Gall bladder and gallstones & SW

I had mine removed last October so over a year now. my gallbladder was full of stones but it took my doctor few years to even guess that something is not OK, went for a ultrasound for reflux and hernia and thank god the doctor that I had after diagnosed stones. I remember being in hospital in a emergency room and thought I am having a heart attack, could not breathe but was only 26 so nobody checked my gallstones. ever. they checked me for toxic shock but not gallstones!
anyway after a year on the waiting list got them done and feel good now. nobody said anything about a diet after I had them done and lady on a bed next to mine had beans for breakfast (she had the surgery late pm after me and was gone home pm) while I was in the hospital with temperature and vomiting, till this day I am sick after Paracetamol so I think they overdosed me :D
that was the starting point of my diet though :D

Texty_F said:
My sis and a friend at work have had theirs removed , the doctors told them its common in yo yo dieters. They both tell me that now and again depending on what they eat, the get a bought of the runs. For example friend went for a meal in a pub ordered a mixed grill (thinking low fat as grilled), she had half of a cumberland sausage and was ill all night with vomiting and diahorrea. So it appears that even though they remove the gallbladder in some cases you still need to be really careful with what you eat.

I keep hearing about this too from different people. I have this problem reguarly now from what the doctor has said for five years is IBS but im conserned that its goinv to be even worse after the op x i know for a fact im gonna have to be on a really strict diet after which im a little bit worried about as have not managed to stick to sw longer than a few weeks x praying i can do it this time once and for all x thanks for writing on hear :) x

gazter said:
I am currently lying in a hospital bed as a result of gallstones. One of the little sods got trapped in a duct, triggering off pancreatitis attack. Which in severe cases cause death.
It seems mine is not to severe, it has calmed down a bit, had a procedure yesterday afternoon they went down via my throat and sliced open a duct to let the stone pass, and make the hole a bit bigger for any future stones.

The surgeon told me that there is always a chance that this procedure itself can cause another attack of pancreatitis.

The only thing that touched the pain when it was at its worst was morphine. Boy that was good. It ran out Tuesday and the pains came back, I thought I was going to die, I had pins and needles, severe pain right through my body, I was perspiring and wailing loudly on the ward.

I am not a yo yo dieter, this is the very first diet I have ever tried...

Sorry to hear you were in hospital with such pain x hope you are on the mend now and at home xx

ceebeee said:
I've just spotted this thread. I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago after suffering the agonising pain of gallstones on and off for a few years. I was never spoken to about my diet. I was overweight when I had the pain & the operation but not as much as I am now! Still, having read up a lot on it since & reading that lots of others in my situation were told they must follow a low fat diet, I am surprised it was never even discussed with me, not once. Oh well, at least I'm making a conscious effort to sort out what I eat now!

Well done on starting, big first step :) x

Back