Feel Like Such A Fraud :(

dreamslim

Silver Member
Tonight in group one lady came up to me at the end and told me I inspired here. I'm so privileged that she told me that but at the same time I feel like a complete fraud.

Most of you on here probably know my story but for those of you who don't....... I joined sw in April last year and lost a stone in the first 3 months. I then started slowly putting back on 0.5 here, 1.5 there (although still going to group) and by Christmas I had put on the stone and 3.5 extra pounds.

When I put my mind to it I lose really well but I struggle to maintain the momentum for more than a few weeks and always have a few weeks lacking in mojo.

When this lady said to me tonight that I was an inspiration to her I very quickly jumped in to explain that I shouldn't be because....... (my journey is no secret to my group and this lady has been going about the same time that I have).

I came home and cried to be honest because I feel like I don't deserve to be called an inspiration. I'm going to try to use the experience to inspire me (in a weird kinda way) coz I want people to be inspired by me but for all the right reasons and not just coz, now and then, when I put my mind to it, I can lose 2-4lbs in a week.

The said thing is that, on my consultants handheld I've only lost 4.5lbs in 12 months so that's not inspirational but I want that to change starting now. I set myself a challenge for April to lose 15lbs (which means being focussed 100%) and lost 2 this week so I'm 1lb behind so far (I have 5 weigh ins in April). I just need something to keep reminding me of what the lady said tonight and keep me motivated.

Sorry for the ranty message but I really needed to get it off my chest as I feel so down and fake after what's happened. :(

Being an inspiration to somebody isn't just about being 100% and losing every week. There's a lady at my group who has yo yo'd since I joined. She had really been struggling but she inspires me by having the view that she will get there in the end and the more detours she takes along the way the more thankful she will be for getting there. When you work harder for something you appreciate it more. Maybe that's what she meant :) xx

ScarlettStar86 said:
Being an inspiration to somebody isn't just about being 100% and losing every week. There's a lady at my group who has yo yo'd since I joined. She had really been struggling but she inspires me by having the view that she will get there in the end and the more detours she takes along the way the more thankful she will be for getting there. When you work harder for something you appreciate it more. Maybe that's what she meant :) xx

I hope so. I think my consultant is brilliant but sometimes I worry that she's TOO good. Haha. As much as I don't keep a secret of my yo-yo from the members that I talk to, she obviously doesn't mention it in class and really focusses on my losses. I worry that this means that people think 'oooohhh, isn't she doing well' when the truth is, I'm not.

I'm determined that I'm going to EARN my inspiration status though so am going to use it to turn my attitude around.

Thanks, I do appreciate it, just came out of group with a weird feel of pride and shame, ya know? I know the lady was being lovely and I get on really well with her so it's not like it's her fault, haha, I just want to prove that I can be an inspiration for the right reasons. :) Xx

dreamslim said:
I hope so. I think my consultant is brilliant but sometimes I worry that she's TOO good. Haha. As much as I don't keep a secret of my yo-yo from the members that I talk to, she obviously doesn't mention it in class and really focusses on my losses. I worry that this means that people think 'oooohhh, isn't she doing well' when the truth is, I'm not.

I'm determined that I'm going to EARN my inspiration status though so am going to use it to turn my attitude around.

Thanks, I do appreciate it, just came out of group with a weird feel of pride and shame, ya know? I know the lady was being lovely and I get on really well with her so it's not like it's her fault, haha, I just want to prove that I can be an inspiration for the right reasons. :) Xx

That's a great way to look at if, to use this experience to make you feel you deserve it (which I'm sure you do). Sorry to hear it upset you to feel you didnt deserve it, hope soon enough you feel you do xx

This lady may be more inspired by your perseverance than by any perceived weight loss. Getting on those scales when you've had a bad week is the toughest thing to do & the fact is that if you weren't going every week you'd probably be a stone heavier now that you were 12 months ago x

I also get called an inspiration :blush: but I think it's more for my perseverance,the lifestyle changes and the way I brush myself off and start again when I fall off the wagon xx be proud of what you've achieved xx

I think it's more inspiring that you face up to your gains and yo-yo-ing and still make yourself turn up to class. I don't know many people that can do that, most people just stop turning up and dont face up to it, then turn up a year later and 3 stone heavier. Respect to you for perservering x :)

Thanks everyone for all your lovely words. I feel a bit better today and am trying to use it to (in a weird way) inspire me to go at it so next time I get told I'm an inspiration it'll put a smile on my face. :)

I agree with both Kingleds and ermintrude, you are an inspiration, you have walked in week after week even when you have gained and continued to persevere. We don't like being praised when we think we have done nothing to deserve it but we all believe you have. Keep yourself motivated by this.

agree with all above, keeping going when it would be easier to quit is a very inspirational quality,

good for you for using it to turn yourself around in your weight loss journey xx

This lady may be more inspired by your perseverance than by any perceived weight loss. Getting on those scales when you've had a bad week is the toughest thing to do & the fact is that if you weren't going every week you'd probably be a stone heavier now that you were 12 months ago x

Exactly what I think!
I joined ( for the zillionth time ) in January 2009, lost 2 and a half stone.
I put it all back on throughout 2010 and then rejoined for the FINAL time in Dec 2010 and then lost 4 last year - I have hovered around the 3.5 - 4 stone mark ever since.

When I went back last time , having put on my 2,5 stone, my good pal janet told me I inspired her because I went back and faced the music.

It's not all about the scales - so do not feel like a fraud! xxxxxx

You have not given up that is an inspiration most people would of threw towel in ages ago, losing weight is the hardest thing I have ever done and I have given up so many times, so yes you are a inspiration to all of us for not giving up. Turn this into a positive and keep up the good work and hope you get to your target weight in the near future. Xxx

Sounds like you've got a great attitude about it and can turn it to a positive :)

Back