Fat Forever

jobeyfox

I have found this site whilst looking for slimming world recipes and having read a few posts think I might get some help or inspiration, after having a gastric band fitted two years ago I lost 4 stone and got down to 18 stone and felt really positive, then it all went downhill I missed the social aspect of eating even at home with my husband by then I could only eat a couple of mouthfulls of food before I was ill but then 20 minutes later I would be starving again and then I would eat all my dinner which by this time had gone cold and everyone else had finished their meal, going out for a meal was a nightmare even thinking about it could cause me to block up and I took to just drinking a couple of bottles of wine so swapping one addiction for another, eventually I returned to the hospital and had the band defilled as I still hadnt lost any more weight, and I so missed fruit and chicken and stir fried veg, none of which I couldnt eat, with the band I could eat crap like a Mcdonalds breakfast or chocolate all the rubbish that I cant stand. So now I have put 2 stone back on and I am really desperate, I am going to follow the slimming world plan and hope I can stick to it but after years of trying everything and gastric surgery I am just so scared of being fat and unhealthy forever. I am beginning to think its not a diet I need but a good councellor, I now realise that my mind is the biggest obstacle that I have in ever being successful.

Hi hun! Welcome!

It sounds like you would greatly benefit from CBT counselling. CBT addresses your behaviour and habits and teaches you new methods and ways of thinking and helps you to recognise unhelpful though patterns. For an idea of what to expect, visit the Mood Gym at
http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/welcome for free access to a free work book. Ask your doctor to refer you for counselling.

Weight loss wise, surgery isn't the only option. For example, many NHS surgeries now offer free slimming world and weight watchers classes to people with a BMI of over 38. They will pay for up to 8 weeks and if you lose a certain amount of weight, may pay for more. Ask your doctor if they provide this service. Have a look around here and see what plans others are following and how it's working out for them.

Hope this helps X

Last edited:
I think the post above is fantastic, and I haven't a lot to add except that the CBT is a brilliant idea. I thought losing weight would be the answer to all my problems, but it wasn't. I am now working through the CBT workbook for dummies - I got it off amazon - and its really helping.

Good luck

Nicola xx

Back