Food Confessional Thread - Unburdening, Blips, Tips, Advice

sun

Gold Member
savage-14747.gif

Myself, Laura (chunkychicken) had blips yesterday, and Goomby, Mrs Lard, and other chick gave some great advice, so Thankyou for that.

If this thread helps people on RtM and Strugglers in Foundation that is great:D

:worthy: :eatdrink051:

First ever gain
Oh dear...

Week 3 management and I have had my first gain of 2.2lbs.
I was a little shocked to finally see the scales go up after such a long time - but I think i am ok with it.

For starters I have been so caught up in the food side of things that my water intake has dribbled away to nothing (eek) so currently my rings which kept flying off my fingers a week ago - are stuck in little furrows where my hands are all puffy! So as of today - my little postit is stuck back on my monitor at work so I can mark off my water intake throughout the day (something I onyl stopped doing this week!)

Also, I made some homemade bread for a dinner party the night before weigh in ..... you know the rest..... it was only one slice, but I think that made a bi difference on the scales.

All sounds pretty reasonable doesn't it - until I fess up to the 2 thick slices of homemade bread toasted with butter and homemade srtawberry jam that I rebelliously troffed last night after weigh in.
Whoops. So weight this morning is even worse. BAD GIRL! It stops there and everything is fine today. Water chart ... check. Healthy food only ... check. No more bread.... (awwwww thats not fair....) check!!! No more baking...... definately check.

Chunkychicken is back on track as of ..... NOW!

By the way - does anyone know how long it takes roughly for your glycogen stores to re-fill if you follow the programme strictly? At the moment the fluctuations are insane - one slice of bread seems to equal 2.2lb gain. I know this doesn't happen in the "real world" once your glycogen is full and you are back to "normal" - I assume this must be around week 8 or so as this is when you add in the trigger weeks - but does anyone actually know ?

Many thanks
Naughty Chicken.
x

Hi Laura x

Ok as you know I am at the end of my week 3 management, This morning I had gone up by 3lbs as last night I went out with OH and friends for a meal and had a rump steak and salad, my first red meat in 12 weeks, It was fabulous and I ate it all, shouldnt of done but I did, also yesterday I had a major protein binge, late afternoon I just ate some large prawns with vinegar and pepper, a slice of ham and 2 small cooked chicken pieces which where sundried tomato and basil flavoured. OOps!

An hour before we went out my daughter was cooking tuna & pasta for herself and sister, cooked too much and there I was eating what was left in the pan, Now Pasta, I am not a great lover of it so to me it is not a trigger food, but it is high in carbs, and what with loads of fruit yesterday it is not suprising a gain of 3lbs from yesterday and whilst its confession time I also had 3 glasses of red wine last night as well.

I have just realised ho important it is to write down what you eat a day, as I am typing this I cannot believe how much I ate yesterday, but in my mind I thought it wasnt that bad, how wrong was I.

I have slight guilt now, but today I dont feel hungry.

And I must try to drink water again as I just dont drink it at all now.!

xx

Dear Laura

Everything you say makes PERFECT sense. Sorry if I sounded harsh????

One thing that has helped me enormously is my LLC saying don't let a blip become a trend. When I put on weight for two weeks running, her words made sense.

The other thing is that LL is ALL about accessing your adult and you will make the programme work for you. Remember, many (including myself) have fallen long, long, long before you.

Big kiss.

Mrs Lxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Laura, I have quite a few thoughts about glycogen! First, here is a reply I got from LL HQ when I asked about it:

This is really quite individual, glycogen stores can be in continuous flux and energy requirements are different for different people. It would also depend very much upon what you choose to eat and the amounts that you eat during Route to Management, but it is also dependent upon how active you are. To speak very generally, your glycogen stores could start to replenish slightly from the very beginning of the Route to Management, but only very gradually, and this is part of the reason for reintroducing carbohydrate foods very gradually, to avoid the sudden storage of glycogen and the water associated with this. From around week 3 or 4 of the management programme slightly more carbohydrate is introduced in the form of fruit and then in week 5 starchy vegetables are introduced and these are higher in carbohydrate than other choices and so most people are probably more likely to start to replenish glycogen at this stage, and will probably continue to increase throughout the weeks.

