Feelgood vitamins in packs: how to maintain them post-LL?

Beeswax

Tiny dancer
Sorry if this is covered in another thread, but I can't find it!

I'm experiencing - and loving - those 'feelings of energy and wellbeing' others have reported when on LL - I'm ready to go from the moment I wake up, don't feel I "need" that morning cup of coffee, less grumpy, able to concentrate for long periods, can keep going all day and well into the evening, feel exceptionally well-intentioned towards the world!

Is this the vitamins and minerals in the packs? And if so, how do I keep up this mix when I've lost the weight and have finished LL?

For most of my life I've been slim, eaten a healthy and varied diet, and taken a multivitamin but I have honestly *never* felt this "okay" and clear-headed since I was a child!

FYI previous blood tests haven't shown I'm lacking any vitamins and since starting LL I haven't changed anything - caffeine consumption, smoking (I'll tackle that when I've tackled my weight ;)).

If it's not vitamins/minerals, could it be a low-carb thing? That said, I did Atkins for 2 weeks a few years ago and felt sick as a dog ;)

So any advice appreciated, especially for LLers in maintenance and beyond :)

- Bea

a good question!
3 weeks after finishing RTM my skin is beaving badly! i have had a few spots - not had one since starting - and my face just looks 'dull'

possibly could be down to the amount of water i drank on LL / am not drinking now - or could be lack of 100% nutrition from the packs

let me know if you find out!

daisy x

I know it's different for everyone, but I felt the same so since going onto RTM
I take 1 muti vitamin every day, 2 soluble Vitamin C 1000mg and a spoonful of honey.
I have loads of fruit, fresh and dried and a small handful of pine nuts.

I can only say that the reason I did LL was because I kept getting bronchitis, laryngitis and eventually pneumonia. I could never get well or get my energy back completely.
Since doing LL I have had 1 slight cold last year which lasted 3 days and went away.
UNBELIEVABLE. I haven't been this well since - actually I can't remember!
I've just asked my husband. He's never know me so fit and energetic. We've been together 16 years.
Lots of fresh fruit and vegetables and keep drinking the water, reduced alcohol. I still have too much black coffee,but hey, I haven't turned into a Saint !!!

:angel:

Blenda - that's amazing! I hope post-LL has the same effect as me as I'm always getting every b*dy bug under the sun. A month before starting LL I had swine flu (I'm one of those people who gets flu - proper flu - every year).

Daisy - maybe it's the water or maybe it's lack of a particular vitamin? Might be worth revisiting the vitamins page in your green book to see if there's one that's skin related and try and supplement it with pills or (preferably) diet?

I have a pop-in next week so I might grill my LLC about it then. I've asked her about 20 questions about it already so she's probably a little bit sick of it... oh well. Enquiring mind(s) need to know!

Hey Beeswax - Thats what your LLC is there for!! Im sure she doesnt mind in the slightest! And let us know what she says.

Hi,
undoubtedly low-carb high protein (ketogenic diet) does boost feelings of well-being, but this is possibly helped by the vitamins (especially if your previous diet was defficient).

For me, processed carbs (and unfortunately alcohol) do cause me problems and I feel much better avoiding them where I can.

Fortunately I love meat and nuts and low carb veggies!

I'm the opposite :(

I read your post and couldn't believe my eyes. I am on day 6, first week and I still feel dreadful. I have a headache every day, no energy and just feel ill with weakness. I had been following a low calorie diet before LLL (i am on the lite program) and am not that over weight, want to lose a stone but to be in the healthy range i would only need to lose a few pounds. Please tell me someone else felt like this??! All I hear is that everyone else has energy and feels great! This is good for you of course but I would like to know that this will go away and I'll feel like you soon. I'm not particularly hungry and it's not that i'm craving to eat stuff I just feel very light headed all the time and weak. Thanks for any responses.

I read your post and couldn't believe my eyes. I am on day 6, first week and I still feel dreadful. I have a headache every day, no energy and just feel ill with weakness... Please tell me someone else felt like this??! All I hear is that everyone else has energy and feels great! This is good for you of course but I would like to know that this will go away and I'll feel like you soon. I'm not particularly hungry and it's not that i'm craving to eat stuff I just feel very light headed all the time and weak. Thanks for any responses.

Hi OnlyMe, you're going through exactly what I went through from days 1 - 4. I was lightheaded, overwhelmingly physically hungry, headachey, weak, felt faint, had no energy.

