goodbye pasta!!!!!!!!

franxx

hi all

I have for past few weeks been getting inspiration from you all. I started Atkins yesterday, after months of searching for the best way i could eat.
I am a 26 year old mum to 6 month old twins!!!!!!! (helped to concieve with fertility treatment due to pcos) that should keep me fit but it has made me fat..... I have always been a plump person. I am the only child to Italian parents and only grandchild to Italian grandparents who lived with parents. Italian women show a lot of love through cooking, sadly both grandmother and mother had only me to cook for and being chunky was the result. I was 14 stone when i got married 3 years ago, 15 stone when i got pregnant, 20 stone when i had Dylan and Mali, 22st13lbs on Mondaymorning!!!!!!!!!! enough is enough. I am a nurse and start back to work in a few weeks after maternity leave, the last time i saw a lot of people i work with i was 22 weeks pregnant and 17 stone, i look so so different now. i am so ashamed to go back..... My husband is a g.p. i know he is very worried about my health and tries to make gentle comments about losing weight, but he is still a man who can be thoughtless at times, i have had just eat less for gods sake thrown at me, and as i am still very sensitive with baby hormones i am not handling it well........god i sound miserable....

So yesterday is the start of a new day. My husband is not happy i have picked atkins. My parents and grandparents (who are normal weight ) think its an insane way to eat. I have read re read and re re read and to me it makes perfect sense with my insulin resistance so i aim to prove them all wrong........Mind my grandmother come up yesterday with fresh pasta and a walnut sauce and said i was not fat but womanly haha i do love her and after husband scoffing most of the pasta he may be putting on a stone or two x

Yesterday
B egg and 2 bacon
L chicken bacon green salad
D Chicken breast broccoli cauliflower and homemade cheese sauce
W 4 liters
E walk to beach with babies (need something more structured but very embarrassed )

Good day so far today. I live in West Wales and house so close to beach. Woke up at 6 as Mali decided she was starving and when that girl is hungry the world knows about it. so after seeing to her and Dylan i had a breakfast of poached eggs and a black farmers sausage. the shopping list on the sticky thread is genius its basically what i got when shopping. Decided to take babies for walk to see grandparents (only a mile away) as soon as i got there was offered food and coffee. Have again politely explained i am on a diet much to eye rolling amusement, i think they love me so much they see me with skinny specs on x
for lunch i am having tuna salad. and for Dinner think maybe lamb with spinach and garlic and rosemary....... a silly question but a few glasses of red wine a night are the norm can i still drink or should i not have any, have not had since pregnant so no massive prob, but a few times a week with meals would be nice???

Afternoon Fran and welcome!!!

In the first couple of weeks just stick to clean and green, no alcohol..!

Then dry whites or clear spirits are a good low carb option, I generally drink dry whites with no adverse effect....!

I loved your introduction, it certainly made me laugh!

In relation to your hubby and parents going mad with the Atkins choice, may I suggest buying Gary Taubes book 'Why we get fat and what to do about it' a totally brilliant read as it explains the science around Ketosis (which your husband should be familiar with) and why it's one of the best ways to eat.

Also you don't have to drop out on lots of Italian dishes, there are low carb alternatives such as pasta made from almond flour, low carb megastore sell low carb pastas too.. But that's better saved for the OWL phase!

Stuck with it, you really will see a massive difference, just look to people on here such as Jim, Di, Quack et al, they have lost impressive amounts!!! This way of eating really does work and you can't even call it a diet!

Good luck sweet xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

hi triage 999
thanks for welcome x My parents would never change their way of thinking, they keep bragging that the meditation diet is one of the healthiest!!!!! and for them it is, they eat little and often and mainly fresh vegetables, meat and fish (i have pointed out this sounds like Atkins) if i ate that way only i am am sure i would be in much better shape literally. I have had way to much of the rich stuff i am a carb overloader........Pizza,pasta and anything sweet.....husband is as i have pointed out forming opinions before knowing facts (he can be an opinionated as he thinks being a Doctor gives him superior knowledge. i have worked with to many Doctors to know this is always not the case). I have had my bloods done (thankfully my g.p. has a lot more common sense) and with my Docs blessing i am good to go.
I have started reading your diary so so impressed you are at goal well done !!!!!!! i am getting lots of ideas so thankyou xxxxx and will be checking out the folk you have mentioned. i hope you dont mind questions as even though i have read lots i am sure there is massive amounts i do not know.... When do you normally go into ketosis how long with only eating 20g carbs does it take ????

Don't worry about the questions, Ketosis can vary from as little as 2 days or as long as 7....generally it usually occurs around day 3/4, I'm currently doing slim and save before going back to Atkins in 4 weeks after getting back off holiday which is a VLCD, Very Low Calorie Diet, it is extreme but I know it works for getting rid of my weight quickly.

