Food abuse?

Red Riding Hood

Silver Member
I have seen the term 'food abuse' used in some posts with reference to something that Slimming World would consider food abuse.

I just wondered what it was?

It seems that it is the use of free food in a snack not a main meal, is that correct?

In this months magazine they reccomend have homemade houmous and veg or slices of ham or SW quiche in the fridge for snacking on but would this be termed as 'food abuse'?

I have made homemade houmous to snack on (always with lots of raw carrot sticks and peppers). Am I doing something wrong?

I'm doing SW from home alone without the aid of online or a consultant and I'd hate to be messing up in my first week.

Red Riding Hood said:
I have seen the term 'food abuse' used in some posts with reference to something that Slimming World would consider food abuse.

I just wondered what it was?

It seems that it is the use of free food in a snack not a main meal, is that correct?

In this months magazine they reccomend have homemade houmous and veg or slices of ham or SW quiche in the fridge for snacking on but would this be termed as 'food abuse'?

I have made homemade houmous to snack on (always with lots of raw carrot sticks and peppers). Am I doing something wrong?

I'm doing SW from home alone without the aid of online or a consultant and I'd hate to be messing up in my first week.

To me it is when people use something that is technically free food yet they are using it in a way that it wasn't intended to be used as. This leads people to eat more food than they normally would and can seriously hinder losses even though they think they are eating nothing wrong.

Sounds confusing if your new to SW, the food abuse usuals are such as using couscous to make sweet cakes or muffins, making home made crisps in the microwave or tortilla chips from lasagne sheets.

Eating free foods between meals is fine, although some say it's best to stick to fruit if possible when your on EE.

Hope that makes sense and hasn't confused you even more!!

I wouldn't see that a SW quiche would be using the food in the wrong way, and I think we need to remember that not everybody used pasta or rice in their quiches. To me it seems that as the pasta is still bulky, then it will be just as filling in a quiche as it is on it's own.

Personally, from the response I had from SW in the past, I took it that the main thing is that changing the food from bulky and filling to crispy and snacky is not a proper use of the food.

Red Riding Hood said:
So would homemade houmous be ok then do you think? If served with plenty of superfree.

Yes, as it would still be really filling. Do you have a good recipe? Any time Iv tried to make it it's vile!!

well I like my recipe Daisy but it might not be to everyone's taste. I drain 2 tins of chickpeas (and retain some of the liquid from the tin) put in a load of garlic, lemon juice, add back some of the liquid to help blend it. I also add chopped up chilli, chilli powder or paprika and salt. It doesn't taste like shop bought but I actually prefer it. I've been making my own houmous for years I just skip the tahini for SW. I think you have to play with the flavours to make it to your taste. Some prefer it more lemony (I don't) some more garliky (I do) and I like the little touch the chilli brings to it.

Back