Granola...

Cherry_Pie

Hey Everyone,

Been away from minimins for a while dealing with family stress, but now I'm BACK! ... And wanting to kick those pesky final 7lbs to get to my goal :)

I recently went on a lovely weekend break, where the B&B served granola, which was YUMMY! Is it a good option for calorie counting? I get the impression it's quite high in cals, but it seems to have this "healthy" image about it - is that true? Is it really filling or something, so the high calorie amount is worth it?

I already eat museli/porridge, but I like the crunchiness of granola.

How strange, I was just saying the same about granola!

I think, because its quite heavy, you don't get a lot for your calories, but I definitely class it as superior to other breakfast cereals! It is yummy...

I think granola is really bad for you because it's oats and quite sweet. I think 50 grams is about 300 cals depending on the brand. I agree that it's delicious though.

I make my own fantastic granola and have it with activia pouring yoghurt. It contains nuts and raisans and comes it at around 280 cals for a complete and filling brekky. The recipe is from the channel 4 series cook yourself thin. :)

Crunchy Granola

200g jumbo oats
30g mixed seeds
30g chopped nuts (I buy whole mixed nuts and chop myself)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g runny honey
60g dried fruit

Preheat oven to 150 degrees
Stir together oats, seeds and nuts in a large bowl.
Mix the oil, honey and vanilla together in a jug. Pour honey mix over oats and mix until all coated in the honey and oil.
Spread mixture over a large shhet cooking try.
Bake for 10 to 15 mins then take out and mix dried fruit in.
Bake for a further 15 mins.
Remove from oven and leave to cool completley.
It will go hard and crunchy when cooling.
Stores for up to a month in an airtight container.

Makes approx 450g
183 cals per 50g serving.
I have it with Strawberry activia pouring youghurt. 130g is 77 cals.
260 cals altogether. Tasty and filling!! :)

Might have to try that, sounds really good & at least you know exactly what's in at as opposed to packaged cereals.

Might add a bit cinnamon - had a nice cinnamon granola with yoghurt & fruit from marks and spencers.

Back