Feeling a bit fed up - is this normal?

Lotte

Hi. I started using Optifast (similar to lipotrim - we don't get that over here) yesterday. I am already in ketosis (ketostix, stinky breath and no hunger at all) because I had been low-carbing for a few days before to ease myself in to it. Yesterday I felt fine but today I have no motivation to do anything whatsoever. My body feels fine, full of energy etc, but I just feel out of sorts in my head, if you understand what I mean. I have been short-tempered and snappy with the children and have just felt down and a bit spaced out all day. I am not sure whether it is normal to feel a bit like this. I thought I'd feel happy, like I did when I did it before (started last month but caught flu part way through my first week) but I don't. I feel completely fed up which is unlike me. I could honestly sit and stare in to space for the rest of the day!

I am feeling a bit stressed about how I am going to cope if this continues. My hubby is working 9 days straight (is on day 2), then a day off, then another 9 days straight and then we are moving house! With two small children and the packing-up of the house to contend with I really should be up and going!

Any advice?

hi, sorry you're feeling so down. i'm only just at the end of my first week but I've had a few days like that, only off and on, but just gets you down a bit.

Just try to focus on the positives of why you're doing this and i'm sure you'll be fine. I'm on day 7 now and can honestly say this is the best i've felt so it does get better!!

Good luck with everything, there's always someone here to chat to so don't muddle through on your own.

take care
xx

I was like this until my first WI!! The results snapped me out of my mood! LOL! I think it's just your system re-adjusting to the diet, and after a few days it'll be used to it.

When I restarted my diet, I felt miserable. I was crying a lot of the time as it was hard readjusting and it is kind of true what people say, it is harder to get back on the diet and readjust again. I just felt miffed and didn't want to do much at all. However, once I got weighed, it was a lot easier for me, I had my routine back that I'd had before and I'm now in my 3rd week and feel like I did the first time.
I know you have some time ahead that'll be busy, but do start as soon as you can, especially the way you feel now as it will distract you from how you're feeling. Even if you set yourself a little goal of packing one box or something. It'll help and you'll probably find that once you get going, you won't be able to stop as you'll be on a roll xxx

Yes hunny I would say it's normal. Deep down I think sometimes we feel deprived. We subconsciously think 'It's not fair' Everyone around us is indulging in food and we can't. We're not getting the highs or rushes from sugars, carbs etc. We're surviving on natural highs.

After your first weigh in you'll feel so differently. Your loss will spur you on and make you more determined and the initial lows will be worth it. Keep remembering why you're doing this, repeat it in your head over and over, and if you ever feel like you need some support pop on here. This forum is my lifeline as I sometimes feel alone, as if no one understands, then I come on here and everyone has at one time experienced how I feel. We're all in the same boat.

So agree withyou there Betsy :)

Yep... Betsy was spot on there...

It can definitely be hard, especially at the start, as we feel our biggest 'comfort' has been almost ripped away from us! I felt really unhappy...for maybe a week and a half....but then it just changes. If you stick with it you'll start feeling much happier and realise that far from being deprived you are working towards a happier, healthier you- and that's the best feeling in the world.

Chin up hun- and remember to come on here if you're feeling down- we're always here for you

x

Hi,
hope you are feeling better now and have got some energy back. The first few days can be hard but as everyone says it will get better, especially after that first magic weigh in. Wishing you all the best.
Doirin

Thank you guys. You really are all lovely!

I had a good cry when dh got home last night, and told him how I felt, that I felt that I was trying to cope with too much and that I felt that something had to give. He looked after the girls whilst they finished eating so I could go and have a bath and then after they went to bed I sat and wrote a huge list of everything I have to do over the next couple of weeks. I will just plough my way through it. Seems more managable now it is written down somehow!

I had decided that I was going to put the Optifast on hold until after we moved when dh got home, but after all that I was good and put any thoughts of food out of my head and had my shake.

Feel much brighter this morning, dh didn't have to be at work until 12.30 so we went and got our anniversary pressie (5 years tomorrow!) and took the kids to the local playground for a bit. The sun is shining and the birds are singing (well, squawking, they don't really sing!) and I do feel a bit better. I am just feeling a bit like there is no light at the end of the tunnel at the minute, dh has just started a business so he is working really long hours and lots of days, our eldest dd is missing him terribly, especially on nights when he isn't home until after she has gone to bed. And then we are moving, which I am looking forwards to, but feeling stressed about at the same time, then 10 days after we move my 82 year old gran is flying out here to see us, and I am stressing a bit about her flying on her own etc.

Anyways, thank you again. It is good to have support from others who are in the same boat, as it were. Dh is sympathetic but at the same time he hasn't actually got any idea how hard it is because he hasn't done it!

Back