Half Ton Mum

minime

Gold Member
Just off to watch this, on channel 4 just now, about 29 year old mother, weighs about 64 stones getting surgery to lose weight.

I am watching it too. Just amazing. The poor woman has a BMI of 113. I do hope the operation is the answer to her prayers as she needs some kind of miracle to regain her life.

Missed it. Oh the poor thing, I hope it works, it must feel like nothing will work when you get to that size. Hope it's on again xx

sadly she died, shame people like this arent offered cambridge, after all they cant move so they couldnt cheat. SHAME ON THE DOCTORS FOR NOT HELPING HER SOONER.

sadly she died, shame people like this arent offered cambridge, after all they cant move so they couldnt cheat. SHAME ON THE DOCTORS FOR NOT HELPING HER SOONER.

I've wondered that too ... who feeds these people? They can't get the food themselves so could be put on a closely monitored VLCD - they'd have no choice but to stick to it no matter how much they cried and yelled. It sounds harsh but it would be to save their lives.

After all, anorexics are practically force fed which is more difficult than denying someone food.

I felt so sorry for the poor woman and the others like her - getting like that is one of my greatest fears. I hate the thought of the humiliation and degradation ... doors being removed to get you out, a huge coffin the size of a piano case - doesn't bear thinking about!

I agree with you though - the doctors should have helped her sooner.

Theres a programme floating around on the UKTV channels with Richard Hammond presenting called "Inside Britains Fattest Man" starring a 35 ish Stone man named Barry. He would spend countless hours in resturants etc, drink upwards of 30 Pints on a bender and his wife would cool him a WHOLE baking dish of Cottage pie with a block of cheese grated on top - for LUNCH etc...

Thinking about it:

30 x Pints on a Friday - £75.00
20 x During the week - £50.00
1x Mega Indian Meal - £25.00
1 x HUGE shopping bill - £250

= £400 a WEEK x 4 = £1600 a MONTH x 12 = £19,200 a YEAR

I think the question should be, not who is feeding them - but without being able to work, how can you spend nearly £20k a year on food!?

I think the question should be, not who is feeding them - but without being able to work, how can you spend nearly £20k a year on food!?

Good point!!

I thought this was a very interesting programme, by a very brave lady who was prepared to tell her story to help others who were like her. However, I was disappointed that the programme makers chose not to tell us what she had done to help herself. In the programme they focussed on the fact that she needed help and no-one would give her any due to her size. I would have been interested in knowing what weight loss methods she had tried herself and probably more importantly why they didnt work. Also what did her family, friends, carers do to help the situation cos maybe I missed it but it sounded to me like they just gave her whatever food she wanted!

It was a very sad end to the story and an end that she really didnt deserve but there must have been so much more to her story that we didnt get the opportunity to find out.

Giggly

That's a very good point giggly. I watch programmes like these not only to try and get some inspiration but also as a cursory warning to myself. I've been 22st - I don't doubt I could have got heavier than that.
However, it's sometimes uncomfortable viewing as it can seem a bit 'voyeuristic' ... it almost smacks of a Victorian freak show. Like you, I really wanted to get inside her head - what (if anything) triggered it all in the first place? Had she suffered a bad childhood experience? What methods had she tried before? It didn't elaborate on the Richard Simmonds experience much at all - what help did she get there?

I can just imagine all the disgusted 'OMGs' coming from many of the thinny viewers who probably can't comprehend how I can walk around at 18st let alone empathise with the plight of someone super-morbidly obese.

Theres a programme floating around on the UKTV channels with Richard Hammond presenting called "Inside Britains Fattest Man" starring a 35 ish Stone man named Barry. He would spend countless hours in resturants etc, drink upwards of 30 Pints on a bender and his wife would cool him a WHOLE baking dish of Cottage pie with a block of cheese grated on top - for LUNCH etc...

Thinking about it:

Barry Austin is a minor celebrity here in Birmingham, well East Birmingham at least. I have heard he gets a lot of the food and drinks for free!

I too watched this - it was very sad that she died, especially for her children.

