Feel like quitting :(

Mrs-D

hi everyone im fairly new to slimming world and im trying to lose 2 stone i have anxiety and depression which causes me to comfort eat alot im trying to stop but its so hard anyone got any advice on how to beat the snacking and picking? thanks

Mrs-D said:
hi everyone im fairly new to slimming world and im trying to lose 2 stone i have anxiety and depression which causes me to comfort eat alot im trying to stop but its so hard anyone got any advice on how to beat the snacking and picking? thanks

Hi hun sorry to hear that :-( for me boiled eggs, omelettes etc are great snacks, as is garlic quark with chopped crunchy veg, SW ferrero rochers, fruit, velvet crunch crisps, SW chips..... There is loads for snacks but u gotta be prepared tbh. Good luck x

I have a tendency to do this as well, I just try to say to myself that eating won't change how I feel, if anything I'll just feel worse and I make myself a cup of tea instead.

hey hun
my advice is that quitting probably isnt going to help with the depression and anxiety, if you put on weight and then dislike how you look you may feel even worse,i completely understand the anxiety and depression.i really do,what id say is your on the easiest diet for a comfort eater.like keiragh said hardboiled eggs are a great snack,fruit,mullerlights,vegetables.salad.i find that options hot chocolate and diet coke make me feel really naughty,and the hot chocolates are only around 1.5syns each. to be honest though you can eat as much rice,pasta,veg and salad as you like.so why dont you do like a big pan of syn free pasta?and just eat that whenever you want.or a big pot of low syn stew? rice with vegetables and fried egg cooked in one calorie.its all about planning but there isnt a limit on how much you can eat of the free foods.hope this helps and your welcome to private message me for a chat xx

I also have a lot of mh health problems but have done really well with slimming world you can do it hun :). We all have those days where it feels like too much and we slip up but try your best to draw a line under it and try again. Try really hard not beat yourself about it and it will only make things harder. My tips would be to try your hardest to distract yourself when you feel like comfort eating, catch it early on as soon as you feel the need coming on. go for a walk, do something that will keep your hands busy, anything that works at keeping your mind focused on something else. Try to replace the need to comfort eat with something else; with with other things you find comforting and relaxing e.g. a walk a bubble bath, a cuddle. The more you can separate food from being a comfort by doing other comforting things the better. Try to believe in yourself and your ability to follow the plan as when you feel like can't it makes unhealthy foods more tempting.
Lots of luck :)

The best people who succeed on this plan are those that plan their meals so they don't end up having to think about what to eat when theyre peckish.

You do need a lot of will power... Leg me tell u- I feel so hungry at the moment bug have had supper and am determined my to let my hunger get to me so am going to watch some telly and have an early night. I read my book for a little while as well just to keep me distracted.

Don't give up. The healthy eating will improve your mood heaps. Get rid of all the junk food in the house and spend some time researching what you can eat when u do feel hungry..

A big bowl of sw chips with salt and vinegar is yum. I made some cheesy chicken pasta bake today and is delicious and does not feel like I'm missing out on anything...

X

I plan my meals as best as I can but sometimes I just can't help the snacking feeling.

I just try and make sure I have things in the fridge and cupboard that I can snack on without doing too much damage.

Loads of fruit.
Pickled Onions
Muller Yoghurts (Loads!)
I even make small pots of sugar free jelly up.

I tend to think that snacking is normal, but as long as its low syn, or free foods I can't feel guilty about pigging out :)

Try not to think of it as a diet and starve yourself, try instead to just look at alternatives that you CAN eat!

Just a suggestion, but have you tried Paul Mckenna's I can make you thin cds whilst doing slimming world. Trying to work around the need to eat constantly might give you that extra edge to succeed. Quitting will do nothing for your self esteem other than making you feel like a failure. I don't believe you are a failure You have recognised your weaknesses and come on here to discuss it. Try to visualise where your hunger is when you want to start picking. If it higher than your stomach, the chances are you are not hungry. Before eating the snacks picture yourself eating it. If you get a warm feeling, go ahead, If you think "I don't want to do this" find a distraction.
If this is too difficult then another way is to make up a bowl of food in the morning that you give yourself permission to pick on throughout the day. It can have lots of superfree and free food in it as well as some of your counted syns. When it has all gone that is it for the day.
I wish you well. It is not an easy habit to break but at least you have started Good luck x

If this is too difficult then another way is to make up a bowl of food in the morning that you give yourself permission to pick on throughout the day. It can have lots of superfree and free food in it as well as some of your counted syns. When it has all gone that is it for the day.

I have to say, that is a brilliant idea! Might try that one myself.

Some diet expert was on telly the other day (can't remember who or where) saying that the best thing to do when you want a snack is have a pint of water. Apparently, thirst cravings are often mistaken for hunger. Don't know how true that is!!

I plan ahead A LOT with SW. I will splash out on a lot of pre-prepared fruit; let's be honest, who can be bothered cutting and skinning a pineapple when you want a snack? :rolleyes: I go through 3 bags of apples,2 bags of bananas and various punnets of other stuff each week.

