Good Books

Thanks for all your ideas, I shall look into them! I'm about to start reading a book called slammed by Coleen Hoover. Has some good reviews.

Love this thread...I love reading and I also read pretty much anything. I have a kindle rather than kobo and on Amazon there is a really good discussion where people put new free books on every day.

Depending on what you really enjoy some of the books I have read and enjoyed are: The I Heart series by Lindsay Kelk (chick lit), his dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman, jodi picoult all of her books are good, phillipa gregory has written a lot of books based on the tudor era which are really good (including the other bolyn girl which was made in to a film) and How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran, I loved that book and it was so funny.

I have to agree the Hunger Games was great, I also enjoyed Twilight, you should def read Me Before You as has been mentioned and The Girl With....trilogy is really good and once you get to the bits with Lisbeth you'll be able to get in to it much easier and will want to keep going...my biggest tip though is not to read the back of the books if you see them. I stupidly did this and really spoilt the end of book 2 and start of book 3! :( This is where e-readers come in best I'm not likely to read the back cover until the end of the book.

Sorry about the spelling of some books/author names as I am not 100% sure the correct spelling

Hunger Games were great as were the Twilight saga books. I love crime thrillers and horror so anything by Stephen King, Martina Cole, Simon Kernick. I love Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton, both have done very long series which will keep you going for well over a year.....I also ready the 50 shades trilogy and enjoyed them.

Happy reading!!

I also vote for Patricia Cornwell and Sue Grafton if you like forensic or private investogator books. Kathy Reichs, Karin Slaughter and Karen Rose are also some of my favourite authors...all of whom have quite long series of books :)

I also really enjoyed the Rebus series by Ian Rankin

I have recently read the hunger games trilogy. Was good, easy read too x

I've just treated myself to a Kindle and I was recommended the hunger games trilogy by my friends so I'm going to download it when I finish A Thousand Suns which I am reading at the moment and I'd definitely recommend it too

Ive tried reading the girl with the dragon tattoo, but I really struggled to get into it. I loved the film though so I may give it another chance

This has been recommended to me too, i haven't seen the film but i will give the books a go, I've just got a Kindle so I've a few books to read yet and i'm always looking for ideas

Did the author of girl dragon tattoo not die before finishing?

Need to download some Neil gaiman to try x

I've just downloaded a sample of Neverwhere to see if it's my kinda read

Love this thread...I love reading and I also read pretty much anything. I have a kindle rather than kobo and on Amazon there is a really good discussion where people put new free books on every day.

Depending on what you really enjoy some of the books I have read and enjoyed are: The I Heart series by Lindsay Kelk (chick lit), his dark materials trilogy by phillip pullman, jodi picoult all of her books are good, phillipa gregory has written a lot of books based on the tudor era which are really good (including the other bolyn girl which was made in to a film) and How to be a woman by Caitlin Moran, I loved that book and it was so funny.

I have to agree the Hunger Games was great, I also enjoyed Twilight, you should def read Me Before You as has been mentioned and The Girl With....trilogy is really good and once you get to the bits with Lisbeth you'll be able to get in to it much easier and will want to keep going...my biggest tip though is not to read the back of the books if you see them. I stupidly did this and really spoilt the end of book 2 and start of book 3! :( This is where e-readers come in best I'm not likely to read the back cover until the end of the book.

Sorry about the spelling of some books/author names as I am not 100% sure the correct spelling

I've read lots of jodi Picoult books and I love Phillipa Gregory, she transports me back to that era. I love the fact that you can download a sample of a book on an e-reader, this way you are reading the book and if you like it, 2 mins later you have it

I've read lots of jodi Picoult books and I love Phillipa Gregory, she transports me back to that era. I love the fact that you can download a sample of a book on an e-reader, this way you are reading the book and if you like it, 2 mins later you have it

That is exactly why I like Phillipa Gregory she really knows her stuff and it comes across, once I start I can never stop! Plus the Hunger Games trilogy is so good you are in for a real treat.

I love that about e-readers too and you can get so many books for free. If you are able to it's worth having a look on the daily freebies thread on amazon as I have had some really good free ones from there :)

ggmac said:
I've just downloaded a sample of Neverwhere to see if it's my kinda read

Cool, hope you enjoy!

I need to start reading more, need to get my head back in my book collection. My next purchase will be Iain Bank's latest, love his books. Whit and The Crow Road are especially great.

Cazran25 said:
Ooooh yes the other bolyn girl by Phillipa Gregory is very good!

I knew I recognised the name! The "virgin queen" is also very good :)

I would go with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, I really enjoyed that. I keep being recommended books by Jodi Picoult - never read any so can't say if they are good or not! Any books by Joanne Harris are worth a try. I have a Kindle and so far have only read the free books on it - these tend to be classics which I enjoy reading anyway!

There's also a thread here you may want to take a look at...hundreds of book suggestions by Minimins' many avid readers! :)

http://www.minimins.com/book-club/16093-whats-everyone-reading-moment.html

I'm reading the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton at the moment...a slightly more grown up version of Twilight (only on book 2 at the moment)

Thanks for this - I hadn't heard of this series but I am definitely noting it down for a look in the future.

There's also a thread here you may want to take a look at...hundreds of book suggestions by Minimins' many avid readers! :)

http://www.minimins.com/book-club/16093-whats-everyone-reading-moment.html

I'm reading the Anita Blake: Vampire Hunter series by Laurell K. Hamilton at the moment...a slightly more grown up version of Twilight (only on book 2 at the moment)

Ahhh thanks for that, I've never ventured outside the slimming world section so never seen it before!!

I can totally recommend "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It is really helping me to stick to my diet. Remember how as kids each day you lived in the here and now. Well this book says the past is gone and the future is unpredictable but what is totally guaranteed is the right here and right now so you should live savouring each little moment one by one. I am terrible for putting my life on hold until .... a multitude of things happens which probably never will! Applying it to my diet if I nourish and look after my body as it is right now rather than only when I am a size 8 (i.e. in about ten years time at this rate!) then I stick to the plan better and make each choice as it comes around. I don't think about how many hours until I eat again or how many years without biscuits and chocolates to reach my goal - everything is so much easier.

CAVEAT - I don't condone impulsive recklessness with a total disregard for the future - you have to be sensible but then but being mindful in the now means you wouldn't anyway but that's another conversation!

I can totally recommend "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. It is really helping me to stick to my diet. Remember how as kids each day you lived in the here and now. Well this book says the past is gone and the future is unpredictable but what is totally guaranteed is the right here and right now so you should live savouring each little moment one by one. I am terrible for putting my life on hold until .... a multitude of things happens which probably never will! Applying it to my diet if I nourish and look after my body as it is right now rather than only when I am a size 8 (i.e. in about ten years time at this rate!) then I stick to the plan better and make each choice as it comes around. I don't think about how many hours until I eat again or how many years without biscuits and chocolates to reach my goal - everything is so much easier.

CAVEAT - I don't condone impulsive recklessness with a total disregard for the future - you have to be sensible but then but being mindful in the now means you wouldn't anyway but that's another conversation!

Sounds very motivating

Back