As with everything there are no hard and fast rules as everybody is completely different.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.
Kind regards
Jo

I have had a gain over the last 2 days as I have eaten some high GI carbs after not eating anything other than very low GI for a while. Here is what I ate (confession): 2 roast potatoes, 1 yorkshire pudding, 2 cookies, 2 shortbread biscuits, 2 packs of mini pringles, 1 small slice of cake. And no, I didn't eat them all at once! They were spread over 2 days and I really enjoyed eating them! Now I estimate that adds up to about 1500 calories. Given that you have to overeat by 3500 calories to gain a pound of fat, I think the fact that my scales show 4 lbs higher:eek: this morning than on Tuesday has something to do with glycogen. I am by no means an expert in nutrition so what I think is not necessarily correct but here goes:

At the start of this week I reckon my glycogen was pretty much depleted and I was eating in a way that the Food Doctor eating plan advocates, eating low GI little and often to give your body fuel as it needs it from what you've just eaten rather than what you have stored as glycogen solution. So when I stuffed some high GI food in, my body released a load of insulin into my blood to sort out the big sugar load and converted it to glycogen, which, as we've been told, is held in 4 times its weight in water. So although my first instinct is to panic and think,"I'm rubbish at this; I can't control my eating; I'll get fat again...etc" I know in my head that this blip is just that and it doesn't mean much unless I let it. I've got to think rationally and face why I went down the high GI road (basically I was tired and there was nobody around to see me when I ate the crisps and cookies!). Then I hope I will learn from this episode of "off-piste" eating (love that phrase Mrs L!) and get back to where I was. I think glycogen does fluctuate a lot if you are eating a low GI diet so anything high GI will show up on the scales in a disproportionate way.

Just seen your last post and can really relate to your enjoyment of the bread! The difficulty I experience when I let my hair down is ithat it can start me off on a craving for cakes and biscuits, so I know I need to be careful. It is lovely having a piece of toast and butter after so long though, isn't it?! Off to have a salad now...__________________

Right then my fellow chicken :D

Have you been keeping up with your thought records. It's time to see this a positive and make the most of it.

You are doing fabulously to have recognised the issues with water and put in place a strategy to help you. You now ned to do the same regarding the food.

What were you feeling when you had your blip, were you are to put some time between the want and the have to allow you ti think it through or did it all happen so fast you only realised what had happened afterwards.

This is a fantastic oportunity for you to work on a few issues so go for it :D__________________

This is a great idea Sun,

My worst day of all of the week is Sunday (I posted the same last week) as it tends to be a "lazy day" and we rarely go out anywhere, it tends to turn into a bit of a graze fest.
it doesn't help that we live in an open plan flat where our main room is the lounge, dining room and kitchen rolled into one.
Sitting watching TV in what is basically the kitchen means that everytime I get up to do anything I seem to be opening the fridge!!! I won more battles than I lost yesterday - but it takes constant vigiliance. Perhaps I should lock the fridge on Sundays??????
Nevermind, I'll get to the bottom of it.
Take care all
Larura

aww Laura, way to go for yeserday. Its made me think, I havent fathomed out yet my vulnerable times, not realised if their is any kind of pattern, I shall write down and see for future reference what comes of it, thanks Laura xxxx

Hi Laura, Claire xxxxx

Thanks ever so much, its amazing how you feel you have ate too much but reality when counting the calories its not too bad.

I've been really thinking today since starting management, I did hope to lose my last few pounds whilst doing management, the 1st week I did lose 3lbs, obviously the gain of 1.5 last week not exactly shocked as such but I'd hoped to still have gone down by 1lb, tonight is weigh in again, I am not confident as I had a huge dinner party yesterday for 10 people and I was out to impress, although it was a roast lamb dinner with all trimmings, I naughtily cooked roast pots in goose fat!, NO, I didnt have any, but my guests said they were to die for. I also made 3 naughty puds, (quite proud of myself actually)!
They were Raspberrys in kirsch tart tatain (sp), the creme anglais worked out beautifully, pear and raspberry crumble and treacle tart!, I also made custard from scratch using vanilla pods and cream.

Now, I did have a taster, and I mean taster, I am glad I did as it satisfied me completely, had I not tasted, old days would have seen me have all 3 puds in one dish and scoff scoff scoff.

I am sure it will level out and get to my target of 8.10 (lowest), I aim to manage between 8.10 and 9.2.

Anyway ladies, thankyou and I'll let you know tonights WI!, it wont be until tomorrow as I have got 3 nightduties in a row, (Boo Hoo :( )

sun xxxxxxxxxx

Back