For those planning weddings/recently married...

When I got hitched we paid for everything for our bridesmaids.

Sounds to me like your friend wants a wedding more than a marriage.

I have been both side, bride & bridesmaid.

For my bridesmaid I paid for everything, dress, shoes, jewellery, hair stylist & flowers.

Myself as a bridesmaid - I had to pay for everything!! :(

I ended up getting a local dress maker to make a copy of the dresss the bride wanted & bought the material locally & it ended up being so much cheaper - def might be worth looking into!

Whats the "dream" bridesmaid dress like???

I'm shocked by how many of you paid for your dresses when you were bridesmaids :eek: When I got married I had 2 bridesmaids & paid for both their dresses (£175 each 7 years ago!!) shoes, accessories. Paid for them to have professional hair, make up & spray tans. I bought them their jewellery as my gift to them & even paid for their overnight stays at the hotel with their partners!! Asking them to pay never even entered my head.

Good luck with your friend :)

Whats the "dream" bridesmaid dress like???

This - but not really sure on colour yet.

I brought it up with my friend and must have caught her on a good day - after explaining that I just can't commit to paying extortionate (and indefinite) amounts at the moment, and explaining that I'm not prepared to expect my OH to shell out for it (!!), she agreed that they would pay for shoes and accessories. I also asked about hair and make-up on the day (which I hadn't even considered until someone mentioned it on this thread!) and she said that they would be footing the bill for that.

Sooo, quite happy with how it turned out really. It's still an awful lot of money for a frock, but feel much happier about it knowing that they're prepared to pay a contribution.

It must have been a good day mind, I even managed to sway her opinion on the colour of the dresses - she'd previously said she wanted brown to 'tone in' with the decor of the reception venue. Saw a picture of the reception venue and 'tone in' was actually 'blend in'!! Think it'll be sage green, or possibly gold/orange?

Laura - the dress is truly beautiful.
I must say though that I've never heard of the bridesmaids having to pay for their own dresses, or shoes, or anything actually!

My bridesmaids paid for their dresses, but i let them pick the style and i decided the colour! Only thing was the dresses were £60, i got copies from China, i bought the shawls to go with them and necklases and flowers, didn't care about shoes as they were full length

They did this because i wasn't working and the wedding had already been put back 3 times

Also they offered, the company i used were great and i would recommend them to everybody!

This - but not really sure on colour yet.

I brought it up with my friend and must have caught her on a good day - after explaining that I just can't commit to paying extortionate (and indefinite) amounts at the moment, and explaining that I'm not prepared to expect my OH to shell out for it (!!), she agreed that they would pay for shoes and accessories. I also asked about hair and make-up on the day (which I hadn't even considered until someone mentioned it on this thread!) and she said that they would be footing the bill for that.

Sooo, quite happy with how it turned out really. It's still an awful lot of money for a frock, but feel much happier about it knowing that they're prepared to pay a contribution.

It must have been a good day mind, I even managed to sway her opinion on the colour of the dresses - she'd previously said she wanted brown to 'tone in' with the decor of the reception venue. Saw a picture of the reception venue and 'tone in' was actually 'blend in'!! Think it'll be sage green, or possibly gold/orange?

if you have to buy your dress - can you not get it from a 'copy' website - where it will be a fraction of the cost???

see link:

Dessy Bridesmaid Dress After Six Style 6577 :: Dessy :: Bridesmaid Dresses :: Wedding Dresses, Bridesmaid Gowns, Flowergirl Dresses, Mother Dresses, Prom Dresses and Accessories from Store Of Dress

xxx

I heard it's traditional for the bridesmaids to pay for their own dresses, but I would never have asked my friend to do that!

My wedding dress itself only cost me £100! Bridesmaid wore a ball gown type dress that I'd bought previously for OH's graduation ball. In fact, the only thing she paid for was a little dress for her 2y/o daughter so she could look pretty on the day as my flower girl - This was purely because she wanted to though, not because I asked her too.

I'd talk to this friend, she's being unreasonable with the prices - even if she does throw in a few extra bits.. If that were the case, I'd never be able to afford to be someone's bridesmaid! Lol.

The only time I have been a bridesmaid, the bride paid for the material to make the dress, and the bridesmaids made them or had them made.

When I got married, I made my own dress, and didn't have any bridesmaids, as the idea of bridesmaids didn't fit in with the sort of wedding I wanted.

It terrifies me what people are paying for weddings these days - but then I am very old! I went to a wedding recently where every guest was given a disposable camera to take pictures of the wedding - we then had to hand in the cameras and the bride and groom would have all the photos developed. What must that have cost (it was a big wedding)?

Because my bus was late I spent some time looking in a shop called Confetti, which sold wedding stuff, and was right next to the bus stop. I was really surprised by some of the stuff they were selling, and how much it all cost. (They did go bankrupt a few weeks later!)

OK, I know, I am old and out of touch!

I got mine from gininar bridal they have their own site plus sell thru ebay and you can email for a quote, you would never guesses they were copies

We picked the colour and dresses were made to our exact measurements so no alterations either x

Back