Facebook questions.

KD

Gone fishing
I've never wanted a Facebook account. Yeah, know I'm weird, but I really haven't got the time to use one.

But...every now and again, I find myself signing up as I want to see someone elses:eek:
but I always regret it, because I get so many requests from people and I just don't know who they are!

I belong to a number of forums, and know people by their usernames.

First time I signed up, I had so many requests (nice really....but), and I only recognised one name! So I made it inactive, and have now signed up again (cos I was being nosey...not to use the account). I used a very random email address, and still had a request from someone who can't possibly know my surname, or that address.

Okay
1) So how do you deal with this? How do you know who is who? You ask them their real name, and then turn them down if you don't want them on your facebook?

2) How do people find out who I am so quickly when they don't know my name (well, my surname) and I use a random brand new email address that I've never used before.

3) How on earth are people finding me, without knowing my surname, and if I'm using a different email address?

4) What if people ask to be your friend, and though you don't dislike them, you would rather they weren't seeing any messages you might have on there (or is that just me:D)

5) Anyone teachers? How do you keep half your class off it. If I were to go with have an active facebook account, I really don't want it to be filled with the kids from school. Love 'em though I do.

I hate rejecting people, and also asking people who on earth they are! How do you deal with this?

I have no answers KD as I don't have facebook, but have considered it - and dismissed it for all the reasons you listed above. I just want to have a "nose" around, but don't want any contact as such, if you see what I mean. I will watch this thread with interest, to see if any more experienced facebookers can shed some light on your queries x x

you have got me on that one i have a face book account and have only ever had a couple of requests from people i thought i didnt know. As it happened i just asked them where they knew me from befor accepting them and it turned out to be old school friends using their married name that i didnt know. any other requests that i dont whant to accept i dont.

Well, I'm glad it's not just me Cheryl :D

And no idea why I put this in the WLS forum :D D'oh.

Have moved it to chit chat now. I'm losing it big time :D

you have got me on that one i have a face book account and have only ever had a couple of requests from people i thought i didnt know. As it happened i just asked them where they knew me from befor accepting them and it turned out to be old school friends using their married name that i didnt know. any other requests that i dont whant to accept i dont.

Thankyou for that. I have more questions :)

1) If I make my facebook inactive, can I still see other 'friends'?

2) If I accept friends, am I obliged to make them a friend to my account? Can I just be on theirs, or is this considered poor Facebook etiquette?

1) If I make my facebook inactive, can I still see other 'friends'?

2) If I accept friends, am I obliged to make them a friend to my account? Can I just be on theirs, or is this considered poor Facebook etiquette?
1) No. Once you've closed your account you won't be able to see anyone elses info.
2) Once you've accepted a friend request, they will be able to see you profile as can they yours. You can adjust who can see what in the privacy settings though.

x x x

Reactions: KD
If I were you, I would set my account to private (you can do this in settings) and only accept the requests that you want. The ignore button is my best friend :D
Only accept the friends you are happy to see your profile or adjust the settings so they can only see limited information.

With the kids from school, you should just make it clear that FB is your personal life and it would cross a professional boundary to add any of the students

Poor KD inundated with unknown cyber peeps!

It must be your magnetic personality drawing these people to you. I only get requests from people I know. Can quite understand not wanting to be plagued with requests from your students, imagine all those pokemon requests you'd get:eek:

Hope you're keeping well KD.

Tracey
x

you can go into account settings privacy and change all of your settings there so people cant see you if you dont wish them to unless you accept there freind request and as for anyone that you dont particulary want to know your buisness you can block them by typing in there name in the account privacy options so they wont be able to search for you or see anything about you

kd you sound like me!! i only joined after half of minimins was on it. im hardly ever on it havent a clue how to use it! think mine is on private!!

Thankyou everyone :cool:
Poor KD inundated with unknown cyber peeps!

I know...it's such a problem:confused: Can't believe how many people I know...yet don't know there names! So embarrassing asking people who've I spoken to every day for the last 10 years "who on earth are you?" :D

It must be your magnetic personality drawing these people to you. I only get requests from people I know.
Nah...probably because I belong to a million forums :D

Can quite understand not wanting to be plagued with requests from your students, imagine all those pokemon requests you'd get:eek:
Well. Have enough of their emails, bless them. Cool kids though.

Hope you're keeping well KD.

Tracey
x
Crap at the moment:cry:. How's you?
I love facebook. But I only ever accept people who I want on there.

And that's assuming you know who they are :D

kd you sound like me!! i only joined after half of minimins was on it. im hardly ever on it havent a clue how to use it! think mine is on private!!

So that's why you ignore me!!!! :eek::eek::cry:

KP and I are really concerned as his 11year old daughter is on there - and having seen some of the videos and clips etc, we don't think an 11year old should be seeing them. She also has her laptop in her room, so is unsupervised and has no-one looking over her shoulder to monitor.

KP contacted "orange haired troll" who said she knew, because she too has an account on there and didn't see a problem! I've reported SD and told facebook how old she is - and KP has also contacted them .. but she appears to be still there.

i got a facebook because all my friends kept on talking about it and telling me to come...

i only add people i want to know. like people in my college or uni. i dont add any family members, because things on facebook may lead to disputes in the house (girls etc)...

but my facebook and my friends facebooks are very similar, we have similar friends and join in the same discussions. if we go out, someones comes in and puts the pictures up and all of mates just start taking the mik out of everyone...quite funny...

Back