Experience of coming off the pill...

Devon Dolce

1lb at a time!
Hello all,

Am considering coming off the pill and doing some research into the effects I may experience - hearing horror stories of spots, weight gains, moods etc. If anyone can offer their words of wisdom that would be appreciated!

DD xxx

Sorry I can't help, but I didn't want to 'read & run'. I've only come off the pill twice & that was to get pregnant & it worked immediately both times ;)

I have only come off the pill once and that was to have my second child, I got pregnant in the month I stopped taking the pill so no bad experiences for me.
When I got pregnant with my son I was on the pill and missed just one day before I had my 7 day break.
I have been taking the pill since I was 14 and I am now 27, I do often wonder if I should have a break. I changed to the mini pill about 4 years ago I think so havent had a period in that time, I do worry I'm doing something to my body but I just know if I stop taking it I'll be pregnant within weeks.... and I certainly do not want to hear the pitter patter of tini feet again... 2 is enough for me :D

I've never been on the pill but was on the implant for three years. I had it taken out in November last year to TTC and immediately had pregnancy symptoms (which apparently is quite normal as your hormones sort themselves out!) although I wasn't pregnant. A year later and I'm still not pregnant so I'm not one of the lucky ones unfortunately.

It took about a month or so to get a period afterwards and then they were a bit sporadic for a couple of months. I also lost half a stone very quickly shortly after the implant was taken out which could have been unrelated to be fair but I have always assumed it was as nothing had changed in my diet!

Hope it goes well for you x

I've just come off the mini pill a couple of weeks ago. I have been on it a couple of years and realised its making me very moody and I've completely lost my libido!! I feel so much better for coming off it. Looking in to getting the coil or something that doesn't mess with your hormones instead!

I've just come off the mini pill a couple of weeks ago. I have been on it a couple of years and realised its making me very moody and I've completely lost my libido!! I feel so much better for coming off it. Looking in to getting the coil or something that doesn't mess with your hormones instead!

That's what happened to me with the implant - I was incredibly depressed for pretty much the whole time I was taking it but had no idea how bad it actually was (or how related to the implant it was) until I had the implant taken out.

I'm pretty worried about what I'll do when I need contraception again as the copper coil was pretty hideous as well :/

That's what happened to me with the implant - I was incredibly depressed for pretty much the whole time I was taking it but had no idea how bad it actually was (or how related to the implant it was) until I had the implant taken out.

I'm pretty worried about what I'll do when I need contraception again as the copper coil was pretty hideous as well :/

Yes same here! It wasn't until I researched about the particular pill I was on, I found a thread like this with loads of people saying exactly what had happened to me so I stopped taking it. I'm
Not too keen on the thought of the coil but going to look in to jt as i have no idea what to do now!

Yes same here! It wasn't until I researched about the particular pill I was on, I found a thread like this with loads of people saying exactly what had happened to me so I stopped taking it. I'm
Not too keen on the thought of the coil but going to look in to jt as i have no idea what to do now!

I was a bit of a horror story with the copper coil tbh as it turned out that mine either wasn't fitted properly or slipped at some point and the pain was horrific! So I'm sure most people have better experiences than me lol ;)

I was a bit of a horror story with the copper coil tbh as it turned out that mine either wasn't fitted properly or slipped at some point and the pain was horrific! So I'm sure most people have better experiences than me lol ;)

Good lord that sounds awful!!!!

Good lord that sounds awful!!!!

It was but I'm pretty sure that most people get on better than I did ;) Really didn't suit me but I know someone who has had the copper coil got years and gets on fine after the initial adjustment.

Shame there's not one thing that suits everyone, all this trial and error is hard work lol xxx

Hello all,

Am considering coming off the pill and doing some research into the effects I may experience - hearing horror stories of spots, weight gains, moods etc. If anyone can offer their words of wisdom that would be appreciated!

DD xxx

One thing I experienced when I came off the pill that I wasn't prepared for at all was morning sickness! For about a week or two before I had my first natural period I felt so sickly all the time, even my OH was a bit concerned! I knew I wasn't preggers tho cos we hadn't... well you know! It all went as soon as my period came back.

I'd never heard of it but apparently according to my doctor its common. After coming off the pill you have hormones all over the place, similar to what you would in the early stages of pregnancy and it is these hormones that cause the sickness.

Other than that I didn't really have too bad symptoms, like mood swings, spots etc. My periods were all over the place and even stopped for a while. But I finally fell pregnant after nine months after I came off it.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! From my personal point of view I've been on the Pill for 15 years and just feel I need to give my body a break from the chemicals! Will finish this pack then that will be it, so fingers crossed don't experience too many withdrawal symptoms xxx

Sorry for the bump, but just interested in experiences of coming off the pill - thanks to everyone that replied xxx

I missed the minipill for 4 days over Christmas, and i am now on my 3 week of a period. Went to the docs on Friday who thought perhaps it was to do with the menopause. I had to do a pregnancy test which was negative thank god and I now considering the merina coil.

Back