Grrr! My GP! Help!

David, I'd just go to the chemist as usual on Wednesday and not mention your doc at all.

My GP recommended LT to me last year but it wasn't until a friend lost 5 stone on it that I really took it seriously. When I went to my doc I told her I was doing LT and she was surprised but pleased. I'm assuming the chemist hadn't informed her.

Your doc is bang out of order especially as you are in good health (apart from being overweight) and how typical that they spend all that time giving you grief when you are usually lucky to get 5 mins of their time normally!

You stick with it mate!

Good luck on Wednesday.

x

Cuddly - what a lovely post. Thanks!

I think you're right. I'll just show up at the chemist and act like nothing is unusual. If they raise it with me, I'll say that I have spoken to LT who have made it clear that the chemist is a medical professional in his own right who can take his own initiative as to whether or not to offer this diet.

And, if the worst comes to the worse, all I need to do is go to another chemist.

I am just preparing a letter in my head that I'm going to write to her in two years time when I've lost all the weight, increased my body water, lowered my body fat and maintained a healthy BMI for 18 months! I'd like to see her slag off LT then!

I think that the chemist will just have 'informed' the doctor in case you go to see them for a related problem; but I don't think they'll stop supplying you. Strange isn't it, I'm on W8 vlcd and switching to CD and my doc was very happy to sign the form knew all about LL, CD, and the others and said she was happy I was doing something about my weight..... ridiculous... I'd ring the chemist and ask them or pretend nothing's happened, I'm sure it'll be fine. x

My doc knew...when i told her ...then she looked on the system and found the letter...normally they just file letters on the system as they get tons for each patient....everyones doc will have a letter somewhere..just the jobs worth receptionist (probably recieved it on a quiet day!) digging her 2 pennies worth and highlighting it!
You do not require permission,unless you have medical problems ...then you need a signed letter off your doc.... its just protocall to send them out!

Hey Han - cheers for your post. Yeah I think you're right. Funny how different doctors do different things isn't it? You'd think there'd be one standard!

Just out of interest - why are you switching from W8 to CD? I've been reading about them all and I thought W8 looked quite good... no?

I used Xenical and managed to lose weight, at first! You always made sure you were close to the loo after eating! It didn't make me change my eating habits at all!!!!

David, get that letter written and saved now and be ready to send it out in 2 years! Good on you!

x

Jeez david, what a fuss this eejit GP is making. Believe me when I say that I've worked as a nurse for 37 years and have met an awful lot of eejity doctors. Most are good, but there are plenty of duffers, who form an opinion on very little or no evidence.
You have done brilliantly after struggling at the start, so keep going! :character00115:
You're absolutely right about it being well researched and medically approved. I hope you can continue xx :hug99:

I see my GP regularly regarding my kids and apart from the initial lecture about the dangers ( and the fact she wouldn't refer me to Hope hospital) I now just turn up at the chemist, weigh and collect the following weeks supply. I work in Prestwich but found parking a nightmare so go to the one near uni. Good luck with it all

Cheers IMac.

When we've both lost the weight we can both arrange to go and see her and have one appointment after another and tell her about our success :)

Good luck with it all!

Well I've lost just over 2 stone since beginning of July - that includes one off breaks such as daughter's graduation,w/end away, camping holiday and 50th birthday. Now i've to get through a 2 week trip to to France with the family.....but we'll see how it all goes. So keep on in there - there's also a chemist in Marple....
J

Gutted for you mate... I've always had a personal & intense dislike of being told what to do or my own thoughts & opinions being restricted / censored... it's all about freedom

We are adults so allow us to make an informed educated choice of our own & at our own risk... bloody nanny state grrrr

Either change GP, change chemists or obtain LT on Ebay (caveats attached ;) )

Good luck mate - from all your posts on here you sound like you've researched VLCD thoroughly & made an informed decision before starting your LT journey... hope it works out.

when i completed my gp's details, i asked if he was going to write to them and tell them, and he said 'no, under the data protection act we are not allowed to do that without your permission'

i'd check the data protection act and have it out with the chemist! they should have told you they were doing this.

and as for the dr's, well i have posted on this before, i even had to haggle to get to see a dietician and that was a waste of time! same advice, go slow, eat less, move more, look at this pretty brochure from the government of fat people on push bikes! grrrr

at least there are other chemists you can go to.

let us know what happens.

I know Im not on a VLCD so not best to comment on things but Im really shocked to see how often this crops up. GPs 'not allowing' patients to do VLCDs thats outrageous.

A VLCD isnt something anyone does lightly (I wouldnt think) and I cant believe GPs arent being supportive when they see patients are taking positive steps to lose weight.

Its appaling people have to go private to get forms signed etc. I hope you get this sorted out, with or without your doctors support

I am horrified that the pharmacist shared your details when you have no meds or conditions! The doctor cannot tell you what to do, or stop you getting LT. It is not a prescription only medicine, if you want to put it in your body that's your free will! Medical professionals cannot do anything without your informed consent, even your blood pressure! I'd tell them where to go and find a new GP like other people have suggested. Best of luck and stick to your diet! xxx

Hi hun,

Sorry you are getting hassle, I'm sure you will sort it out. At the rate it usually takes a doctor to get a letter out when you want them to I'll be amazed if your pharmacist has heard anything from them by Wednesday!!!
Worse thing that can happen you will have to join us at Prestwich x

I asked my pharmacist if she was going to inform my GP about the diet when I filled in the form and she said no but that they liked to have the information just in case anything crops up...

The treatment you have received from you doctor is ridiculous and I say good for you for having the strength of mind (and body) to continue. I believe that you are making the right decision and that you will find a way to continue LT one way or another.

Good luck to you x

Youre right David you finally decide to do something about your weight and they have a go! I think its prob best that they do watch certain people i.e my friend did LT and she was really skinny to start with..that cant be healthy! This site has proved that so many of us have done LT and are living proof that it works and without harm!
Stick with it cant see the pharmicist wanting to turn the money down either lol xx

David, what a palava! As long as there is no contraindication from your physical health, it should not be a problem to continue. I'm sure you'll be guarding your LT jealously from now on! Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Back