Group or Online Membership?

Hi everyone,

First time I've posted on here! I am planning on joining Slimming World ASAP but in two minds about whether to join a slimming world group or become an online member. I first joined slimming world in 2002 in a group whilst at university. I managed to lose seven stone and keep it off for 9 years, however after a couple of stressful years, I've put on 3 stone and want to turn it around before it gets worse!

For the past year, I've tried lots of different quick fixes which have led me to put on the last stone extremely quickly so I've have decided to come back to what I know. With a full time job, I am much busier than I was in 2002 and need to fit the gym in (I don't tend to lose weight with diet alone) as well.

So I was just wondering if anyone has tried both or has had more success with one over the other?

Thank you for your time, S x

Hi
I tried SW online but didn't do very well because although I was paying for the service, I didn't feel as 'accountable' as I did when I joined a group, and kept pithering about. When i finally joined a group it was knowing that I had to step on some scales every week, and face up to my weight in front of real life people, that made me knuckle down and stick to plan!

I'm an online member because there are no groups within an hours drive for me. Its good, lots of recipes and interesting, supportive and motivating articles, but there is no real person you can talk to and ask questions. They are good at replying back and the articles are good or advice and tips, but I think you need real people who are doing it along with you. I find this forum a good substitute, but tbh if there were a group available to me I would be there like a shot.

Best of luck to you, and well done on getting a hold on it now!!!

I'm on online member and find it works really well. I don't go to group just because the group near me is on a evening when I'm working. I decided to sign up online pay for a three month membership and see how I got on, I actually did well and last month signed up for a further three month block. I find the advice on here invaluable and the sw site is also really good. I do have friends hat are also following ww and sw and we tell each other each week how we have got on, also everyone in work knows I'm on sw and each week their are all asking how I got on with my weigh in, so I spouse knowing that all and sundry knows and will ask about my weight loss keeps me on track, I don't want to sit in the staff room and announce I have put on lol!,

everone is different though and some purple need to weigh in at a group in order to stay focused, I. The past when I did ww I always thought I needed this discipline too so have surprised myself that I have managed to do this without group. Try it and see, you could always change to a group if you find you are struggling

If you can get to group I'd definitely recommend it. You get everything you get online plus more. P

Personally I would get lazy if I did it only online, I need that weekly weigh in to keep me focused and to be held 'accountable' like another poster said. It also helps to talk face to face if you genuinely don't know why you gained or maintained etc and so many people have suggestions you never thought of.

The forum does that, and the fb page too, but you don't get the 'deadline' of the weekly weigh in any other way but the group. The support is better on here and on fb but the 'pressure' of that weekly weigh in isn't, which I need.

Im following the plan online as I work shifts and can't get to a group, I think I'd choose a group if I could make one :)
If you are planning to do it online I've found this forum fantastic for help and advice you'd normally get in group x

I've done both myself and I'm not at a group as I found with doing it online of I had a few bad days eating wise I would say to myself ooh I just won't weigh in this week and I weigh next week instead! By doing this I feel totally off the rails.
I find group so much more motivating and also I have to weigh weekly which lets me know where I am! And I'm also less Likely to go off plan as I know I will have to face the scales in a few days xx

I have done both and would definitely recommend group! I transferred my online membership to group cos I too fell off the rails, the same old message I got online each week didn't inspire or motivate me! I'm at group now and feeling much more positive about my weightloss. Good luck whichever way you choose to go xxx

Hi. I think it depends on how committed you are to sticking to the plan. Like you, I've done SW in the past (twice and both times in a group) so know the basics. This time round I paid for 3 months on-line membership but tbh I wish I'd saved my money and won't be renewing. At the time I signed up I hadn't discovered this brilliant site. Because, this time around, I am so committed and in the right frame of mind to do it, I know I can easily do it with all the support, ideas and knowledge from all the lovely people on here. Yes, the on-line site has different recipes and words of advice, also some amazing success stories but, so does this site. All I seem to be using it for is to log my daily food diary which, obviously, I could do anyway. Each week when I enter my weight I receive a computer generated message and that's about it. I'll probably buy a Food Directory before my membership expires but then I will definitely not be renewing.
However, between the two, I would definitely choose a group! But, as I've already said, if you're really determined to do it, I'd save your money and log on here every day! :D

I'd really like to do red plan as the ee plan never suited me. I'm thinking of joining online again as the classes always seem to just focus on the ee as it is the most popular. A friend who goes to group said the online website does not give you all the healthy extras and free foods for each plan and you have to look to your book(s) for this information. Presumably online membership gives you the access to all plans?? Would really appreciate if someone could confirm this either way. Many thanks

Hi, I decided to join a group in the end so I'm sorry but I don't know anything about the Online membership! I hope you find out! Do you find red days speeds up your weight loss? At the moment I'm on EE and all the carbs goes against every other weight loss plan I've read about. x x Also, thank you to all the responses, it was a great help to my decision - been at group for two weeks and it's going ok x x x

I signed up to online and you can choose your food diary, ee, red or green. You can find all the info you need on the site as well so you dont need to buy the books

I signed up to online and you can choose your food diary, ee, red or green. You can find all the info you need on the site as well so you dont need to buy the books
Thanks so much for that - will sign up today :)

Back