I don't have anything in the house that is "naughty" to snack on and unfortunately for him, this i something my other half has to put up with. There are lots of people who say they can't not have snacks in the house as the other members of the household like them- tough!! My other half shouldn't be eating it anyway, plus it winds me up if he eats it front of me and the mere thought of chocolate in the cupboard keeps me awake at night. If he wants a snack he can walk to the shop!!

My first foray into SW was when I was getting over a nervous breakdown. I lost 3stone that time, so it can be done :) Good luck, you'll get a lot of support around here.

JezVonSavage said:
Some diet expert was on telly the other day (can't remember who or where) saying that the best thing to do when you want a snack is have a pint of water. Apparently, thirst cravings are often mistaken for hunger. Don't know how true that is!!

I plan ahead A LOT with SW. I will splash out on a lot of pre-prepared fruit; let's be honest, who can be bothered cutting and skinning a pineapple when you want a snack? :rolleyes: I go through 3 bags of apples,2 bags of bananas and various punnets of other stuff each week.

I don't have anything in the house that is "naughty" to snack on and unfortunately for him, this i something my other half has to put up with. There are lots of people who say they can't not have snacks in the house as the other members of the household like them- tough!! My other half shouldn't be eating it anyway, plus it winds me up if he eats it front of me and the mere thought of chocolate in the cupboard keeps me awake at night. If he wants a snack he can walk to the shop!!

My first foray into SW was when I was getting over a nervous breakdown. I lost 3stone that time, so it can be done :) Good luck, you'll get a lot of support around here.

I am exactly the same... Nothing naughty is bought from the supermarket and if it is it better be eaten before I see it otherwise hubby is in trouble! Lol

3 bags of apples? Lol I struggle with apples sometime.. have my off days with them.

I've discovered bachelors golden savoury rice which are free as are some pasta and sauce packets too- good when u are in a rush and don't Want to cook..

I am exactly the same... Nothing naughty is bought from the supermarket and if it is it better be eaten before I see it otherwise hubby is in trouble! Lol

3 bags of apples? Lol I struggle with apples sometime.. have my off days with them.

I've discovered bachelors golden savoury rice which are free as are some pasta and sauce packets too- good when u are in a rush and don't Want to cook..

I struggle with stuff too- mostly fruit actually. I can't eat grapes because they burst in my mouth and it knocks me ill!! Then I go through phases with red berries- i'll eat them constantly for weeks then one day I just think "eeeeeeeee" and I'm off them for months! Weird, isn't it??

I've always been a comfort eater & in the past I've also suffered from depression & turned to food. I've found SW to be amazing as nothing is off limits. There's plenty of free food which is unlimited & if you want something a little naughty thats what your syns are there for.

Personally, it took me a while but SW definitely taught me to eat but CHOOSE BETTER. Plus I found that when I reach for fruit over a big bar of chocolate (which would be over my daily syn allowance) I'd actually feel better in myself knowing I was choosing a healthy option & that made me feel good.

Maybe look into buying the little books for branded free foods & low syn snacks. Find a few things that really work for you, for me its my daily curly wurly. It fills the "chocolate gap" I have & I FEEL BETTER knowing I've stuck to SW.

I know how difficult that is . In 2011 I was diagnosed with post natal depression, Generalised anxiety Disorder and am still in therapy for severe depression, thus the reason that i gained so much weight, i found that slimming world was a good diet for me because i can always pick at foods but there helathy ones, when i get fed up of fruit i home bake potato wedges or have a yoghurt, there are so many options, just fill your cupboards full of healthy stuff and when your feeling down why not try going for a walk with nothing more than a apple or something with you, soon gets me away from the chocolates! :eek: Hope you can find the support you need to succeed here.... you can get through this. xxx

hi , and welcome I suffer from compulsive eating disorder which has bought me to the position i am now in:eek:

I get stressed lose control and binge its as simple as that, don't care what it is, its the act of eating that i crave :confused:

what i have discovered in the last 6 months is that i can make slimming world work for me. i don't always get it right i have good days and bad days but with medical help and support from here i finely feel in control of it :)

i keep "bad" things out of the house, keep in lots of fresh fruit and low syn treats.

boiled eggs work as do alpen lights chopped carrots and cucumber and if your doing ee or red days, cold meats. where i get my best losses is when i make a big pan of syn free soup or chilli and then if i need to snack i have options

the key for me is most definetly planning, but also forgiving myself when i do lose control and getting back on plan.

It's never going to go away i am just hoping to control it and my weight.

SW offers me the most flexible way of doing this :D

good luck xxxx

Don't give up,at least try :) It's not worth it. I stopped last year,after loosing a stone,my depression went bit too far and i was eating eating eating. Stopped the classes,stopped the diet,got it all back and even more :(
I would say first you have to sort your head out,go and get antidepressants,or change them if you already on them,or ask for a higher dose. As soon as your head will get better you will have more chances to keep the diet,as i'm doing it now.
Wish you good luck,i know how hard it is ...

Back