks ago that exercise suppresses the hormone which tells the body it's full, so you eat more because you still feel hungry.

It's not in your head - I was reading an article in Runners World a couple of weeks ago that exercise suppresses the hormone which tells the body it's full, so you eat more because you still feel hungry.

oh that's really interesting - I have to admit I normally have no appetite immediately after exercise - unless it swimming then for some reason I an starving! I think it might be drinking the water though as I drink loads when a the gym but (obviously) non when swimming!

I'm usually hungry after I exercise!! I think it's a combination of not wanting to eat too much before as I don't wanna feel sick half way through (usually shreddies for breakfast). But I do usually come home and have scrambled eggs on toast or something else I'll pick!!
But rem it's better to eat after exercise when your metabolism is in over drive than 2hours later when it's slowed back down ( read that in a fitness mag) xx

Well i resisted :D Had pasta with BNS sauce and roasted veg for lunch - yummy! :D

Thanks for the info - interesting to know it isn't my mind playing tricks on me :D

oh that's really interesting - I have to admit I normally have no appetite immediately after exercise - unless it swimming then for some reason I an starving! I think it might be drinking the water though as I drink loads when a the gym but (obviously) non when swimming!

I'm exactly the same. After gym not hungry, after swim hungry.

But the body needs protein after a decent exercise session, and the USA biggest loser have mentioned that the body is most receptive to this protein within half hour of exercising.

simple solution is to eat..
your body is telling you it needs fuel..

fruit or protein rich foods are good ( eggs, chicken, meat etc.. )

I read somewhere though that it was best not to eat for about an hour after exercising, because then your body will digest fat during that time if you don't give it food. Can't remember where I read it though so it quite possibly came out of a cracker.

my BF does alot of cycling...on a sunday he will normally go about 60-70 miles in a about 3 hours, and i struggle to stop him eating everything in the house when he gets home! lol! mind you he is still skinny as a rake! the sod

I didn't eat because I felt my body was tricking me lol. I also don't want to eat all the time because I can't sustain that at work etc. I was restrained and didn't feel bad for stopping myself from eating. I've planned my day's menu and I'll stick to it :)

Interesting about length of time after exercise to eat...think there's so much conflicting advice out there. I could probably find evidence to say I needed to eat half a banana dipped in peanut butter and coated in chocolate :p

Interesting about length of time after exercise to eat...think there's so much conflicting advice out there. I could probably find evidence to say I needed to eat half a banana dipped in peanut butter and coated in chocolate :p

Without the chocolate, I don't doubt it. I know many runners who find that the ideal post run snack. The life and diet of a long distance runner is enviable *sigh*

Ha ha! Maybe that's what I need to become so I can eat more!!! ;) Erm...no! :p

I have been doing alot of exercising recently and If I exercise in the morning like tomorrow I have a HE bar (fiber plus or alpen light) and some fruit about an hour and a half before. I drink loads during exercise and after I get home (about an hour after class finishes by the time I have showered I have salad with cheese (HE) and quorn/ chicken depending if I am green or red. I have the salad ready for when I get home so I wont be so hungry I want to snack.

If I am doing an evening class I eat at about 3.30 pm and then just have some fruit when I get home from class before bed oh and sometimes a cadburys chocolate light mouse as a treat :)

Wish I could be as organised ;)

Back