Getting vouchers from the doctor

flipflop

Just follow the plan
My Mum told me that a couple of ladies at her SW class are having their fees paid for by vouchers from the GP.

I was wondering if anyone else here uses them and if there is some criteria the docs use, like over a certain weight. I have at least 7 stone to lose but have been put off going back to SW because of the cost.

I'm in the Bristol area if its done geographically.

What part of Bristol are you in? South Glos don't do them but Bristol council do so it depends what area you are in. Which group do you go to? I got the vouchers from the docs and all you really have to do is ask for them and they weight and measure you then give you the vouchers

I dont go to a group at the moment, would be in Knowle or Whitchurch when I do, so def not S Glos. Thanks Taz, sounds like I'll def be able to get them, after all I have asthma and 7 stone to lose! :)

I believe you have to either speak to the SW consultant who will tell you if your gp, does the referral scheme. If your gp doesn't she will give you the info for gp and go speak to them about joining. I asked my consultant on my mums behalf. Other wise you could just ask your gp direct if his does SW referrals. this link tells you a lot of info.

Slimming World's Synergies for Successful Weight Management: Slimming World on Referral.

so do you have to be overweight to get the referal, i was in the overweight bmi range when i first started and am now about bmi 24 ish, im starting to struggle with paying to go to group so do you think if i went and said that and told them i wanted to keep going to group they would refer me? obv im in healthy weight range now though, or do you have to be in obese range to be refered?

Hiya, it may be worth asking but I reckon you may have to be in the overweight range to be referred as it costs the GP practice money? Not sure though

Does anyone know if they run this scheme in South Essex?

think the scheme is where every a sw consultant has discussed with gp, so varies from one surgery to next, and thought they paid only for 1st 12 weeks. this is from website....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What is Slimming World on Referral[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slimming World on Referral is a partnership scheme between health professionals and Slimming World, providing overweight patients with effective, long-lasting weight loss support.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]GPs taking part in the scheme can refer patients to Slimming World groups, offering them free membership for 12 weeks. The cost is paid for the GP’s practice and subsidised by Slimming World.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you work in the health industry and would like to find out more about Slimming World on Referral please click here.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slimming World works directly with health practises and Primary Care Trusts to set up Slimming World on Referral schemes.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you would be interested being referred to Slimming World by your GP, or would like to let your local health clinic know about this ground-breaking scheme, you can [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]download an information sheet here[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Whether members join Slimming World after being referred from their GP or after having seen a poster, leaflet or even our TV advert, they can be assured of a warm and friendly welcome. You can find your nearest Slimming World group here. (opens in a new window)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The benefits of weight loss[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Losing just 10% of your body weight - and keeping it off – starts to bring amazing health benefits to people who are overweight. It can help: [/FONT]

• [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reduce raised blood pressure and cholesterol levels, reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke and can also lower need for medication. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Reduce the risk of developing non-insulin dependent diabetes. If you have diabetes, weight loss could improve your diabetes control and reduce the need for medication. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Reduce the strain on the joints, improve back and joint pain and improve mobility. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Improve asthma and can reduce the need for medication. Your lungs start to function better and breathlessness is reduced. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Improve mood and self-esteem. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]More about Slimming World[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Having plenty to eat and no forbidden foods is every slimmer's dream. It sounds too good to be true but that's what Slimming World's eating plan, Food Optimising, is all about. It's helped thousands of Slimming World members achieve their weight loss dreams - and keep the weight off for good.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Food Optimising is the easiest, most flexible and generous weight loss plan you’ll ever find. Together with Body Magic, the synergy created by Food Optimising and the right kind of moderate activity, Slimming World members are achieving fabulous results. Discover more in our archive of success stories. (opens in a new window)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
jaz_after.jpg
jaz_before.jpg

[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"My family has a fit and healthy dad"
[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Jaz Sangherea lost 3st 8lbs at Slimming World in Hayden Wick, Swindon. Contracts manager Jaz, 35, is 5ft 10ins and at his personal target weight of 13st 9lbs. "I used to feel breathless and uncomfortable; now I exercise regularly and have more energy than the kids!" he says.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Join Slimming World today and start the journey to a fitter, healthier slimmer new you. Find your nearest warm and friendly group here. (opens in a new window)[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you work in the health industry and would like to find out more about Slimming World on Referral please click here.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Slimming World works directly with health practises and Primary Care Trusts to set up Slimming World on Referral schemes.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If you would be interested being referred to Slimming World by your GP, or would like to let your local health clinic know about this ground-breaking scheme, you can [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]download an information sheet here[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. [/FONT]

Q: What is Slimming World on Referral?
A: Slimming World on Referral is a partnership scheme between health professionals and Slimming World, providing overweight patients with effective, long-lasting weight loss support.

GPs taking part in the scheme can refer patients to Slimming World groups, offering them free membership for 12 weeks. The cost is paid for the GP’s practice and subsidised by Slimming World.

For more information visit our Slimming World on Referral website here

I dont go to a group at the moment, would be in Knowle or Whitchurch when I do, so def not S Glos. Thanks Taz, sounds like I'll def be able to get them, after all I have asthma and 7 stone to lose! :)
You shouldn't have a problem getting them then, I couldn't get them when I was in S. Glos but when I moved over the border I had no trouble getting them. Also I am JUST overweight so with asthma as well you should definately get them. There seems to be a lot of us from Bristol on here!

I wish they did this round my way as I'm having to pay for myself and my daughter, and with food and energy prices going up so much I may have to give it up soon. I know I won't be able to stick to it without going to meetings.

Print off the information sheet and take it to your GP, thats what I'm going to do. There's no reason cost to the NHS so no worries there.

I have been at SW for 4 years and this is the first time I have got the vouchers. I won't get them again so it is only 12 weeks worth and I don't know where I will find the money when they run out!

It does say Taz, that you can go back to your doc and get another 12 weeks, at his discretion. Have you tried that?

Print off the information sheet and take it to your GP, thats what I'm going to do. There's no reason cost to the NHS so no worries there.
Not all PCT's support the scheme, that is why I couldn't get them when I was in South Glos but I can now that I am in Bristol.

I'm on a referral scheme to SW. Apparently it's a trial partnership scheme between the NHS, Wigan Leisure & Culture Trust and Slimming World - called "Lose Weight, Feel Great" - and if successful may be rolled out to other areas. To qualify you had to be over 30 BMI (I think) and a resident in Wigan. You receive 12 weeks free SW and exercise class (run by WLCT) held straight after the SW class. I think it's a brilliant scheme and it has really helped me to get my backside into gear and sort my weight (and health) out! My 12 weeks are now up so as from next week I will transfer over to being a regular SW member.

Although the NHS are footing the bill for the scheme, SW apparently convinced them that in the long run it can save them a hell of a lot more money by reducing the number of weight-related illnesses and operations in the future. I think they should roll this out nationally as it could help a lot of people.

So this is where you're all going to shout at me and dislike me, but I will duck when the toms start to fly :D

Surly if anyone wants to lose weight that much and even moreso if you're of ill health it's not down to money.. meaning getting these vouchers from the GPs.. why can't you pay for it yourself?

some people cant afford it, especially peole on a low income with families, i personally am paying for Diet Chef and am lucky enough to afford it but not all people can

Back