Extra Easy: Help wit syn guesstimate please!!!!

Becky7777

I'm meeting some friends for breakfast tomorrow and having looked at the menu I have decided the omelette will be the best choices it contains, three eggs, ham, peppers, and mushrooms, so all syn free ingredients, but assuming this is cooked with oil, how much would you allow?, 1 tbsp at six syns or more?

Dont want to be kidding myself over syns so any help appreciated

Hi Becky... I use to work in a resturant and they use to make their omlettes with cream and a hell of a lot more than 1 tbsp of oil! I wouldnt even like to guess the syn value of anything cooked in oil at a resturant!

I'd maybe go for poached egg on wholemeal toast with beans, toms etc? Anything you know that isn't going to be cooked in oil x

Omg!!! Thanks for the heads up, just going to check the menu again and see what else is on offer that is suitable, so glad I checked now!!!

Ok looking at the menu, think I'm going to ask if I can build a breakfast out of the sides as all the combos they offer just don't sit we'll with sw. Anyway if I could just pick on the past restaurant expience, how do they usually cook the bacon? If grilled I could get away with that, and I also presume that sauté mushrooms means fried in oil and butter. Arghh this is actually proving quite difficult but I will not give in and have my usual maple pancakes and bacon, that's what landed me here in the first place!

No worries, its deffo an eye opener seeing how foods are cooked in restaurants just for quickness and convenience! Our breakfasts were cooked on a big plancher, which if is a very healthy way of cooking things, if you use fry light of course, unfortuantley they don't and squirt loads of oil on the plancher first, and more and more between each breakfast, it gets a quick wipe down during quiet periods but when they are knocking out breakfast after breakfast you can imagine the build up of oil! You can by all means ask for the bacon grilled though, we use to get people ask a lot but to be honest it depends how lazy the chef was being as to if he would do it.

And yes you are right about the saute mushrooms, but you can just ask for fresh ones.... although in my old place they would have been done on the plancher still. Obviously every resturant have different methods, but just letting you know how things were done where I worked.

If im going out for breakfast I always find poached eggs and beans the best bet...there is no way you can go wrong with them and then maybe syn a round of brown toast? x

Yup think your right, they have an extras section on menu, so may just ask to make my own breakfast up from those, a couple of poached eggs, beans and they also had plum tomatoes, they should be syn free and a fairly safe bet I reckon.

thank you for your help

Back