Flu Jab

pandorasinbox

Queen Geek
This might seem like an odd question, but being that we are on the absolute minimum amount of calories a body needs to run and it's advised we take in more while ill, might it be a good idea for those long term CDers to get the flu jab if it's available to us?

Just thinking we're probably not as capable of fighting these things off, but I might be totally wrong!

(This has come to mind as I have been suffering from a hideous respiratory infection since Sunday.)

Hiya,

Only young children and old people should have the flu jab. Or those with a weakened immune system.

As it is, the flu jab is only effective for about a month anyway and we aren't into Flu season yet, so if you do want it, I would go and have it in January.

If you do get flu, theres not an awful lot you can do anyway except sit at home and sweat it out for a couple of weeks, theres no antibiotics you can take and cold/flu remedy will just dull the symptoms, it won't get rid of it. :)

Last year I started CD in September and it was the first year for ages I didn't have at least 2 stinking winter colds -I put it down to getting all the right nutrients etc whilst on CD so the opposite of CD running me down due to low calories - Either could be right but I guess if you do get a bug it will be tough to recover on low cals... but I won't be running to get the flue jab

I've had an upper respiratory infection for nearly a week now that has barely loosened off at all. It's the second bug I've caught since I started on a VLCD, which is why I've been put in the mind of it.

Wasn't sure what the consensus would be, but did figure it would probably be no to the jab!

Hope you are feeling better soon - my theory will soon be put to the test as had a really sore throat all night (and still do) and started CD today so whatever bug I have I can't blame on the VLCD but if I'm slow to get over it I'll be blaming it for that!!

your doctor will not give you it unless you need it. A vlcd doesn't really entitle you to the vaccine, because you won't need it. Like the above poster said, you only get it if you are elderly and/or immuno-compromised.

You can do nothing about catching a bug... you just catch them like everyone else. Calorie intake only affects how your body fights it. Won't kill you, just may take a bit longer to fight off.

I would say if you have been sick for a while and its gotten no better, you may need antibiotics.. if you admit to being on a vlcd you may be lectured a bit as well, a lot of doctors tend to disapprove at the best of times xx

Only old people, children, and at risk groups eg asthmatics, HIV/aids suffers, diabetics etc are offered the jabs.

I reckon they are stock piling for future endemics of weird animal flu.

I wouldn't bother asking. ESPECIALLY if you already ill because they'll turn you away-it's too late for it when youre already ill and you might infect everyone else at the surgery!!!

I hate injections......

We're kind of 'talked into' having the flu jab because of working in a hospital. Given the choice I'd rather not bother because I don't get ill very often at all, I'm very lucky. I also feel so much healthier when I'm on CD, not run down or lethargic. I also put it down to getting all the right nutrients from my CD packs.

I have been encouraged too.....as a teacher and an asthmatic I should have it. I had the swine flu jab in one are and the normal flu jab in the other arm. And I have my suspicions about the link between my on going should pain and my reaction to the swine flu jab (Im sure I had a few days of the WORST flu I've ever had (swine flu??? I dunno I didn't leave the house) despite being vaccinated!!). I'm probably not going to have either.......

Our jab is combined so can't avoid the swine flu one. Last year I vowed not to have it because my arm was badly bruised, hot and painful. But this year after being talked into it, it was fine, no bruise, and only sore for a day or two, not painful. The nurse who did it this year is my friend and she said it's all in the technique.... As for the flu like symptoms I've been lucky but a few others have suffered, makes you wonder if it's really worth it.

Setas said:
Last year I started CD in September and it was the first year for ages I didn't have at least 2 stinking winter colds -I put it down to getting all the right nutrients etc whilst on CD so the opposite of CD running me down due to low calories - Either could be right but I guess if you do get a bug it will be tough to recover on low cals... but I won't be running to get the flue jab

True! I personally find that I'm hardly I'll with anything on cd!

Back