funny, funny misused words.

There is a problem with midges in one of the parks where I work and the manager buys traps to reduce numbers. Unfortunately, he keeps sending in invoices for midget traps - brings great images to mind!!!

11 years old, staying at a friends house, I was given the honour of choosing the first yoghurt out of a six pack, I asked for erotic fruit

still cringing...

As a German living in the UK I have had more than my share of funny "mishaps" I can assure you. ;) However, on the other hand I cannot stop laughing (and shaking my head in disbelief) when people ask me where/when I learned German and if I speak German with my parents. Hmm, let me think...:rolleyes: While working in hospitality I met all kind of weird and wonderful people from all over the world. My favourite questions were (bless them) at what time Nessie was being fed and the opening times of Harry Potter's room in Glencoe (where some outside shots were filmed - note "outside").

As an american living in britain...I made quite a few.

I thought "randy" meant happy. I asked a year 7 student if they called him "randy andy". His name was andy. He looked at me funny and said no.

When I first moved there I asked the entire staff during our morning meeting if I could get a ride after school. Someone politely told me afterwards that I needed a "lift".

A fanny is a butt in the US. Accident waiting to happen.

In the US if someone is a knob its meant as door knob. Which basically means dumb. "Don't be such a door knob". Well I was under the impression that knob was the same. So yet again I told a year 10 boy to quit being such a knob because he was mouthing off to me.

I SOUND LIKE A TERRIBLE TEACHER!!

This is not so much a mis-spelling but a mis-interpretation. My bf and I were in halfords getting a new headlight bulb for the car. My bf pointed out that the instructions said 'always fit in pairs' and I said well that's ok cos there'll be two of us doing it! Never quite lived that one down...:eek:

This is not so much a mis-spelling but a mis-interpretation. My bf and I were in halfords getting a new headlight bulb for the car. My bf pointed out that the instructions said 'always fit in pairs' and I said well that's ok cos there'll be two of us doing it! Never quite lived that one down...:eek:

LOL !!!!!!!

Reminds me off, even though totally different, my ex SIL when we were all on holiday together in Cornwall on seeing a road sign for were we where heading for saying "Oh I didn't know it was called ST. AUSTELLIO , that is very Spanish.

In fact the sign said St. Austell 10.

The mother of an ex-boyfried who had to go on a surveillance exercise as part of his training to become a custom's officer said "Ooh that sounds very MFI". For those not familiar with the UK, she meant MI5, the government department monitoring spying activity. MFI is/was a furniture chain!

My uncle was a presenter on BBC Radio Wales and he did the link ups and the weather.

He declared to the entire country of Wales that tomorrow they should expect the weather to have 'Fost and Frog'........brilliant eh?

Love it - god rest his soul (taken too early by the evil C) x

i used to be a medical secretary for haematology department and i was typing dictation and i typed that a patient needed 'sensual therapy' instead of 'essential therapy'.

my friend's hubby went to the ice cream van and asked for 3 '69's' instead of '99's'.

i used to be a medical secretary for haematology department and i was typing dictation and i typed that a patient needed 'sensual therapy' instead of 'essential therapy'.

my friend's hubby went to the ice cream van and asked for 3 '69's' instead of '99's'.

LOL !!!! Yet another laugh out loud one.

I am loving this post!!!

I can't think of anything to add though, I'll have to have a think.

Thanks for posting everyone :)

The one thing that bugs me though is using pacific instead of specific - no! you didn't tell me pacifically - you're using the wrong blinking word!

Ooo, I'm glad I'm not the only person driven insane by pupils who say pacific instead of specific! :D

I had a pupil (who was being a bit naughty!) say to me today "You're not going to put me in insulation are you?". What she actually meant was isolation, lol! I had visions of this child being stuffed into the wall, lol! :D xx

My personal cringeworthy moment was in a sex education class in school. I think we were 14/15 at the time and the person giving the talk was asking us whether we knew what the word was for a man having the snip. Gobby here piped up with 'castration' instead of 'vasectomy'. I still cringe over that one! :eek: :eek: :eek:

The worst thing was I knew that vasectomy was the proper word, but obviously didn't engage my brain before opening my mouth :eek: My chemistry teacher was supervising us that lesson - she still hasn't let me forget it! It's a good job we get on well, lol! :) xx

I have a friend who likes to sing. A lot. To be fair, shes got a good voice, but a terrible inability to hear and understand lyrics.

Accordingly, until I corrected her after having heard her sing the whole song through while trying to prevent my overburdened ribs from ripping apart, she had spent quite some time under the mistaken idea that Abba had in fact brought out a song in the seventies called "Chicken Tikka".

It never fails to amaze me that it never occured to her that might be not quite what they were singing, or that Chicken Tikka might not have been around in 1970s Sweden for them to make up a song about.

Being a very longstanding Abba fan, I await the day they reunite and record the sequel - Chicken Pizza, or Chicken Fajita. Whichever they fancy most at the time, I suppose.

Back