food inspiration needed

kazzymc

Gold Member
i know we have the 600cal meals sticky but im really needing some new inspiration for simple 600 cal meals that are pretty quick to cook as im running out of ideas :eat:

if i am in a rush i do simple things like beans/spag/tomato on toast.
omlete with eggs, onions, mushrooms,ham and beans. yes i have lots of beans in my cupboard :D
microwave meal with veg to bulk it out,
pizza with beans :D

been toying with some meal plans for when i go back to university, so many this will help you out. someone else might want to double check them though since i'm quite new to calorie counting. but things like the lasania and chilli con carni could be made in like 2 or 4 portions if your just eating on your own and frozen then reheated with some fresh rice.
hope it helps a little though. all the meals are less than £3 a portion.

chilli Con Carne
ASDA Lean Beef Steak Mince ¼ bag 113g 160 kcal
Chilli Con Carne Sauce Mix schwartz 1/2 packet 60 kcal

ASDA Smartprice Red kidney beans in water 1/2 tin 137 kcal
ASDA Smartprice Chopped tomatoes 1/2 tin 42kcal
Easy cook long grain rice 1/3 166g 160kcal
total price around £1.38 portion 559kcal

brown the mince off in a saucepan making sure its fully cooked and drain off the fat. then add in the chopped tomartos + drained kidney beans and mix in the sauce mix slowly then bring to the boil while you let the rice cook.

lemon chicken & egg fried rice + stirfry veg
this one takes some time but nice it you realy want some chinese food. you will need spray light for your pans unless you have good none stick ones.

1 chicken breast 126kcal
Easy cook long grain rice 166g 260kcal
Blue Dragon Stir fry sauce - lemon 1/2 pack 80kcal
lemon 1/2 10kcal
1 large egg 90kcal
Smartprice Stir fry veg 1 bag 129kcal
(Spray light as needed around 2kcal per spray)
total around £2.82 per portion 592kcal

Cook the rice in a pan with water and drain then leave it in a bowl as you prepare the rest.
using a good none stick pan or spray light heat the pan and add in the chicken diced up into small mouth sized chunks.
cook the chicken gentle moving it around on diffrent sizes to prevent it burning. once cooked add in the cooking sauce and heat on a low heat till it is warmed fully.

with a wok cook the stir fry veg quickly to crispen in a good none stick wok or a spray of spray light once done put these on the plate.
crack the edge and wisk the egg up a little with a fork just enought to mix the egg white and yoke together. then place into a hot empy none stick wok or a wok with some spray light in heated. quicky mix the egg around to make small mouth size chuncks then add in the rice and mix tougher quickly frying for afew mins to heat and combine it.

once the egg fried rice and lemon chicken onto the place adding some lemon slices for garnish.

I didn't realise those blue dragon sauces weren't too bad on calories, the OH has them all the time, thanks for the recipe will have to try that.

For quick easy stuff I usually just have an asda good for you ready meal and bulk it out with some veg, I usually have enough calories left over for a low cal dessert aswell

yeah i was quite suprised too. I was spending some time looking on the supermarkets web sites. A lot of the products have the nutrional information on there. I wish they had all the products kcals on there at least.

Kicking honey pork kebabs

I had a little play around with some cooking making a marinade for some pork since I fancied a pork kebab kinda thing. ended up with a honey pork kebabs with a kick to them. sweet honey taste with a slight spicy kick.
takes a bit of preparing though, not a every day meal a extra special treat you might want to save one of your snacks to bulk it up with veg.

Kicking honey pork kebabs

diced pork 180g £1.16 317kcal
Easy cook long grain rice 140g £0.21 135kcal
Honey (preferably clear honey) 2 tbsp £0.25 128kcal
smart price veg 65g £0.05 20kcal

total £1.67 600kcal

not really listed in the prices etc. since I think most people have spice racks and you use hardly any of them to spice it

equipment, herbs & spices
some metal barbecue skewers you can use in the oven

spices
ground ginger
cinnamon
paprika
mild chilli

1 tsp of mustard

preferably the night before or at least 5hrs before your going to eat get a bowl big enough for your pork.

put the 2 tablespoons of honey, 1 teaspoon of mustard, couple of pinches of ground ginger,cinnamon,paprika and depending on how spicy you like your food one to four pinches of mild chilli (don't put too much in tough its only to give a light kick not for full on spicy flavours so no more then about 4 really)
mix all ingredients together till you get a smooth paste. if the honey is too thick to stir you might need to heat it in the microwave for a minute till heats slight to become runny. once its all well mixed together add in your diced pork chunks and mix to coat and cover all the pork. place some cling-film or a cover and place in the fridge to marinade. best to leave it over night for better results.

The next day or about 5 hours later when your ready to eat take the pieces out and carefully place on metal skewers. and cook in the oven or grill (I did mine in the oven with some completely metal skewers resting over a baking tray so the meat didn't hit the bottom of the tray.) for about 30-40mins or till cooked all the way through. cook your veg and rice like normal.

odd mix of spices but I personally really liked it seams to give a lovely sweet honey taste but the spices gave it a extra special kick.

that sounds really nice

Back