freezing meals . ?

Jess<3

Journey to 10 stone loss
Hello, Okay ive never made meals to freeze an dont know where to start...

my husband works shifts each week, early one then lates week after an im really struggling on his lates as hes not here, i dont know what to cook for just myself. an i get tempted alot more :sigh:

So when doing meals to freeze, do you just cook the meals like normal then put into containers to freeze? or do you part cook? Add extra sauce?
Then i know you'd defrost the meals first, do you heat up in frying pan or oven, or microwave?
Can you freeze all meals, inc meat etc?

sorry for all the questions but im completely new to meals to freeze.

Thanks!

I tend to cook the meal fully and then eat my portion for that evening whilst letting the rest cool. When it's cooled a bit I separate what I've made (usually chilli or bolognese) in to individual portions and place each portion in a sandwich bag. Much easier to handle and means that I don't have to defrost a massive amount when I next want that meal (cutting down on waste as I only cook for me). I also find it to not be as bulky in the freezer as it can fit in tiny nooks and crannies as the bag obviously can change shape!

When it comes to defrosting I leave it out of the freezer a while and then microwave the ass out of it! :)

I tend to cook the meal fully and then eat my portion for that evening whilst letting the rest cool. When it's cooled a bit I separate what I've made (usually chilli or bolognese) in to individual portions and place each portion in a sandwich bag. Much easier to handle and means that I don't have to defrost a massive amount when I next want that meal (cutting down on waste as I only cook for me). I also find it to not be as bulky in the freezer as it can fit in tiny nooks and crannies as the bag obviously can change shape!

When it comes to defrosting I leave it out of the freezer a while and then microwave the ass out of it! :)

Thanks... do you need extra sauces so once defrosted an heated i imagined you'd loose some of the sauces?... do you add the pasta an everything together when freezing? x

I just cook the pasta as and when I need it! If the sauce needs thickened or more I tend to add a tiny bit of passata and water but it's not often I need to do it as when I fill the freezer bags I make sure to scoop all the sauce from the pan and share it among them.

I've only ever frozen chilli, bolognese, tomato soup and pasta bake (whilst on sw) and they've all been fine! I intend to make stew once my portions of chilli run out so I'll let you know how that goes on the freezing front! Sorry I can't be of more help

no youve helped me so thank you :) x

I have also found that my slow cooker has been fab. You can do all sorts in there then just portion and freeze. I find that I don't have to add extra sauce as the ice crystals that form when you freeze it adds more moisture. I have so much in the freezer now that's it's a lucky dip - you never know what you're eating until it's defrosted :) Then I bang it in the microwave, making sure I cook it fully.

good luck!!

Tj

Great tip about using freezer bags instead of containers - I would have never thought of this doh!

thank you Combat_Teejay, im going to some through this week ready for when hubby is working lates week after :) be so much easier!!

I also freeze most things except meals with mushrooms and potatoes in them and thickened sauces.

When I cook pasta I cook the whole bag then lay it out on a tray, freeze then when it's frozen put it into a plastic bag - just microwave in a little water when you want it. That way I can add a little to 1 portion of soup when it is re-heating or take a large portion to have with pasta sauce
Same with rice - cook lots and flat freeze then break it up and put it in bag - re-heat in microwave.
Chop up left over herbs and freeze in an ice tray with a little water then you can just pop that into whatever.

I have also found that my slow cooker has been fab. You can do all sorts in there then just portion and freeze. I find that I don't have to add extra sauce as the ice crystals that form when you freeze it adds more moisture. I have so much in the freezer now that's it's a lucky dip - you never know what you're eating until it's defrosted :) Then I bang it in the microwave, making sure I cook it fully.

good luck!!

Tj

Buy a permanent marker pen and write on the bag then you don't get a pud instead of main course with your pasta.:D

I don't freeze pasta or potatoes, but things like bolognese, chilli, Fajitas can all be frozen and reheated, defrost fully and heat in the microwave or pan.
Try making a big vat of tomato sauce or pasta then add roasted veggies and pasta before serving.

Even if you only have a tiny bit of say bolognese left you can use it to top SW chips top with grated cheese.

Pasta - on its own like the twirly things - are brilliant if you cook them on their own and freeze - don't freeze them in a meal but are brilliant when you come home and think what shall I eat. Handful of them with whatever is in the cupboard makes a quick easy meal instead of buying those packet things.

Back