I started Saturday and today the hunger has finally gone, so day four for me this time, if you have lots of glycogen stores though from a high carb diet it may take a little longer.

You'll know it's working if your a little headachey, sometimes mild flu symptoms called Atkins Flu, or a strange metallic taste in your mouth that smells like acetone on your breath to others...!

The first week is generally the hardest, just get lots of water in along with leafy greens and proteins along with fats! Cook in butter, coconut oil, which is brilliant or have full fat mayo etc on the side, oh and double cream in your coffee!!

Hunger is seriously a thing of the past on Atkins!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hi Fran,

I've been doing Atkins 4 weeks now and was a similar starting weight to yourself. I've lost 9lb, 5lb, STS (which i was pleased about as i went to a ball and ate and drank off plan) and have lost another 3lb on my weigh in this morning.
I'm finding it quite easy. I make oopsie rolls for the mornings I'm working which have helped. I have stopped drinking diet coke and only drink water throughout day, have a coffee morn & night. I am missing something sweet at the moment (altho it is my TOTM shortly) so am thinking of mixing some sugar free jelly with whipped cream to make a mousse, which should help. I often cook up some chicken thighs and keep in the fridge for snacking.
Any questions just ask, everybody is so fiendly and this forum is just so amazing and informative.

Anyway welcome and good luck

Nicky
x

Hey hon,

Firstly, Atkins is the ideal diet for people with PCOS. Having had this and some severe hormonal imbalances since I first started puberty I've had Atkins specifically recommended by two endos and one gastro. My gp is fab and does his research and now recommends Atkins or low carb to PCOS patients also. If you can get hubby to read up a bit you might be doing his patients a favor, too ;)

Re: alcohol - if you can go without it, do go without it. If you can't, make it as rare an occasion as you can. Alcohol is troublesome for two reasons : firstly it is burned by the body as a preferable fuel to fat so if you drink regularly you may stall as the body won't need to rely on burning off your fat stores - and secondly drinking tends to lower resistance to the carby foods! Obvs no one is a saint but try to minimize the alcohol if you possibly can - and none at all for the first couple of weeks minimum.

I haven't seen pasta made with almond flour but be very wary of 'low carb' pasta - I know you didn't mention it but just saying as it has been mentioned on this thread. Dream fields is the big low carb pasta producer and their stuff has been medically proven to be a con - it produces the same insulin response as normal pasta.

Tell you what makes a yummy pasta replacement though: courgette. I use a vegetable spiral user to make ribbons with it but you can just cut it up thin, cook it and put your cheesy or meaty sauce on it - really really good. If you check out moonlights meals in the recipes section I've put some details and pics there. I also found a good low carb tomato sauce - tomato in general has to be moderated a bit on induction and I missed it.

I come from a massive Italian family and was raised on my grandmas spaghetti, but any Italian worth their salt will have good cheese and cured meats in the fridge I'm sure - these are a great option to reach for when visiting. Fish, meat and veg, as you say, are the basis of the Mediterranean diet - along with cheese, butter and lots of oil. Atkins by another name ;)

I'm sure you'll get on fine with the diet. Cook hubby some fish with buttered greens and asparagus and then ask him what's unhealthy about it!

Hiya all

Thanks for taking the time and giving all the advice.... I have decided to go cold turkey with the pasta, cant imagine any low carb stuff doing it for me, use to fresh daily made!!!!! but i am loving the courgette idea. Now just to source a veg spiral thingy ? Also a low carb tomato sauce would be amazing i did get some gia tom puree but afraid to use just yet, i may wait until a few weeks.

moonlight I informed husband about the low carb advice you have had his reply was low carb is not Atkins!!!! he is so frustrating at times. typical pig headed welsh man. i have asked him to read the book before he goes on any further. I know i make him out to be mean but he is adorable really.....I should have said doing low carb i think he would have not minded so much.

I think the best way to convince him is to stick at it and prove him wrong!! in a bizarre way he is making me more determined.

a question lemon juice freshly squeezed is that aloud???? i am sure its not but also am convinced it is (baby brain) xxxx

A little lemon juice as a seasoning is allowed. Not too much.

And Atkins is low carb and low carb is Atkins. I was specifically recommended Atkins. There are other low carb diets - paleo, south beach etc and all have their merits but Atkins is the easiest I've found. I think it just has a bad rep as when it first came out people were saying all you could eat was bacon and eggs. You can do Atkins as a vegetarian and I regularly have veggie meals - Atkins is about non-processed, fresh whole food meat and veg. Can't get healthier than that.

Think I may make my own burgers tonight.....going to put some blue cheese in the middle. And use a lettuce leafs as the bun. X x may even pop a slice of bacon on it x also may try the celeriac chips x I was wanting to pop the lemon juice in hot water first thing in the morning.

