The truth about coconut

tipperary

Gold Member
Can anyone tell me the story with coconut please.

Not coconut oil pulling or what it is supposed to cure but the simple truth about the fat it contains.
So like many i have high cholesterol, im on medication for it but dont really know what it is i believe about it. My doctor told me to cut out saturated fats. He said these were in animal fats.
But then i read that any fat that is solid at room temp is a saturated fat, and this includes coconut fat. So further investigstion tells me it is saturated fat but not cholesterol producing. So im a happy bunny and am back adding coconut milk to my soups and curries. Then darling husband comes back from hospital yesterday with a leaflet on cholesterol saying to stay away from coconut fat. As its a hospital leaflet id like to believe it but it seems to conflict with other info ive read..any thoughts ????

From what I understand the saturated fat content is higher than vegetable oil. That is why I was advised against using it a couple of years ago by my consultant.
Like with a lot of things there hasn't been enough research done to prove what is right or wrong.
I don't use coconut milk now neither because of the fat content..

Back