I *think* it's the process of getting into ketosis - some people do it very quickly, some take longer. I hit mine on day 4, you might hit yours on day 7. Once you get into ketosis you *will* feel a lot better; it might just be taking you a while.

In the meantime, ring your LLC for advice, and take it EASY. The first few days can be awful - here's something I wrote about them for the 'tips' thread:

1. Your first week - clear your diary, take a duvet day or two if you can and load up on magazines, DVDs, smelly candles and whatnot. Your body will be changing fuel supply and while some people feel fine, I had headaches, nausea, wooziness and was incredibly tired. Drink the water and hang in there. Do not meet friends in restaurants or cafes! Until you get into ketosis (after which you will probably feel loads better - I did) you may be physically hungry. Being around lots of food may make you feel miserable, so be kind to yourself and meet friends at their homes or yours. That's not to say become a hermit for all of Foundation! Just in the first week.

Good luck! It WILL get better!

- Bea :)

PS: Also, come and browse over at the September Starters thread - there was a lot of moaning in the beginning (particularly from me - "when will this horribleness end?!" etc.) and loads of advice and support. It may answer some of your questions :)

Kind of in relation to the feeling of well being... You may be feeling fantastic from the 'ketosis' not so much from the vitamins you are receiving... in the long term, both my partner and I found that some vitamins were indeed missing from the packs and my boyfriend had a folic acid/iron deficiency and the startings of anemia... :/
Technically speaking with a healthy varied diet we should be getting everything we need and don't necessarily have to take a vitamin after LL. Compared to some people's diet pre-LL (no substantial vegetables, mostly carbs and sugar) - of course the surge of sudden nutrients from the packs is very noticable.

Personally I take Cod Liver Oil daily, and a nice chewy MultiVitamin. :)

Thank you Minerva and Beeswax, I think I'll take a multi vit just in case. I'll speak to my leader tomorrow as it's weigh in day. My sister (who has lost 3.5 stone on LL) suggested it could be low Blood pressure? If anyone has views on that is would be interesting, thanks.

My sister (who has lost 3.5 stone on LL) suggested it could be low Blood pressure?

It could well be - although it does really sound the same as how I felt before I got into ketosis. It is horrible; I feel for you. :yuk:

Either way the best course of action would be to give your LLC a ring *toute suite* (or "toot sweet" as I prefer to spell it) as he or she will probably be able to advise you much better. Seriously!

Feel better! x

Re the feelings of 'wellness' I can honestly say that right through RTM and beyond (even to today), I still have the same energy and general spring in my step that I enjoyed on abstinance.

I'm still drinking a LOT of water, and don't 'do' caffeine at all. Some alcohol (mostly at weekends and then stay well clear of beer), and almost no refined carbs - especially bread which does bring me 'down'. Plenty of fresh veg, at least 1 portion of fruit a day and regular exercise - OMG how 'holy' do I sound!!

Nothing else. No supplements etc - maybe I'm just very lucky, or maybe it's the euphoria of having shed the lbs that keeps me going :)

Thanks Sean, that's really helpful! I'm not sure I'll be knocking coffee on the head totally (I need one vice!) and I did eat plenty of fresh veg before (but also all the bad stuff too, obvs.) so I'll see if it makes a difference once I'm in maintenance. :)

Well to be fair, I feel pretty good usually too... I probably don't need the vitamin I take, but I like the Basset's chewy thing, because it's like a little sweet! :D
I mainly keep to more than 5 portions (probably more like 10! lol) of vegetables and fruit per day, some carbs (never big portions: about half the "recommended" adult portion per meal - not with every meal, and never highly refined white variety - wholemeal just tastes better - and is more satisfying), and of course protein which doesn't JUST include meat/fish. Beans are awesome too; plus they contain minerals that some other sources don't. :)

The only days when I don't feel great post-RTM (have been on my own in "Maintenance" since 1st June) is when I haven't had enough to eat; but that's probably understandable! :p So yeah, I think Bee, you have a pretty good idea of how to live "healthily" taking into account all the things you need for a varied diet. It's just moving away from a carb/sugar - predominant diet to a more protein/vegetable - predominant diet with carbs on the side! :D Then the allowance for the "naughty" every once in a while is perfectly ok...!

Oh - and I never ever gave up the caffeine! I'm an absolute coffee addict :D The only thing I watch now is my 'Diet Coke' intake - in large quantities it doesn't make me feel great. Very gassy, bloated, and sometimes it can induce some sort of lethargy (after all it's just a brown slush of chemicals!). I have a glass with my evening meal nowdays as a treat, but try not to go beyond that. :)

Back