getting my actifry today

claire739 said:
my dad got it for me from the wholesalers! they had them for £97 but we knew someone who worked there and they gave us a discount so got it for £85 :) much better than the £149 argos wanted lol

If you're a costco member they're around the £100 mark too.

I use 1 tablespoon of oil in mine (6 syns) and that does a heap of chips for me and OH, so I assume that is a pile of chips for 3 syns.

But contrary to everyone else - I'm still quite narked at my actifry. %^&*&%^%%% expensive for what it is and no better than done in an oven. Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't have wasted £125 on mine. What a rip for something that that does what an fan oven does!

I'm on my second actifry and now have the family sized one. I find that whilst chips are better than doing them in the oven using the frylight option, they are FAR better with a little oil in the machine. I use about tablespoon - I use a measuring spoon - the one it comes with is bigger I think so be careful. This does a heap of chips and depending on how chunky I make them there is sometimes oil in the pan at the end. Between us and kids I reckon, and count, I have 2 syns.

I am in a hate Frylight phase at the moment though as it has destroyed many of my pans and trays. I have (and sometimes do) use frylight in the actifry and it has marked/welded itself to the central paddle but not affected the pan itself. Or, to be fair, it's function.

Roast come out lovely and fluffy and don't need parboiling - cut them to even sizes as I find the smaller ones break up amongst the bigger ones. Parsnips come out good to. Other than that I don't use it for much more than potatoes I cut in a variety of ways though! I find the slow cooker/oven to just as good job for the other suggested recipes so have never tried bolognese, stews etc.

I think the cost is worth but see why many don't - it keeps me to plan when oven cooked SW chips lead me to yearn for a fried/better version! :))

Hi,
I use an oil called Carotino, it (and don't laugh) is an healthy oil.
It resembles olive oil but the colour is orange.It has a shed load of vitamins in it, plus omega 3 and it is cholesterol free.

I took the plunge and brought one a couple of months ago - wouldn't be without it now... I couldn't make decent SW chips for love nor money, now I get perfect chips every time. I personally think they are best done with oil, 1 tbsp will cover 1kg of chips, but if syns are a bit tight they come out perfectly good when smothered in fry light.
Enjoy :)

aw_bless said:
Silly question, but how do they work? I've never really heard of them before. :confused:

I use topcashback.co.uk as there aren't any fees like with quidco. I've been using it for about a year now & had over £300 back :)

I'm really thinking if getting one of these but have been reading the reviews on amazon and am quite concerned at how many seem to blow up. Is this going to be an expensive one year wonder do you think? And I'm annoyed with myself for waiting so long as the price on amazon has now gone up. Grrrr

Back