Gp doesnt approve

nutty me

onwards and downwards
Hi,

I would like some feedback if possible.
Over the past few years Ive suffered with depression and asthma,Im a comfort eater and with steriods have found my weight to have increased to the heaviest Ive ever been. I am in a catch 22. I did ask my Gp about lighter life but she doesnt agree with it. I feel im at a stage I really want to do this. So the question is - if my GP wont sign the forms and Im on prescription medication is there any way I can start LL ? I think the answer is probably no - but any ideas or advise greatly received.

Nutty

Did your GP give a specific reason why she doesn't agree with you going on LL? Was it her own personal opinion or due to the medication you are on?

If it is just down to her own prejudices about the diet and not due to medical complications can you not just get another GP to assess your records and sign the form?

My doctor wasn't a fan of LL but another one at the surgery who had seen other patients have success was willing to sign my form after going through all my notes - I had to pay £30 and wait a fortnight for this to be done but at least it meant I could start :D

My llc won't allow someone who is on medication to go to another gp to get the form signed. I think this is very responsible practice because some people on certain meds might make things worse by doing ll and only your own gp knows your medical history best. It also shows that llc is not out to get money. I think it would be worth asking llc to give your gp a call and to run through what lighterlife is about and if your doctor still has medical grounds not to let you start then maybe lighterlife is not suitable for you.

when i was due to start my llc told us that they had a dr and if our reg dr wouldnt sign that theyre dr would assess us and sign if we were applicable for £45 and after completing the programme we'd get £20 returned. ask your llc. good luck xx

Hi,

I would like some feedback if possible.
Over the past few years Ive suffered with depression and asthma,Im a comfort eater and with steriods have found my weight to have increased to the heaviest Ive ever been. I am in a catch 22. I did ask my Gp about lighter life but she doesnt agree with it. I feel im at a stage I really want to do this. So the question is - if my GP wont sign the forms and Im on prescription medication is there any way I can start LL ? I think the answer is probably no - but any ideas or advise greatly received.

Nutty
Hi there, i've also a good number of health problems and my GP was only more than happy for me to do the Total Food Replacement on Lipotrim through my Pharmacist.
Only a suggestion but maybe you should book another appointment with your GP and speak to him/ her if to no avail then request a 2nd opinion either with another GP at that practice and/ or a hospital referral to see the dietician.
With Lipotrim it was only ever offered through a GP or Hospital Dietician. But now it is extended to be carried out through Pharmacist and they would carry out all medical checks (the good ones that is as i have heard there have been a tiny percentage of slacking pharmacists).
I myself, have gone through my Pharmacist who have been absolutely brilliant and i've also seen my GP so than can also monitor me aswell as liaise with the Pharmacist.

I hope this helps you as much as it has helped me on the road to getting my life back on track to what it should be (I'm only on day 3) and hope to get there by spring/ summer 2011.

Good Luck and hope to hear back from you soon.

Hi NuttyMe,

I was in a similair situation. My GP didn't want to sign it, and wanted to charge me £30 to do it, a £10 processing fee and I would have had to wait 2 weeks, meaning I would have missed the cut off date for my LL group and would have had to wait ages for a new group to start.

I phoned my LLC and she said that Superdrug pharmacists are licensed to sign the forms. I know your on mediciation so i'm not sure if it'll be quite as straightforward, but if could be an option for you the Superdrug Lighter Life number is 08456 789 886, if you phone them they can give you more info and book you in for an appointment with your nearest Superdrug.

Good luck and hope you get the form signed somehow! :)
xxxx

Hi Nuttyme

I got my practise nurse to sign the form, she was happy to do so long as I go for my blood pressure checks with her so she can keep an eye on it for me.

Check to make sure that it wont be harmful for you with your medication and then if there is no other reason than a personal opinion not to sign your form I think you have a good reason to ask your practise nurse or another gp at your surgery.

Good luck. x

Hi everyone,

thank you for all your feedback.
Gonna make an appt for the gp again.
I spoke to the LLC when making an appointment. I have to say she was absolutely brilliant and listened to me.
So watch this space hopefully my Gp will reconsider, although I now know I have other choices.
Will continue to watch your progresses.

Nutty x

Back