Also have heard cinnamon is good for insulin resistance, just can't think of a way to have any ideas?? May just get the tablets x

Buongiorno Fran! Lovely to have you here xxx

Your comments about your OH made me laugh - but we've all come across the same thing, people do like to go all Daily Mail and jump to conclusions before understanding Atkins. I just say I'm eating low carb these days, can't be bothered getting into a big debate about Dr Atkins dying of a heart attack caused by all the fat he ate (which is wrong on all counts!).

I'm the same size as you, more or less, and am restarting on induction on Friday - so we can do this together :)

I have a veg spirali - it is the best thing! You can get them on Amazon and eBay - here's the cheapest one Lurch 10302 Johann Lafer Spiral Cutter: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

And this is my one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lurch-210215-Spiralo/dp/B002USUAH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347378496&sr=8-1

Susie

Think I may make my own burgers tonight.....going to put some blue cheese in the middle. And use a lettuce leafs as the bun. X x may even pop a slice of bacon on it x also may try the celeriac chips x I was wanting to pop the lemon juice in hot water first thing in the morning.

Also have heard cinnamon is good for insulin resistance, just can't think of a way to have any ideas?? May just get the tablets x

Sorry to jump in Susie but what did Dr Atkins actually die of? I know it was a heart attach but did he stop following his own advice in the end? x

He slipped on ice and banged his head, then got swelling round the brain and passed away from that.

An anti Atkins doctor requested his medical charts, which shouldn't have been released - but were! The records showed that Atkins had contracted cardiomyopathy from a viral infection in 2000 but despite it saying quite clearly that it wasn't anything to do with his diet or lifestyle, the anti low carb camp lied and said it was.

Incidentally, when he died, Atkins' arteries were completely clear - just show you how powerful the lobby groups can be, because everyone thinks it was the diet that killed him!

ladyfelsham said:
Buongiorno Fran! Lovely to have you here xxx

Your comments about your OH made me laugh - but we've all come across the same thing, people do like to go all Daily Mail and jump to conclusions before understanding Atkins. I just say I'm eating low carb these days, can't be bothered getting into a big debate about Dr Atkins dying of a heart attack caused by all the fat he ate (which is wrong on all counts!).

I'm the same size as you, more or less, and am restarting on induction on Friday - so we can do this together :)

I have a veg spirali - it is the best thing! You can get them on Amazon and eBay - here's the cheapest one Lurch 10302 Johann Lafer Spiral Cutter: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

And this is my one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lurch-210215-Spiralo/dp/B002USUAH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347378496&sr=8-1

Susie
parli Italiano ladyfelsham ???? Xxx vegetable cutter ordered thank you Lady. Feeling exhausted like never felt before. Even the twins have never reduced me to this before.....OH is see the diet is not good, so I said a little white lie and said Mali kept me up all night teething !!!! He now feels so guilty he did not hear/help with night time problem he has ordered me to put feet up while he organises bedtime x

LOL I just came back from the Italian Riviera :)

The tiredness is actually a good sign, it means your body is starting to flush out the carbs! It may develop into Atkins flu, where you may feel a bit yuck for a couple of days but it will pass, I promise. Drink lots of water to help it along.

And I love the little fib - it's all in a good cause :D I agree with whoever saidit above, get a copy of Gary Taubes and get your OH to read it - all good scientific reasons why low carb is the best way of eating, instead of processed foods and empty carbs!

ladyfelsham said:
LOL I just came back from the Italian Riviera :)

The tiredness is actually a good sign, it means your body is starting to flush out the carbs! It may develop into Atkins flu, where you may feel a bit yuck for a couple of days but it will pass, I promise. Drink lots of water to help it along.

And I love the little fib - it's all in a good cause :D I agree with whoever saidit above, get a copy of Gary Taubes and get your OH to read it - all good scientific reasons why low carb is the best way of eating, instead of processed foods and empty carbs!

Is it called the diet delusion ?????? Will download now some reading while being made to relax. OH has just made me the home made burger and Atkins Friendly!!!!! Knowing him he has read and looked for recent research, maybe even spoken to medic friends with a little more knowledge than he has on subject....I know him to well.

Oh and lady I thinks it's marvoulus that we should team up!!!!!

Hi Fran and welcome!

Really feel for you about the nay sayers - actually i was cynical but desperate when i started! Now i've both experienced the journey and read up (and i will also recommend taubes "why we get fat") i am completely sold. Since i have way passed any expectations i set on losing weight, feel (and apparently look;) ) ten years younger and have so much energy - i tend to get more comments about how can you live without pasta rather than daring to say it doesnt work or isnt healthy lol. I also have started converting people - one at a time!

Remember if you feel rough as you get carb withdrawal that having carbs wont help - we dont tell people giving up fags to have another one as they withdraw! I do recommend water and hot chicken stock if you are feeling down (check the label as always)

Hang in there - low carb really is an amazing lifestyle and we are here to help on the journey x

Back