Group not starting until Jan - what to do/how to stay motivated?

Went to the LL info meeting today, liked the counsellor and potential groupees (2 others)...then she said she wouldn't start a group until January and then only if sufficient numbers.
I'm also worried because one of the potential exclusions is "major depressive disorder" - I was on anti-depressants for 18months and had counselling and am still signed off work but not on meds (I believe the depression to be reactive to an abusive husband), so the GP might not support my wish to do the LL programme. Or indeed might not support any vlcd/meal replacement/wls even though my bmi is 46.
Shall I try something else in the meantime? I'm so scared that I'll put on even more weight in the meantime, and I can hear the chocolate siren calling as I type!

Last edited:
Hiya, glad you liked the info session. I understand why the group won't start until January. Any VLCD is hard to do at the best of times but this close to the Xmas season it will be very tough indeed. You're more likely to succeed if you start in January. I started at the end of January in 2006 and lost 6 stone. Unfortunately, I have put half of it back on because I did LL in Edinburgh and there wasn't a group here then so I couldn't do management and went a bit mad!

I can't say whether your doc will agree to signing the papers or not, but all I can say is that I have a history of depression and anti ds and was still allowed to follow the programme. I think losing weight and gaining control is in fact a positive thing that will help with your self esteem (especially if you've had to deal with an abusive partner) and therefore the doc should be happy you are doing something to help yourself.

I know you are probably eager to get started (I know how impatient I was) but in the meantime can you just try and eat healthily and not stress about it? In the run up to starting I was cooking good meals, although I did have a "last supper" the night before :D

Good luck with what you decide, and whatever it is, you'll find masses of support here :D:D:D

Hi westiegirl,
Thanks for your wise words; having slept on it I realise you are quite right about starting in the New Year, and working towards it until then. I've found a great "pretox" in an old magazine. Basically you eliminate one bad thing per week over 6 weeks - alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, dairy, wheat, sugar - so that you can start a new plan without the withdrawal symptoms of giving up everything at once. It sounds doable I think, so here I am on Day 1 of a foreseeable future without red wine - aaaarghs!

Thank you also for your support re depression. I've taken the form to the GP, and am waiting for a phonecall. But you are absolutely right that depression and self-esteem will improve with weight loss so they ought to support it!

Hi westiegirl,
Thanks for your wise words; having slept on it I realise you are quite right about starting in the New Year, and working towards it until then. I've found a great "pretox" in an old magazine. Basically you eliminate one bad thing per week over 6 weeks - alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, dairy, wheat, sugar - so that you can start a new plan without the withdrawal symptoms of giving up everything at once. It sounds doable I think, so here I am on Day 1 of a foreseeable future without red wine - aaaarghs!

Thank you also for your support re depression. I've taken the form to the GP, and am waiting for a phonecall. But you are absolutely right that depression and self-esteem will improve with weight loss so they ought to support it!

No problem, glad I could help.

The red wine thing is only temporary and will be so worth the results! Mind you alcohol would probably be the last thing I'd eliminate :eek:

Hope you get the call from the Docs soon :D

Hmm, I admit it was tempting to leave wine till last, but it''s my biggest downfall and leads to other bad behaviour lol so it would be great to conquer it. The next bottle of wine I open will be champagne when I've reached my goal!

Back