Got A Cold.... unusual weight Loss

RealMissP

hi All

just wanted to check in to see if anyone else has experienced high weight loss when they have a cold? Ive had a cold for around a week - and since friday ive lost 5 and 3/4 pounds. This doesnt seem normal to me and gets me worried that there is something else wrong.

just looking for a bit of assurance that other people find this as well.... please! :(

RealMissP said:
hi All

just wanted to check in to see if anyone else has experienced high weight loss when they have a cold? Ive had a cold for around a week - and since friday ive lost 5 and 3/4 pounds. This doesnt seem normal to me and gets me worried that there is something else wrong.

just looking for a bit of assurance that other people find this as well.... please! :(

I have been doing SW for about 7 months and whenever I am ill I see massive losses! My C is always shocked and says she was the opposite and always gained! Guess we're just lucky :) every cloud... Feel better soon x

maybe your burning calories with al the coughing and sneezing. Ive had a bad cold for about 6 days managed to lose 2 lbs on thursday and have no idea how as wasnt eating much as was ill. I'm sure its just the cold .

Your body is probably burning energy to fight the infection. A lot of people comfort eat when they're ill, so probably compensate with the loss!

If you have a fever, then the rise in temperature means you burn more calories.Dieticians take this into account when prescribing nutrition needs in hospital.

Same thing has happened to me - a couple of 5lb losses when I've had a bad cold. I think it is because I was drinking more as well. However, I've also had a bad cold and lost just 1lb.

Now for the reassurance....

You are just as 'normal' as all of us crazy lot!!!!!

Hope that helped!! :D :D

I hope you feel better soon. My cold is just starting and I feel pretty awful... I hope I get a five pound loss - that would make me feel a bit happier! Sniff sniff!! x

I've had a cold/cough/throat infection for 2 weeks now, last thurs at WI I lost 4.5lbs, was well shocked as not been eating much so thought my body would have gone into starvation mode but as others have said think i'd been drinking more and had a temperature so must have been burning more off :)

I never get ill! Bl**dy typical LOL :p

Up until now, if I have been coming down with something I have seen a slight gain or sts which have been disappointing till I get ill and make the connection.

But this flu I have at the moment is having the opposite effect - I was bang on target last time I went to WI and my home scales are showing me as -2.5 on that at the moment. I'm sure it will all go back the way it was when I feel better, but it's nice to see, even temporarily!!

Back