Fat and Sugar question

maketak

Hi,

I am wondering about the Sugar and Fat % which constitute "free food".

I know that even Muller light have some sugar and fat.

So what % per serving is considered Free food.

Since not living in the UK. I need some help.

Thanks.:cry:

It's not quite as easy as that. I haven't heard of a % rule before, although that's not to say there isn't one.

Basically, a product needs to be fat FREE (not low fat) to be a free food but, as I said in a previous thread, just because a yoghurt is fat free it is not necessarily a free food (yeo valley vanilla fat free has syns). Some fat free foods have added sugar (not sweetener).

Fat free natural unsweetened yoghurt is free. Fat free cottage cheese is free but low fat is not. Some flavoured varieties are synned.

It's not straight forward!

Unfortunately it isn't as clear cut as this.

Have you thought about buying the starter pack and maybe a food directory on ebay (yes, I know its a rip off, but it would answer your questions and get you started on the right foot) ...

I'm not sure there's a way to figure it out just from fat and sugar. Free foods are also ones which will keep you fuller for longer so while some free foods are fairly high in cals etc they are still free.

I could be wrong but I don't think there's an easy rule for figuring things out. Having said that I think any fat free natural unsweetened things such as yogurt, cottage cheese, fromage frais are free foods. If you need to work out syn values then anything with no free food in such as crisps/choc works out around 20cals per syn.

Someone cleverer than me might know the secret formula though I've never heard of one.

Back