It was interesting to see that her older daughter had been overweight, but had been disciplined enough to lose it at such an early age. Sadly, I got the impression that her daughter was the main carer - I guess it'd be hard for her to be firm with her own mother, and tell her she wouldn't give her the food she wanted.

I also wonder why these people aren't 'forced' onto a meal-replacement plan. The programme said that the woman lost four stone in just three weeks following her bypass surgery - think what she could've acieved on a vlcd!

It was tragic, but a bit frustrating that the woman seemed to see herself as a victim who was being denied help. Yes, the health authorities should've done more to help sooner, but we also have to take responsibility for our own health and what we put in our mouths.

Jo x

but we also have to take responsibility for our own health and what we put in our mouths.

Jo x

I couldn't have said it better myself Jo. Yes, i felt for the lady especially her children, but she just continued to eat unhealthily. If she really wanted to prolong her life she could have at least made a start on getting some weight off. Oh how easy it would be for all of us to have that operation. For some of us it isn't that easy. :(

But how many of us have KNOWN we're obese but carried on putting junk into our mouths anyway? I've been in a mental mindset where I've thought "Oh - I'm 10st overweight already, what difference is a pasty going to make?" or thought the task ahead too daunting to even contemplate. Twisted thinking is very powerful.
I dread to think what would be going through my mind if I was 40 or 50st.

As for weight loss surgery being the 'easy' option ... from what I've seen and heard, it isn't easy at all - it just seems that way. People who've had the surgery still can't just eat what they want (just in smaller portions) but have to be very carful about what they consume.
Let's face it - there IS no 'easy option'.

i felt for the lady especially her children, but she just continued to eat unhealthily. If she really wanted to prolong her life she could have at least made a start on getting some weight off.

Unless you've been in her shoes, you cannot judge. You can question, but as long as we all realise that there are often good reasons why this can be incredibly hard.

ive watched a programme called half tonne hospital which is based in america on one of the discovery channels
the peoples insurance companys pay for them to go there
some of the patients who were still mobile were going around the rooms of those who were bed bound taking meal orders to be placed with local takeaways who were dilivering to the hospital

i know there all adults and make their own choices but what is the point in having a specialized weightloss hospital and allowing the patients to pig out every nite?

in the end they had to segregate the patients into 2 groups, those who acctually wanted to follow the programme and those who wanted to continue the way they were

i think they really needed to step up the councelling service they had in place afterall there must have been a reason for each of those patients to request that they be accepted into the hospital

But how many of us have KNOWN we're obese but carried on putting junk into our mouths anyway? I've been in a mental mindset where I've thought "Oh - I'm 10st overweight already, what difference is a pasty going to make?" or thought the task ahead too daunting to even contemplate. Twisted thinking is very powerful.

As for weight loss surgery being the 'easy' option ... from what I've seen and heard, it isn't easy at all - it just seems that way. People who've had the surgery still can't just eat what they want (just in smaller portions) but have to be very carful about what they consume.

I agree with every word Russiandoll :)

As someone who has been very very obese(was 25 stone when i started) of course i knew what i was eating wasn't good for me but it isn't always as black/white as that. It took me nearly 2 years after having my son to sort my head out enough to do something about my weight. Had i of not got into the right mindset who knows where i would be now, i dread to think.

And as for thinking surgery is the easy option??? I can't see how having a major operation like that can ever be considered easy, just my opinion though.

apsolutly agree

it was said on another thread about this why she didnt do something when she was 30 stone insted of waiting till she was 64 stone but they could say that about me, why didnt i do something at 15 stone insted of waiting till i hit 23 stone. i dont recall the programme saying if she had tryed over things over the years. for me ive tryed sw, ww, rc, atkins all with some initial sucess but never managed to get things under control which is how im now on cambridge

I watched another programme after this one on one of the other channels. A doctor on there said to his patient that once you get into the supermorbidly obese range, your metabolism is so shot that no diet will work. Its only the surgery where part of the intestines are bypassed thats helps with the weight loss.

Back