Fruit - as much as you like or not??

jaylou

Gold Member
Hi,
I'm new to WW and I have joined online.
Reading a few posts on here I have seen a couple of things about limiting fruit - some say after 5 pieces then it's counted, some say 2 bananas a day, some say it's not unlimited.

I though fruit was free? I can't find anything on the WW website to say it's not, and my tracker doesn't point it after 5 portions.

What's the general consensus? Is some of this old WW advice?

I just have as much as I want, but I don't tend to have more than about 6 portions a day. When I used to go to meetings last year my leader said not to go hard on the bananas.
I guess if you are eating loads of fruit and still loosing then all good. Maybe if the weight comes to a stop maybe look at how much you are having and cut it back.

I also wouldn't count it :) my leader says its all no points but she did say that bananas take so long to go through your system that if u have about 6 during the week that there is a good chance she is still weighing them at weigh in !! So I tend to stop eating them about 3 days before weigh in :) just in case !!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Good post missy! :D I am trying to eat a nice mix of fruit and veg, and the ones that are high in natural sugars (bananas and grapes) not having as many!!!!

Today im planning on oranges and strawbs as my fruits - and after that - 3 types of veggies with tea! although my soup is going to be one portion of veg i am sure!!! :D x

Ta EB! Just trying to sort the myth from the fact and all that, you know what it's like on SW with the same sort of thing!

I've had melon and blueberries so far but plan on having grapes and apple in my salad and then a banana so that's pretty much 5 by lunchtime.......

My leader told me to have about 5 portions a day of just fruit, she said its free but remember how many cals it has in it, which was a good point for me.
Good luck xx

It is free, No count. 0 points. I do also think yuou ahve to know your own body. I know I couldn't eat unlimited bananas and still lose weight. The same as on SW, I knew I couldn't eat unlimited pasta and potatos and lose weight. SOme seemed to be able to. I can't help but think that a banana is the same calories as a 2 finger kit kat. You can't eat unlimited amounts of them and lose weight. SOmetimes it's not a matter of sorting the myths from the facts, but remembring that losing weight is never a one size fits all. I could easily follow WW, and SW, to the absolute letter and steadily pile on the weight. It is a matter of working out what works for you!

It is free, No count. 0 points. I do also think yuou ahve to know your own body. I know I couldn't eat unlimited bananas and still lose weight. The same as on SW, I knew I couldn't eat unlimited pasta and potatos and lose weight. SOme seemed to be able to. I can't help but think that a banana is the same calories as a 2 finger kit kat. You can't eat unlimited amounts of them and lose weight. SOmetimes it's not a matter of sorting the myths from the facts, but remembring that losing weight is never a one size fits all. I could easily follow WW, and SW, to the absolute letter and steadily pile on the weight. It is a matter of working out what works for you!

I totally agree with you there, i love both the plans.
Its strange how different leaders tell there member differently.
Its a bit like my leader telling me she doesnt suggest i follow SF. (Weird me thinks :rolleyes::rolleyes: )

I've never thought about bananas like 2 finger kitkats but that's a good thought. I am trying to figure out this theory about fruit. I suppose it would be easy to eat 3 kitkats but not 3 bananas. I think the theory behind it is that you snack on stuff you can't really over indulge in. I try not to eat it endlessly just for the sake of it. The thing is that when I think I'm hungry, I can soon tell if it's real hunger or not by asking myself if I want fruit. If it was crisps I'd want to eat them anyway. I guess it's about getting into good habits for snacks.

I eat a reasonable about of fruit... salad in my sandwich/pitta/roll for lunch, a clementine and an apple/grapes/plum. I found that the week I had a banana every day I only lost 0.5lbs. So tried only having 1 or 2 last week and lost 2.5lbs. Might be irrelevant but the comment about how long it takes your body to digest bananas would make sense!! have definitely cut back!

As for a kit kat being the same calories as a banana... don't forget you would get different nutrients from a banana that you wouldn't get from chocolate..!! xx

Just spoke to my leader tonight fruit is free if used in moderation eg a full carton of grapes is actually 12PROPOINTS!
fruit is given a pro point value of 0 per portion. Eg a small cup full.
After that it is pointed.
It contains a lot of sugar and after the water content of the fruit has been extracted your body is left with the sugar to deal with.
Xx

Just spoke to my leader tonight fruit is free if used in moderation eg a full carton of grapes is actually 12PROPOINTS!
fruit is given a pro point value of 0 per portion. Eg a small cup full.
After that it is pointed.
It contains a lot of sugar and after the water content of the fruit has been extracted your body is left with the sugar to deal with.
Xx

How can this be right....... I just added 1kg grapes to my tracker online and it came up with 0 propoints. Same for all fruit I just tried.

Even more confused than I first thought now!

Me too but that is what she said. Check it with your leader next time and let me know Xx

She's just scared the whole group into not eating as much fruit so need to know if anyone can confirm this with their leaders would appreciate it Xx

my WW leader said you need to eat it in moderation, anything more than that you will need to count in afraid

This is because leaders are realising that actually, many struggle to lose weight on propoints. They have reduced the allowance, but still some struggle. Eating all your allowance, and a fair amount of fruit cold be a good reason. Some will beable to to lose weight doing this, others won't. In my 20s, it would ahve worked. In my 40s, it won't, despite doing more exercise. We are all differernt

sarah.w said:
my WW leader said you need to eat it in moderation, anything more than that you will need to count in afraid

Just had a response from WW on twitter, fruit DOES NOT need to be pointed at any volume, all they say is have a healthy diet and listen to your body signals when you fill up. Obviously kilos and kilos of fruit a day isn't advised lol!
I think perhaps the leaders are trying to educate ppl to observing portion control but appear to be scaring ppl instead - and its probably not their intention.

Sent from my HTC Desire using MiniMins

thanks, that fab.

We get a lot of this at SW too, different consultants say different things.

This clarifies, so thanks.

Back