Going to stay with the rellies....

Eating__Glitter

Processed-Food-Aholic
Hiya,

My OH and I are off to stay with his brother & his fiancee in a couple of weeks and I'm little bit nervous about heading up.

Not being in charge of my food a couple of days is making me a bit anxious.

G (my OH) has suggested we offer to take them out one night to a place called Taybarns (all you can eat buffet place with carvery, salad bar etc) which should be ok and then maybe suggest we cook them a meal one night.

I'm worried that, if I'm not the one doing the cooking, I won't know what's in it etc and won't be able to judge syns HexA and HexB's etc.

Anybody have any suggestions how I can delicately approach the subject?

Good question. My opinion? Just be candid about it. Trying to work around it without really being upfront is going to be weird. I think the buffet idea is great. But if they like to cook, they might want to do that for you. If that's the case, be honest and tell them. Alternatively, make the best choices possible at each meal. We can't always shelter ourselves.

It's a toughie for sure. Could you ask the OH to speak to them about it? Just say that you're watching the waistline and if they could take that into account. You could take your Frylight with you and ask them to cook in that instead of oil??? I really don't know what I would do in this situation!!!

If I were your relatives, and you came to stay without mentioning your dietary requirements (whatever they were) I would be quite upset. I would not want to be providing food that did not suit my guests.

In fact, I would always ask anyone I had invited to my house if there was anything I should know about what they wanted to eat.

So just tell them. If they are nice people, they won't mind!

Wow, thanks guys! I spoke to my OH's brother (who is looking to lose weight himself actually) and mentioned it. He said that if I like I can give him a hand with cooking etc and they'd love it we cooked one night. So I think I've dodged a bullet now.

Thanks for all your lovely advice :)

Back