Food on the go...

EllieWood

Hi all,
I'm travelling to stay with family this weekend and need something to take with me to eat on the train for my evening meal - its a 3 hour journey and I won't get there until late. Any suggestions for something that can be eaten cold, is filling, and tasty!?

Depends if you can use any of your HEX and what plan you are following (much easier to eat free foods when you can at home)
-Spicy chicken in a wholemeal pitta with spicy onions
-ham pitta salad
-Tuna pasta salad
-take a food flask of hot pasta/chilli/soup
-SW quiche (can't vouch for this as I don't eat eggs)
-Syn free sweet potato hummus and crudites

with lots of fruit & ff yoghurt

Have a lovely time whatever you choose

xx

i always feel self-conscious eating in public, especially in small quarters like that. i would probably buy a packet of chargrilled chicken strips and try to just take out a piece at a time and eat it. i would stay away from anything very smelly! chicken is good. :)

U can have 6 crackerbreads as healthy extra b, topped with cheese from hex a, or sliced meat, or cottage cheese etc.

Can also have 57g wholemeal roll, or 2 slices weight watchers bread, filled with egg Mayo (syns in Mayo) or cheese from hex a, sliced meat, tuna, salad etc

Muller yogs if u have a cool box

I do this when I'm working as generally spend 4-6 hrs driving!

I always take fruit to munch and you can have 2 alpen bars for 1 hex b so I take these as well.

Or lunchbox with salad in!

Plus if u stop in a cafe or services most places do baked potatoes with beans etc.

I save the containers you get chinese takeaways in, then when travelling you can take a tuna salad or similar but then bin the container so you don't end up carting it round with you.

. . .

Spicy chicken in a wholemeal pitta with spicy onions
-ham pitta salad
-Tuna pasta salad
-take a food flask of hot pasta/chilli/soup
-SW quiche (can't vouch for this as I don't eat eggs)
-Syn free sweet potato hummus and crudites

. . .

Spicy chicken, spicy onions, tuna, chilli????

Please, no!!

Please have some consideration for the other people on the train, sitting by you for up to three hours.

Someone sat next to me the other day eating a curried cornish pasty - I had to move, not just to another seat but to another carriage, because it smelled so awful.

And because there are very few trains these days which have windows that open, the smell has nowhere to go.

I've become rather an expert in what I call SW picnics. :D Here's what goes in mine (not always all at once)

sushi
ham
chicken roll
cherry tomatoes
mini babybel
pasta salad
carrots
cereal bars
cut up fruit
scan bran cake
crab sticks
couscous salad