Gained a pound? :S

KatieLouise

I started the SlimFast plan on Monday, with the plan of doing it for a couple of weeks as a kickstart, before returning to calorie-counting and general healthy-eating. I weighed myself this morning and have gained a pound, though, when I was expecting to lose! :( Don't know what I'm doing wrong. This is what my food diary looks like so far:

Monday 25th Oct
- 200g melon - 52cals
- 170g grapes - 102cals
- 2 bottled shakes - 440
- Spanish omlette (recipe from SF website) - 300 cals

Total: 894 calories

Tuesday 26th October
- Weight Watchers youghurt - 50cals
- Melon - 52cals
- 2 powder shakes - 460cals
- Pasta carbonara (from SF website) - 410cals

Total: 972 calories

Wednesday 27th October
- 1 bottled shake - 220cals
- 1 powder shake - 230cals
- WW yoghurt - 50cals
- half an Asda snack bar - 107
- 2 cups of tea - 14cals
- lamb stew with peas

Total: 1020 calories

Thursday 28th October
- 1 powder shakes - 230cals
- Asda Baked Bar - 103cals
- yoghurt slice - 153cals

(cheated a bit with the snacks today but they're not too bad and I'm not going to have a third)

- and tonight I'm having a salmon fillet with green lentils.

Been trying to do at least half an hour exercise per day too, either on the treadmill or mini trampoline thing :(

Last edited:
This is my first week too, and am sure some of the more knowledgable posters will assist you. But to the untrained eye you aren't actually eating enough. Dinner should be 600 calories.

Anyway, the thing that was drummed in to me abou this thing is to only weigh yourself once a week at the same time of that day.

anyway chin up!

Yeah, I started off by just sticking to the recipes on the Slimfast website but a lot aren't 600 calories, so I'm just gonna calorie-count a healthy evening meal every day now rather than trying to stick just to SlimFast recipes. My calorie intake has been cut down by so much, thought I'd have lost some, but yeah, I guess it's only been a couple of days I'll review the situation on Monday at the end of my first week. How're you finding it so far?

id say aswell ur not eating enough so ur body is hanging onto everything as its hungry

Yeah I agree. I had a week when I was determined to really go for it so I cut the snacks down to 2 per day and cut the meal down to 450 cals - saving an extra 250 cals per day plus exercising more than i normally do. That was the only week I stayed the same - so annoying!! I basically think I went below my threshold for what I need and my body was clinging to everything I gave it.

I'm now back up to roughly 1,350 cals a day and hope i'll see a good result on the scales this week.

Agree that you should try to resist to weigh yourself more than once a week as you fluctuate naturally within that period. I'm sure if you stick to it over the weekend you'll see a result on the scales on Monday.

Keep us updated!x

I agree you need to up your calorie intake to around 1200......
by eating so few calories , your body goes into starvation mode and holds onto fat
Another reason may be time of the month, before and during your period you may retain water
Dont give up , keep to the programme
As long as you do it right it works
working out a couple of times a week can burn 1000 cals too

Not too bad - day 4 and just tried the choc shake not bad considering. I'm still really motivated I just want to get this weight off. Enough is enough.

My theory about this is that if you increase your exercise, your muscles hold on to water - related to an inflammatory process - until they get used to the new exercise level.

While I don't doubt that there is some truth into the body reducing its metabolic rate in response to a low energy intake, I can't imagine it would be able to go so low that it can actually gain 1lb of fat on under 1000Kcal!

i weigh myself every day and i see a difference of up to 2lbs each time! you do need to give it a week to get your true weight loss for that time.
try and up your calories to 1200 a day as if i go below 1200 i stall and dont lose anything. i know it sounds odd but it does work.
muscle weighs more than fat so it could be you are gaining muscle from the work outs you are doing which is great in the long run.
stick with it and im sure you will see the weight start to fall off.
good luck :)

Thanks guys - just weighed myself (should have waited til tomorrow morning really, that's the official week deadline, but really wanted to see how it was going lol) am still the same weight!

Am going to up my calorie intake and give it another week, carry on with the plan and the exercising - it's got to work really as I'm eating so much less than I used to and I barely exercised before! lol So yeah just think I need to give it a bit longer. Was just expecting to lose a pound or two in the first week as it's SlimFAST and a lot less than I'm used to.

But I really like the shakes and finding it easy to stick to at the moment (despite all the junk food and takeaways coming and going at my house) so that's a good thing.

Back