Extra Easy Family Slimming world - Ideas for resources

KayMo

I am just about to embark on my first slimming world journey. Along for the ride will be my Dad, who has also never done SW before and my sister and Mum who have both done slimming world before and lost a combined total of about 10st before putting most of it all back on again.

I decided to encourage my family to restart their weight loss with me after putting on about 1.5st in the past year (stress eating due to final yeah PhD). Hoand I want wever, I know I'm in for a long battle because although my family are all eager to lose weight my sister has three children to look after (one 11 and just starting school, one 1.5yo and one whos a wee 2 weeks old) and a particularly naughty husband who tempts her to cheat and my Mum goes through bouts of apathy.

My idea is to make it as simple as possible so that we can all get into good habits straight away creating a reasonable loss in the first few week in order to keep momentum.

So I have a few ideas for resources to help us all but was wondering if anyone had any idea to improve upon these;

1) A weekly syn sheet for the fridge with stickers (yes stickers). The sheet will have seven circles on it, one for each day and each person will get 105 stickers for the week (I'm thinking the small sticky dot ones). When they use the syns they put as many stickers in the circles as they have used. It's a visual reminder but also, hopefully, reduces the likelihood of cheating as we will all see who's had what each day.
2) Brief daily food diaries ( sheet a week) whereby each day has a row for writing in Brekkie, Lunch, Dinner and snacks and HEA and HEBs can be crossed off for quick reference. I will probably make an excel sheet for my day as he's the busiest of us all and the one that needs to lose the most, having it computerised will hopefully just fall into his day-to-day routine. (just found an excellent one by Squiddie here - http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world/305078-excel-slimming-world-record-version-3-5-a.html )
3) A fridge syn bin. With all my family I anticipate most of the daily syns will come from sauces (BBQ, mayo, ketchup, salad cream, chutney and so on) therefore its really important we have a quick reference for the syns in each so we can make an informed decision as to whether we really neeeed another squirt of 'dip dip'.
4) In relation to the above every week I will be making SW ketchup and BBQ to remove some of the anticipated 'sauce guilt'
5) I think a syn free/super speedy quick ref list might also be helpful. I think I have seen one somewhere so I probably wont need to write it all out.
6) A snack guide (also for the fridge - I foresee a space problem here ;) )

I would much appreciate some help from some of the SW veterans, I'm scared for my families health and I'm hoping that if I pour my heart and soul into this they will too.

Thank you Anna for your reply, luckily being an adult myself (and still able to appreciate the effectiveness of having sticker dots to represent syns), I was already aware of the things you pointed out in your post. The help I needed was for improving upon the ideas I had and maybe getting some more.

My plan is to help kickstart my family with motivation to get them through the first few weeks, past apathy and caring for a difficult teenager and two very young children. Once it all comes automatic there will be no need for such things. Luckily I was in contact with my family before I saw your post and got downhearted. They think its all wonderful and are full of enthusiasm - perfect, exactly what I wanted.

I would much appreciate some help from some of the SW veterans, I'm scared for my families health and I'm hoping that if I pour my heart and soul into this they will too.

I thought long and hard before posting, edited it several times, and almost didn't post at all. Obviously now I wish I hadn't, because I never intended any harm. I have now deleted it - perhaps you could forget it.

Hi Kaymo,
Good luck with yours and your families journey.

I have found that batch cooking and freezing in portions really helps especially when a busy day or something else could throw us off course. Grabbing a meal out of the freezer that is SW friendly and popping it in the microwave has saved the day for me on many occasions. - just a thought - hope it helps :)

Hello! Sounds like a fun way to do things together :) personally I love stickers lol! And if you make it easy on everyone by doing what you are doing you really have done all you can do and the rest is up to each person. Wish I had some help at times!!

I agree batch cooking and planning are key. Maybe set some family treats maybe a day out together as a goal if you all reach a certain point or all put cash in a jar to save for a family holiday?

What about taking it in turns to cook a fake away or bake off style buffet dinner and make it fun to make sw meals and snacks. If you guys work well together it may work.

Good luck x

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MiniMins.com mobile app

Back