Group vs At home

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Miss Independant, 5 February 2011 Social URL.

1. Miss Independant

Miss Independant Full Member

Hi everyone,

I'm returning to SW as I didn't give it a good enough chance last time but wondered how many people go to group and how many prefer to do it at home and why before I pay out to something I'm not sure will help.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. NewDawn

NewDawn Bring on the trumpets

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(8.18%)
    I have gone back to class..................I need the discipline..........

4. sarahm85

sarahm85 Silver Member

Start Weight:
    12st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st2.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    2st4.5lb(18.57%)
    Diet:
    WW Online
    I have never gone to a SW class and have managed to do fine from home. However the first time round I tried from home my heart wasn't 100% in it so lasted about 3 weeks, and for the next couple of years I piled more weight on. This time round losing weight was something I really wanted to do so my motivation alone was enough, as well as the support from my lovely OH.

Another reason I don't go to group is the lack of training of some SW consultants receive. Now I know that this doesn't apply to all consultants, but I've read on here many times about people getting the wrong information about the plan straight from their C. Also, my mum and sister go to a group (they've tried doing it alone but they need to discipline too) and I've had to correct them on a lot of things about the plans/syns/free food etc but they tell me it must be right because their C said so!

At the end of the day we are all different, my only advice would be to join a class and see what you think, then you can decide what's best for you.

Last edited: 5 February 2011
  5. PurpleSky

PurpleSky banana phone

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(26.02%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    This is the first time i;ve ever been to a group to help slim as i;ve always done it on my own. But due to recent events, this has helped me gain my confidence to go out and mix with people again, so the group is stopping me from hiding away as i;ve signed up for 12 weeks.

Our SWC has been doing the consultant thing for 22 years and shes very good at what she does. So was lucky to find a group :D

6. Spicy

Spicy Lurker

Start Weight:
    12st5lb
    Current Weight:
    12st5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Weight Watchers
    I'm doing the plan from home. This is mainly due to money but also because I know I can't to commit to the classes each week due to work and OHs shifts.
    I've never done it at home without attending class before but I can only take it one day at a time and I'm hoping the support from here will keep me going.

7. busybee123

busybee123 Full Member

I do it from home. Never gone to class. Can neither afford nor commit to the night it's on.
    I don't have much to lose. But have lost 1/2 a stone in 4 weeks. I'm very happy with that.
    I don't need a class and someone to weigh me to keep me motivated. But understand most people do hence why classes do so well.
    Personal decision. Give it a try.

8. PurpleSky

PurpleSky banana phone

Start Weight:
    17st8lb
    Current Weight:
    13st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st8lb(26.02%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    I think i mainly do sw group as I have been suffering from agoraphobia( long story) and i saw this as a way of making myself back to the usual me. I could of carried on at home as i had lost a stone an a half before i joined but that would also mean i wouldnt be going out and seeing anyone

9. i<3jellybeans

i<3jellybeans Full Member

Start Weight:
    16st4lb
    Current Weight:
    16st4lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming world.
    I've left class before and tried to do it on my own, I tried but at the end of the day I needed someone to weigh me at the end of the week!

10. Maximus

Maximus Gold Member

Start Weight:
    17st7lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st5lb
    Lost(%):
    6st11lb(38.78%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World - The one that works!
    With me and my current mind-set it wasn't really an option.

If I couldn't commit 100% to group I'd never commit 100% to the loss.

Pleased to say that as well as being a 100%er, my attendance and plan remain 100% too.

Our consultant (who presuambly has all the stats to hand) confirms the weightloss is greater from the "stayers" than those who "weigh-and-run".

11. MrsBabyCakes

MrsBabyCakes Naughty Fridge Picker

Start Weight:
    17st9lb
    Current Weight:
    17st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st3lb(1.21%)
    Diet:
    Low fat, Low Carb, High Protein, SW tweaked
    I do it from home, and tbh I find I get a lot more support/idea's/encouragement here, than at group.

12. alexisemma31

alexisemma31 Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    I need the discipline of being weighed once a week and I think the support of a good consultant and other group members is invaluable.

The way I look at it, I was spending more than £20 a month on rubbish before SW, so a fiver a week is money well spent.

13. who_la_hoop

who_la_hoop Silver Member

Start Weight:
    16st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st7lb
    Lost(%):
    6st1.5lb(36.62%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I'm doing it from home (online membership). I've never found fear of the scales particularly motivating - sometimes the opposite, in fact. I found it easier to skip class when I was doing WW if I had a bad week than go and face the scales.

14. BeckyT

BeckyT Always trying!

Start Weight:
    13st10.5lb
    Current Weight:
    9st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    4st4.5lb(31.43%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    In the past I've always need the support of a group however I started SW at home 5 weeks ago and I'm doing well so far... I honestly think it's the support of this site that helps to keep me motivated

15. ~kerrylou~

~kerrylou~ Member

Start Weight:
    13st12lb
    Current Weight:
    10st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st2lb(22.68%)
    Diet:
    slimming world ee
    i also do it from home both times, ive now lost 11lb in 4 weeks xxx

16. dawnwynne

dawnwynne Full Member

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st6lb
    Lost(%):
    2st2lb(13.64%)
    I'm doing it from home. I'm generally not a joiner so can't really see the point. I once attended a ww meeting and was so disillusioned and ignored on my first night that really sealed it for me.
    I'm fortunate though as my daughter is doing it with me so that helps keep me motivated. A bit of friendly competition.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.