Happy clappy - encouraging or not?

With all good intentions to SWC's it does need to liven up....because im sure everyone can admit to either texting people or nodding off heehee.
Ruthy xxx

After visiting my first SW class for over 5 years I'm shocked that it hasn't moved on! Discussing why 'joan put on a pound' and what is she doing about it next week is very cringeworthy.
Lighterlife had a good balance of chatting time, topic time and counsellor time.... One good thing it had going for it - no food was rubbish though!!
I think the whole SWC role needs a review, are they there for themselves or as a resource for US?!!
Anyway... I digress... roll on week 1!!
XX

Even the comedian Peter Kay has taken the mick outta slimming world, on one of his tours he mentions about people clapping people who have gained that week.....and its so true in what he said.

"what do you get if you take the C off CHIPS" Classic

Ruthy xxx

well i just been to my first SW meeting and omg the only clapping and all they did was talk about what a **** week they had including details abput rows with husband, fights with kids all i thought was omg get me out of here. ive done sw before and my other class was better but not too impressed with this one but its not going to put me off as i really need to loss weight.

I really don't see the point in reading out every single loss and gain unless of course someone has had a fantastic gain or it is their first week. I agree it'd be much more helpful if we all just sat around and chatted and exchanged tips and recipes. It's always soo much better on the buffet nights where we all just get to chat and we don't do the weights.

That said I HATE it when people talk to each other when the leader is talking, it's just so rude!

If you put on or maintain then she just reads out the total they've lost so no-one knows which is good I think.

Wow, your sounds really good! and that is an excellent way to do that. Ours has scared off 3 women with her negativity about weight gain to specific individuals, and with one woman even said her weight to the entire class which I was horrified about and she hasn't been back since, and neither have 2 other of the heavier ladies in class which I really find dissapointing. Everyone is vulnerable about their weight loss/gain and if you have taken the brave first step to come to one of these classes on your own (I am lucky with a bigger group of friends) then it is especially daunting.

I would love to have a meeting like yours, that is exactly what I was hoping for, so will have to start looking around.

x

I really don't see the point in reading out every single loss and gain unless of course someone has had a fantastic gain or it is their first week.

That said I HATE it when people talk to each other when the leader is talking, it's just so rude!

I have to agree, I preferred that bit about ww meetings, no one was singled out unless it was a big loss. and the talking thing does my head in, we have several groups that we have to shhhh every week just so we can hear our leader

Hi both, it is rude, totally agree, but i am also guilty of whispering simply because the SWL has not grabbed my attention. Ive been know to sit on the back row whispering like a school kid and can quite honestly say even with all my SWL best intentions its still boring. So if you leave the class thinking thank god thats over with.....what frame of mind does that set you up with for your diet for the following week?

DO ya get me?
Ruthy xxx

P.S im just glad i found this site lol. Its the only thing that keeps my head above water some days
Thanks to you all xxxx

interesting thread

I am really lucky our leader Jo is great. She has called me at home a couple of times to see how I am doing and her classes are good, we have a raffle for breakfast lunch and dinner. she goes round every one says what they have lost and :happy096: yes there is the claps.... But i find this very encouraging, if you put on (which i did last week) she just says you have gained but does not say what. I really like the class but a bit of excercise sounds fun too. xx

I'm with you skinny monkey - I find my class fun, a pleasure to go to and a great source of inspiration, and I think the clapping is a good thing.

I'm really lucky our consultant is fantastic, like some of the others mentioned, she doesnt mention how much of a gain, just that its a gain and says "(name) is on a fabulous Xstone Xlbs" and takes time to speak to them if necessary.

I have only been going since August but I have stayed to class every week bar 1 (where I had a prior engagement).

We have a raffle, slimmer of the week basket, and its great for new members to get tips and hints - its ok having the books but the real sources of knowledge are the people who stay to class and share this information.

I say - clap away!

Clapping sounds like marmite! :) LOL

You all sound like you have really lovely meetings and you are right, the real sources of info are the people that stay behind to share. I will have to start really looking around to find a better meeting then!!

x

God, we are not on a man hunt here, but simply saying that the likes of WW are always looking at new ways to revamp its image by one way or another.

If i had my own slimming class id do light hearted chat and ask the people who have done really well to share their week with us, then some exercise maybe 20mins, then go for a drink in the local.....diet coke obviously ....ahem. ;)

I'd join ur group skinnymalink!! Bit far to travel every week from Scotland tho :).
I only joined (again ) last week but seriously plan to go & stay at every meeting although I have to agree with some of the posts SW could do with a wee update.

Hmmm I like the idea of exercise, but the whole thing with SW is that they say you don't need to do any and you can still be successful. Also I can see it being slightly intimidating to larger members (if anyone laughs at me saying 'large member' then I shall personally comed round and hit you with a wet fish) of the group. Still, I know where you're coming from- doing it at class might be a bit more motivating than forcing myself to do it at home.

Also, I know this sounds bad, but while on the training course to be a leader- if they're not up to scratch, they shouldn't be passed! I have had one leader in particular who was absolutely DIRE and also seemed as though she didn't have a clue about the diet! She definitely shouldn't have been allowed a group (cringes just thinking about it).

OMG! it makes you wonder what they are playing at! its as if they are desperate for leaders in that area! surley you could report them!
Ruthy xxx

Suppose u cld contact SW direct, unless u make them aware then how will they know of any problems. They probably just look at the weekly numbers & takings.

Back